• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shows Watched Per Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much anime (TV, OVAs, Specials, and Movies) do you watch per year?
1-20
39%
 39%  [ 44 ]
21-40
16%
 16%  [ 19 ]
41-60
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
61-80
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
81-100
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
101+
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 112

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I've only been watching anime since about July of 08, but I've seen -as in sampled- at least 296 shows, movies, and OVAs. I've only finished 269 of them, but I'll have 4 more when the Spring Season ends and 10 more on hold, meaning I'll watch them eventually (maybe not Urusei Yatsura, though, so maybe only 9). There's also another 15 potentially coming up on the Spring docket. I've also only dropped 12 shows, but I still have 93 episodes of Shippuden and 63 episodes of Kenshin under my belt, and I may still yet pick Kurokami and Dragon Crisis back up. So my "Completed" list isn't the entire story.

So if we look at averages going by my total sampled list, I watch on average 98.6 shows per year.

If we go by just my completed list, the average is only 89.6 shows per year.

Since I now watch currently airing shows, which is something I avoided until this Winter Season, I'm pretty confident my average per year will spike dramatically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Back when I first started watching anime, say five or six years ago, I might have been following 6-10 shows per season. Now I'm down to 2-4 shows per season. There are fewer shows being aired, and fewer and fewer that appeal to me. I'm on the older end of the anime viewing spectrum (>60) so my experience is probably not relevant to the vast bulk of the audience which seems to be between 14 and 30.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I may have a problem. I have, at minimum, 30 shows on the next closest person. C'mon egoist, I need you to vote so I feel better about myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Looking at my anime list here on ANN, leaving out the movies I probably have 260 complete series viewed. Based on those alone (leaving out partially completed series which I have like 280 of), over about 11 years of fandom that means I average about 24 complete series per year, which seems ridiculous to me. I guess when a lot of them are 12 episode series or 6 episode OVAs, it doesn't sound as bad.

If you include the stuff I didn't finish, that means I try to watch an average of 49 shows a year, but many of those I don't make it past episode 3.

Anyway, I went with 21-40 because it probably best fits in that range.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't count it. I just add it to my anime list, and according to that it's over 550 + over 100 hentai (which is hidden for the time being) for what I'd estimate 5.5 years of fandom. I don't know whether I watch more or less than I did back then. There's certainly a lot less re-watches, and no MMORPG whatsoever these days. Not to mention I don't just go around sampling first episodes without checking a minimum beforehand.

So, in terms of non hentai new* series, it's at a rate of 100 per year. The volume of hentai increased lately, and because I've never added them to my list it's incomplete, but I'd expect at least 200 in total.

*I'd also add at least 150 complete re-watches on the top of that.

I'd be more interesting if I had an episode count. Considering that I tend to go for long stuff, and even re-watch it.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
You know I completely forgot about including rewatches in these numbers. That would definitely bump me into the next category, 41-60. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd like it to be higher, but right now this would be closer to 1-20 than anything else. I'm not going out of my way to watch too much anime lately.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
My viewing habits have changed a lot over the past two years, so I went with those numbers instead of an average.

I used to just watch one show at a time, and only once it was completed while still watching InuYasha way back when.

Without re-watches, I'm at 26 titles. If you include re-watches, I hit 44 last year. It was about the same last year. I remember when I first started coming to ANN, I only had around 102 titles and now I'm sitting at 219 completed, not including the ones that are still running. I don't know how the rest of you have so much time...

I'm going crazy just trying to keep up with my back log, the wedding, my art, and my job. Even worse, my fiance and I are now local political activists. Next year, I may try to watch over 100 new-to-me titles. That means, I would completely wipe out my backlog and introduce new stuff as well. Just can't afford that much time in 2011.

I attribute my new found love for streaming anime to Crunchyroll. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Listeria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
When I was younger I know I watched every anime I could watch on TV. Then of course, my viewing habits changed. I just recently went back to watching anime on DVD or stream it online so I'm not updated on the anime terms and shows that are worth watching.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Since January 2009, I have watched 173 anime TV series (that number will jump up to 183 over the next week or so as the Winter season comes to an end), 26 OAVs and 22 movies to completion. I have 80+ TV series in my DVD/BD backlog. We are about to enter a very full Spring season.

So yeah, I see a lot of anime viewing in my future.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Since September 2010 I have watched 46 TV series, Ovas, Movies, etc etc... so take that for whatever it's worth, haha.

I guess the numbers kind of even out inbetween how many short ovas or short series there are compared to how many long shows that only count as 1 series entry. Assuming I keep this pace though, i'll be in the 81-100 shows per year bracket. I am also 'not' counting re-watches.

@Bentobox - I know you're just DYING to watch God Knows Season 2.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't count how many shows I watch per year, but I doubt that I go beyond 1-20, as my interest in anime has dwindled. I don't think I'll stop watching it in the nearest future, but I don't watch as many as I used to.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:

@Bentobox - I know you're just DYING to watch God Knows Season 2.

Actually, yes, I am. Smile

Seriously, I'm watching it. Not because I think it's going to be good... but because I think it's going to be so terrible that it's worth watching just to laugh at it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So, you'll definitely see me around on that thread again if I have enough time. I'm sure that's something to look forward to.

Honestly though, I do want to see how it ends. Even though the show is pure torture, it has a great concept and I have already invested too much time in it to NOT see how it ends.

I plan to take care of backlog this summer and then pick up with more streaming stuff in the fall. It looks like there's only 2-3 that I'll be watching out of the spring line-up and I hope fall brings more.

I already know Eva 2.22 will be watched this week along with the completion of Those Who Hunt Elves and Season 1 of YuYu Hakusho in the weeks to follow. I would like to knock out all the rest of the series I have in my anime room, but I just don't see that happening this year. We have a wedding and I'm preparing for several 2012 conventions. I've lost weight and need new cosplay outfits and have a lot of new art to produce, print, and finish. There are just too many things on my plate, sadly. I anticipate that, including the Winter line-up that is just finishing, I will complete around 35 titles this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
@Bentobox

Ah the point of no return... being 'committed' to a show. Always an awful feeling but I can relate. I was done with the show after that 'buggy' game episode... but sometimes I'd pop my head into the thread to see what gems you left there in the discussion. Nice to see you posting again, good luck with all your stuff.

If you're watching God Knows S2 maybe i'll take a look at the thread just for kicks Anime hyper.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for almost 3 years, and including movies, series, and OVAs I have seen about 300 titles. That is a little deceiving though, because I am really into anime shorts (like the Animatrix, Voices of a Distant Star and AniKuri 15) and they are each counted as their own title. I've seen about 50 shorts, so say 250 titles over nearly 3 years puts me in the 81-100 range.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2