• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
....what the heck is exactly going on here? It's the part that involves Funimation that confuses me, I don't remember ever seeing YGO DVDs from them and that seems to be what they're implying here. Anyway, wowza.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Now it is clear for everybody to see who are the real thieve$ in the anime industry.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, what in the world? Does this mean 4Kids no longer has rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! in the US? What's going to happen?

Also, Funimation did indeed release Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs for 4Kids, I believe. I'm relieved they're not being affected by this lawsuit.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that FUNimation doesn't get affected by this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Whoa...this completely took me by surprise and I think YuGiOh is one of 4Kids' few remaining big licenses...

wandering-dreamer wrote:
....what the heck is exactly going on here? It's the part that involves Funimation that confuses me, I don't remember ever seeing YGO DVDs from them and that seems to be what they're implying here. Anyway, wowza.

I think Funi handled most, if not all, of 4Kids' YuGiOh DVD releases (like the boxsets that came out awhile back).
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Think they distributed some, pretty sure those uncut ones were.

But hey, does this mean no more Dubbed YGO from 4Kids? o.o
FireFistPortgasDAce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoa i really hope this means no more Yugioh from 4Kids
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that Funimation isn't listed as a defendent because they had no part the agreement 4Kids had with TV Tokyo. But what I wonder is if Funimation was aware of what 4Kids was (allegedly) doing in short-changing TV Tokyo. If Funimation knew that 4Kids was intentionally underpaying TV Tokyo and didn't say anything about it, then TV Tokyo and others in Japan might well view that as acting in bad faith. If so, there would likely be consequences for Funimation which would be bad for us US anime fans.
Kevin_Levin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that 5D's is the company's final Yu Gi oh! series?
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The lawsuit isn't going to do much even if it is against a declining company. It's the termination of 4Kids' license of Yu-Gi-Oh that's the finishing move. At that, after this fiasco, it's probably going to be incredibly difficult (impossible?) for 4Kids to get their hands on another big title like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

It's interesting Al Kahn decided to retire not long after TV Tokyo opted to audit 4Kids' financial books. It would seem he was indeed fully aware of his guilt and decided to run off with as much money as he still could.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I really hope that FUNimation doesn't get affected by this

TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad can't justify any reason to go after FUNimation, but this is not to say it won't at a later time if it's discovered FUNimation conspired to contract with 4Kids knowingly it would circumvent royalties.

However, I'm not believing this was the case. FUNimation has access to DVD printing, obviously, and the fees-per-transaction could very well be an offset to recoup payments for the service, and not a royalty based on a license. Credit transactions like this happen all the time.

Once the monies went back to 4Kids, it was up to them to pay out what they're supposed to.

Considering the sinking-ship state 4Kids is in right now, a lawsuit at this time would be insignificant. Can't squeeze blood from a stone, and 4Kids has already reported massive losses.

Perhaps the two companies are trying to get the final pennies before liquidation.

I will say one thing, on a personal note: if 4Kids is guilty, then this truly sets a bad precedence on behalf of the company and it's hopeful this rare incident doesn't affect other companies. Just the hint of wrongdoing has the potential to cause panic.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
It's interesting Al Kahn decided to retire not long after TV Tokyo opted to audit 4Kids' financial books. It would seem he was indeed fully aware of his guilt and decided to run off with as much money as he still could.

I thought the same thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Content contracts are always confidential (it's actually stated as such in standard boilerplate language in every content agreement I've ever seen), so it's not the sort of thing Funi would sign and then go blabbing about in detail to various licensors. In this case it would be 4Kids' legal responsibility to report the deal to TV Tokyo/NAS, and that's why they're named as plaintiffs and Funi is not.

However if this ever goes to trial, someone at Funi might be called to testify.

The article has been updated with some new information on other deals named in the suit. The Hollywood Reporter piece also makes passing mention of their Cartoon Network deal as well.

I find it kind of funny that a separate deal between Konami and Upper Deck for the Yu-Gi-Oh cards, the other main half of the franchise, ended in a similar lawsuit. (That one ended in hilarity -- the stories of Upper Deck's cartoon villain-like exploits that came out in the suit are now the stuff of legend.)

Last edited by jsevakis on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
6Hokage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope [Funimation] and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

[edited -t]
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It took them this long to notice this? I guess they are suing because of the principle of this rather than to actually get money. You think they keep a better eye on how their product is being used in other markets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10