• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Disgaea - Complete Series DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
You know what Funi? If you're just gonna use funds just to please those single digit fans, you might as well churn out Koi Kaze.

...least that one deserves a second wind...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
single digit fans

The anime may not have a lot of fans, but the games do. There are plenty of people who haven't fallen into this trap yet.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Pros: It's a fairly good release of Disgaea, the anime

Cons: it's a release of Disgaea, the anime.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
Is it true holding down the fast forward, stop, and eject buttons all the girls in the series go topless?
sorry, couldn't resist a cheat code opportunity.

I read the review just for kicks as I've given up buying any game-to-anime adaptation ever again. Having just come off watching Xenosaga, I was disappointed the anime told the same story and the character designs were worse than the game.

I suppose if there's a way to earn money from a franchise, there's no stopping the expense at trying to milk it.

For FUNimation, I can only assume this was a very low-cost rescue to the point one sale covers the license cost and the other sale is profit.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Hey, well I like Disgea, the ending was pretty good and the Prinies were awesome. The whole "DUDE" after everything they say is like a pun on "NYA" that cat girls say after every sentence. However, there are people that actually say "DUDE" at the end of every sentence in daily life, where as the are no people that use "Nya" at the end of a sentence in daily life.

I mean sure some of the characters where annoying but you see little of them and Etna makes up for short comings the other characters may have, She is just a fun character all together.

All in all, the show is alot of fun if you don't restive your mind with all the preconditions that show must meet like the Game did. Just think of the Anime and the Game as two unrelated entities that only have characters and name in common.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Hey, well I like Disgea, the ending was pretty good and the Prinies were awesome.
Excuse me, I believe it is "dood".

As to the anime. I remember when it first released. I checked out the first 3-4 episodes and stopped. Disgaea is much better when the characters talk during short segments inbetween levels.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Great game, not so great anime.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand video game anime, its just like when they made an anime after Devil may cry, just mediocre. Disgaea is known for over the top action in the attack choices, and off the wall comedy, with a fun story with fun characters. When a game, with character artwork slide cutscenes, is more engaging then the thing ment for just watching, then we have a problem! Why is the animation SSOOO bad!?! why is the comedy so bland, why is the action so lifless? I just don't get it, this isn't that hard to accomplish, its money left on the table. I know as a rule adaptations of video games are bad, but they dont have to be, it just doesn't seem that hard.
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
This show is awful and a cheap cash-in execution of a source material that can and should make for a good cartoon, but I don't get this:
Quote:
− Cartoonish look

This isn't the first time when ANN has treated "cartoony" or "comic bookish" art as a minus, and this time we have a reviewer who enjoyed Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt no less. It's like, for some writers, even if they *personally enjoy* cartoony art they feel like they still need to somehow look down on the idea of using it in a Japanese cartoon.

Rushed art, or art that looks like it had no effort put into it naturally deserves to be treated as a minus... but I don't think "cartoony art" should. Of course it's not going to be for everyone and some people will find it too goofy, but same applies to anime genres - it's the visual-reviewing equivalent of listing "it's a romance and some people might not like that kind of thing" as a supposedly "negative" aspect of Paradise Kiss.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The first time I watched this anime was before I realized it was adapted from a video game. I kept hearing good things about Disgaea, but I didn't realize they were talking about the games and not the anime. So I watched the anime and kept waiting for the "good" that was never going to come. I ended up watching it all the way through anticipating it getting better.

Made me have unhappy. Crying or Very sad
Weasels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
What I hated most about the anime was how they messed up the story so badly. They basically completely left out the part where Lamington was scheming something, and let Vulcanus do what he wanted because it didn't threaten his plans. Now he was just a stupid and uncaring seraph who spoiler[killed the cutie]

Even though I liked Disgaea 2's story less than the original's, if they made an anime of it that stuck to the story better I think it would be much better
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
I bought it and started watching it last night. To be honest, Im really enjoy it. Sure its pretty low tech, but Im not bothered by it. I've never played the game and probably wont so this is a nice substitution to an extent. Flonn is cute as hell and Etna is just so fun to follow. Laharl is kinda boring doing the same crap that he also does. But Im watching this mainly for flonn and Etna after playing through Trinity Universe and falling in love with the two chars in the game. Going to finish it tonight and Im looking forward to it. I guess if you aren't expecting a lot, Disgaea can be a lot of fun to watch.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
My own rule says the actual rating for an animé is that from ANN minus one or more levels.

So this animé is at best "decent" (though all of "decent" animes I have seen were actually quite bad, not "decent"; but I have to use ANN's wording here).
nakobass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I truly enjoyed this anime. It has the same spirit and energy as the Game. I just wish the Xenosaga anime was just as good.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
My own rule says the actual rating for an animé is that from ANN minus one or more levels.

So this animé is at best "decent" (though all of "decent" animes I have seen were actually quite bad, not "decent"; but I have to use ANN's wording here).

I've raised my grading standards a bit over the past couple of months, so that may not be a safe assumption anymore. Besides, Carl also reviewed this title when it was in its single releases a couple of years back and was harsher than I was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2