• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Error Reports on Picture

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Why the heck is this horse on the page of Da! Da! Da! (manga)? I wanted to report it by the button and suddenly found out the "Report an error" button does not allow you to report wrong picture.

Maybe someone took "Da! Da! Da!" as the sound of horses' hoofs. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads-up. Situation taken care of. ele_yuna won't be spamming the encyclopedia anymore.

Last edited by areaseven on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote
In addition to pictures that are simply incorrect, I found there are other occasions require reporting the picture:

1. When the picture is the cover of VHS/DVD, which is against the rule. I'm not sure why did ANN establish this rule (maybe not to get it confused with reviews/releases, which use VHS/DVD covers), but since there it is, we should follow it. I've found several pictures for anime are VHS/DVD covers. However, I found it extremely hard to find representative but non-cover picture for manga, unless the manga-ka had drawn a centerfold-styled poster (usually included in a tankoubon).

2. Pictures for people. Some pictures are black-and-white and extremely fuzzy/grainy. Unlike pictures for anime/manga, one can't submit a new picture for a person to replace the old one, even if a far better picture is readily available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chris keck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Dormcat's questions reminded me of a couple of ANN image policies that I've been wondering about.

Why are images of People restricted to 100x100 pixels?
Images for Anime and Manga entries can be any size as long as they are less than 100kB. Images submitted of People must be exactly 100x100 pixels. If someone has a good image of a person that isn't 100x100 and they don't know how to edit the image size they can't submit it. I would think that if your system can automatically resize the images for Anime and Manga it should be able to do the same for images for People.

Why is it alright to steal images but not text?
When you submit a plot summary it says on the submission page,
Quote:
Don't take someone else's plot summary, write your own. We don't want to get sued for copyright infrigement, now do we?
(Note, infringement is misspelled.) There isn't any such warning on the image submission page. Images can be copyrighted just the same as written material.

Also, in Dormcats post it says,
Quote:
When the picture is the cover of VHS/DVD, which is against the rule.
Actually the image submission page says that it should not be a cover, not that it cannot be a cover. I agree that with some of the less well known titles it is difficult to find anything but cover images.

chris keck

Last edited by chris keck on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
If someone has a good image of a person that isn't 100x100 and they don't know how to edit the image size they can't submit it.

Worse yet: people with very limited knowledge of image editing could result in laughable pictures. Here are "good" examples:

A picture of Mayumi YAMAGUCHI (#4038) from aksent, her agency:

It is 150 x 200, so the easiest way is crop the height to 150 by removing a little (~10 pixels) on top and ~40 pixels from the bottom, then resize it (while maintaining the width/height ratio) to 100 x 100.

But the person who submitted her picture simply resized it to 100 x 100 without cropping or maintaining the ratio, so the picture is vertically squeezed, and this is the disastrous result in her ANN entry:

If you look closely you can see the pixelated color blocks generated by high JPEG compression. Now, if this is an anime/manga entry, I could submit a properly edited picture to replace it, but I couldn't report nor submit a new one.

Another example is Kiki's Delivery Service:

I managed to find the original picture; it is a 1024 x 768 (4:3) wallpaper, so I resized it to 200 x 150 (200 is the maximum width or height for an anime/manga picture):

[EDIT: replaced with another picture]

Apparently the poster of the original picture simply resized it to 200 x 200. Looks like Encyclopedists don't have time to deal with this issue yet, so there are two identical pictures with different proportions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1