• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

yes
90%
 90%  [ 226 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
I don't know
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I love egoist
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 249

egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Yes.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The very first anime I ever really watched and enjoyed were the two Galaxy Express 999 movies from 1979 and 1981, and two of my earliest anime obsessions were DBZ and Tenchi Muyo! from 1989 and 1992 respectively. It wasn't until I saw Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, the Ghost in the Shell movie, and Gunsmith Cats all in very short succession that I really ever saw anything post-1994. My DVD collection also includes the likes of AKIRA, Arcadia of My Youth, at least five pre-1994 Gundam titles, Nausicaä, Macross, and the Miyu & You're Under Arrest OVAs, all from 1994 or earlier. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of what I've seen from that era that I don't have on DVD. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen 12 shows that date back to 1994 or earlier, but I liked most of them. They are:

Ah My Goddess OVA
Call Me Tonight
Dirty Pair Flash
Dragon Half
G-Gundam
Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki
Video Girl Ai
Ranma 1/2
Kekko Kamen
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Dragonball/Z

The bolded ones are the only shows I can say I truly disliked. Call Me Tonight was just stupid, and I blame Justin Sevakis for the pain that show caused me since he did Buried Treasure on it. And I know it's an uncommon opinion, but I hated Captain Tylor. It's unfunny, luck isn't entertaining, and that crew is just so idiotic and unlikeable it's ridiculous.

Tenchi Muyo is the only thing one that list I enjoyed greatly. I know people say it hasn't aged well, but I watched it about 2 years ago, and found it quite funny. I find it hard to believe that it's the father or harem shows since hardly any harem shows today are anywhere near as enjoyable as it; it must be the step-father of harem shows.

Everything else I found thoroughly enjoyable, but not that great. I wish I would watch more 80's shows to be more nerdy, but not many really entice me or are available (legally or otherwise).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Tenchi Muyo is the only thing one that list I enjoyed greatly. I know people say it hasn't aged well, but I watched it about 2 years ago, and found it quite funny. I find it hard to believe that it's the father or harem shows since hardly any harem shows today are anywhere near as enjoyable as it; it must be the step-father of harem shows.

Agreed emphatically. The original OVAs and the first TV series (Universe) are really good (though I suspect I'm in the minority on the latter), and even the much-maligned Tenchi in Tokyo was...okay. It wasn't until the post-2000 productions that the Tenchi franchise seemed to degrade, at least if GXP is any indication. I'm admittedly hesitant to see the third OVA series because of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I definitely agree on Universe. Actually, when I watched them back to back, I enjoyed Universe more than the OVAs, which I may be in the minority on. I do disagree that Tokyo was OK, because it was utter junk in my opinion. I got to episode 16 and then went to TV.com for summaries of the last 8 episodes. How I even made it that far is a mystery to me. The third OVA is also junk, so you're better off not watching it unless you want to join everyone else in hating it. The three OVAs, Universe, Tokyo, and the three Movies are the only Tenchi things I've seen since only the main branch interests me, and everything else just looks or sounds pretty bad, at least compared to the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The first season of Ranma 1/2 and the Oh! My Goddess OAVs were my gateway shows. From there I went on to The Tenchi Muyo OAVs and the original Bubble Gum Crisis OAVs. I enjoyed them all and that is why I am still involved in anime.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
A resounding YES! Very Happy I translated two WMT animes, and I enjoyed what I saw of Peter Pan no Bouken as well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how age relates to this. Obviously if you're older you're more likely to have seen and enjoyed a pre-94 show. It's usually newer, younger fans that don't peer out past 4 years old.

Taking a stab at it:
I'm 20 almost 21
egoist is a little older than me, so 21 or 22
Nagisa is mid to late 20's
Alan45 is ancient
and HyugaHinata is...40's?

So for Nagisa, Alan45, and HH to say that they've watched shows that are at least 17 years old isn't that surprising. However, egoist and myself are more like anomalies since we're both young and have seen AND enjoyed (that's an important part) shows almost as old and older than ourselves. I also think we haven't been fans for that long, with me only been one for about 3 years, though I'm not 100% certain about egoist.

I wish there was a way to correlate your age to this.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I selected "I don't know" because it's really hard to say if I enjoyed anything before 1994.

Take, for example, our wondrous Robotech and Voltron, two significant series which got many into this thing called "anime". I recently tried re-watching the former, but couldn't get into it.

Thus, enjoyment failed. However, this is not to say the series won't get better if I just hang in there. I do recall some scenes, though I'm not sure if they're from this series or a similar one.

I just ordered the complete series of the latter and I'm hoping to hell my memory fails me to the point I can't recall too much of this while watching all 140+ episodes. Popcorn on the ready.

I also watched (and bought) Akira, and I'm asking myself what I ever saw in this movie. It's not bad, but it certainly was difficult to chug through because I had completely forgotten about the bratty attitudes, especially from the test subject. Sorry, just in case people didn't see it, made it spoiler free without using tags.

Then there are all those series I have completely forgotten about, having spent a good chunk of money at the rental shop.

That's why it's "I don't know". Until I sit and re-watch it, I can only go from memory and that's never a good judge of quality.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
anomalies since we're both young and have seen AND enjoyed (that's an important part) shows almost as old and older than ourselves.

What is so strange about that? Don't we read books/watch films made long before we was born?

I'm curious about the date- what was so special in 1994? Why not, let's say, 1989?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, egoist and myself are more like anomalies since we're both young and have seen AND enjoyed (that's an important part) shows almost as old and older than ourselves. I also think we haven't been fans for that long, with me only been one for about 3 years, though I'm not 100% certain about egoist.

Rather than have you play in the dark, I'll just reveal the relevant facts. I'll be 22 on the 7th of April, and I have been a hardcore anime fan for a little over 5 years. I was really into anime during my childhood (which was when I really loved Saint Seiya) with stuff like CCS, Inuyasha, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, and many others. But none of them is the reason why I voted yes. I've given Saint Seiya a full re-watch recently, and I've been watching Fist of the North Star lately.

Quote:
I'm curious about the date- what was so special in 1994? Why not, let's say, 1989?

Because there's some extremely popular stuff produced on 1995. I also don't think early nineties was a strong period (at least not anywhere near the eighties with all the big shonen) , which is why I included it.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
So I'm joining the club because lots of my favourites come from the time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth.

I still don't see the reason why wouldn't I enjoy things older than me in the case they have more pros than cons?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
@ The King of Harts

65 isn't ancient. At least that is what I tell myself. You do have a point, however. When I got started in anime (1997) the 1994 and 1995 shows were just coming to market in the U.S. The earlier 1980s shows were still available.

Being older did produce an odd effect. Since I was already an adult, I missed all those early TV shows such as Robotech that the first wave of anime fans got hooked on. All those shows Mike Toole goes on about are as blank to me as they would be to some one with only a couple years of anime experience. To this day I have yet to see anime on television.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes, I'm currently watching Galaxy Express 999 the tv series through ann and really like it. Other series I had enjoy that was produced before 1994 is Legend of the Galactic Heroes; it hard to get people to watch these two series, since they are both old and very long. Though in Galaxy Express case, you can skip the tv show and just watch the movies. There is alot more shows, but I too lazy to try to lst them all at the moment.

The King of Harts wrote:
I'm curious as to how age relates to this. Obviously if you're older you're more likely to have seen and enjoyed a pre-94 show. It's usually newer, younger fans that don't peer out past 4 years old.

I'm 18 and had been watching anime, since I was in elementary school.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
@egoist
Thanks for being my flashlight in the dark.

EireformContinent wrote:
What is so strange about that? Don't we read books/watch films made long before we was born?

You know how the anime fandom is a "now" fandom? In that they want to watch what's coming out right now, or came out last season rather than diving back 5 or so years? That's what makes us anomalies. While our other young and fairly new brethren are uninterested in traveling past anything older than Gurren Lagann, we're checking out shows as old as ourselves. That's not normal compared to others in our situation.

I'd like to see some young, new fans chime on this to see if my and many older fans' observations are correct.

DarkRoseFairy wrote:
I'm 18 and had been watching anime, since I was in elementary school.

So for 13 years? Well, even though you're still quite young, you've been watching anime for a long time, so it's still not surprising to learn that you've been watching pre-94 shows. Now, if you've been an anime fan for 4 years and watched pre-94 shows, it'd be out of the realm of "normal".

I think whether one is willing to venture that far back is some odd formula involving your experience and age, with experience being the most important since you can start watching anime at any given time depending on the circumstances (parents are fans etc...).

Age is also least important because I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone who was a new fan and 35 watched older shows because of maturity. I'd imagine a mature 35 year old is less likely to have preconceived judgments on something that's 17 years old than someone that is 17 years old. I just think it's less likely that a 35 year old would complain about "ugly" art or what have you.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7