• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomohiro Katō Sentenced to Death for Akihabara Killings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KN_guro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Good riddance!
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
I have no sympathy for murderers but I oppose the death penalty on the basis of human imperfection; no system is perfect and someone innocent is going to be (and most likely, already has been) executed due to a failure in the system.

I prefer non-irreversible (but no less severe) methods of punishment.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
It's ridiculous, that in some countries such person would be alive, safe and sound and live a rest of his life at the expenses of taxpayers. For cases of this kind, when there's no doubt about criminal's guilt, there should be no other punishment than death.
Failachu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that Japan still practiced capital punishment. How quickly does the inmate get executed? Or is it like in the U.S. where it only happens after 10 years and several failed appeals later? Research time I suppose~
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
No sympathy, he got what came to him, good riddance and burn in hell.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
It's ridiculous, that in some countries such person would be alive, safe and sound and live a rest of his life at the expenses of taxpayers.

not a very good argument since it actually costs the taxpayers MORE (at least in the us, thanks to the appeal process) when someone is sentenced to death then it would to leave them in prison for the rest of their life.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
while there is a certain balance to it, death is death. to treat any death as more appropriate than any other can lessen the spirit, and one death cannot undo the death of others.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
not a very good argument since it actually costs the taxpayers MORE (at least in the us, thanks to the appeal process) when someone is sentenced to death then it would to leave them in prison for the rest of their life.

But the message it delivers to future criminals is countless times more effective. I'm amazed that despite having overflowing prisons, you guys still preach such logic and humanity.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'm not opposed to death penalty. We just had a triple homicide killer escape from an open prison. He just walked away like anyone could leave their home. How's that for a penalty?
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
Japan's death sentences are usually carried out in secret, by hanging.

However, he could be on death row for quite a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan
animefan86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:

But the message it delivers to future criminals is countless times more effective. I'm amazed that despite having overflowing prisons, you guys still preach such logic and humanity.

There are those who aren't afraid of death and/or not as intimidated as people were back in the old days when public executions were legal, even so they still considered that as cruel and barbaric. Even though there has been executions, there are still more murder cases in this world. I'm not taking sides, it's just how I see it from my point of view.

Last edited by animefan86 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
I didn't know that Japan still practiced capital punishment. How quickly does the inmate get executed? Or is it like in the U.S. where it only happens after 10 years and several failed appeals later? Research time I suppose~

It can be pretty long, but they're not as light about it. For example, Tsutomu Miyazaki was killed right after the Akihabara incident (though supposedly this was rushed into because of that ) although he was sentenced to death in 1997.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
I have no sympathy for murderers but I oppose the death penalty on the basis of human imperfection; no system is perfect and someone innocent is going to be (and most likely, already has been) executed due to a failure in the system.

I prefer non-irreversible (but no less severe) methods of punishment.

Quote:
Police apprehended the suspect against the wall of a branch of Satō Musen, a discount store chain of electronics and appliances.

I would assume, taking the above quote from the original story, that he was either ID'd by witnesses, or he had blood on his clothes, that he was probably NOT innocent here.

I don't have sympathies for murderers, especially mass murderers, and I honestly think once a conviction is in place for them and it's been proven without a shadow of a doubt that yes, they did murder all these people, they should be put to death immediately.

Non-irreversible? Isn't that what we're doing now by sticking them in jail for the rest of their lives without the possibility of parole? Oh but wait! They now have loopholes for good behavior! Time served!

This guy needs to be taken out so he doesn't hurt future innocent people.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Good, hope it's agonizing. No excuses for doing something like that and he deserves everything that he gets and more.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:

Our overflowing prisons have more to do with strict anti-drug laws than murders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4