• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ninja Time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Never did care for UK Resistance, to be honest. The endless disdain of anything not Sega never did sit well. However, I will admit that I took a perverse joy in watching them squirm when the end of the Dreamcast was announced in January 2001. That was a fun week.

As for MK, there's still plenty of hardcore fans out there at the tournaments. And they'll all almost agree that the series peaked with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade, and won't touch anything that came out afterwords.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
UK Resistance: If they ever said FPS games are in excess, I'd be inclined to agree.

SSF4 Arcade: That first screenshot looks funny to me. His eyebrows make his evil eyes look like they're popping out. As for what you just mentioned, Sadamitsu in this game? I'd actually get it just to see that! I finished the anime last year so it would be worth it if they did that! Very Happy

Quote:
Unfortunately, Nanashi was turned down by a focus group due to the game's lack of shootable things. No, we're not joking. That was the reason.

Wow, I'm not sure how but I feel I've seen this mentality before Rolling Eyes

Shinobi Rumble: Mock academic review lol, nice. People of the future will be curious who this Naruto was in our time and wonder why we "worshipped" him so much Anime hyper
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Resident Evil has gotten so far away from what made RE, RE. They just keep digging the hole a little more.

Capcom, How about wrapping up one story before you create more! Damn. Who am I kidding, I buy everything they sell.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
This new Resident Evil game sounds like a barrel of fun. I hope it lets you play split-screen though, I find co-op is always better if at least one of the people you're playing with is in the room with you.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Resident Evil has gotten so far away from what made RE, RE. They just keep digging the hole a little more.

Yesterday, I was reading about the cadre of companies who where the victim of Activision's self-destructive actions regarding the franchise Guitar Hero and I immediately thought of Resident Evil as finding itself on a similar path from Capcom.

One of these days, these industries will quit milking something just because of a success or two.

Then again, if people wouldn't buy the crap in the first place...

...which brings me to this week's column. Is it me, or does the team behind Mortal Kombat have nothing more to give us than a polished game from yesteryear? In looking at the list of titles, it seems "Reboot Retro" is on the minds of many developers, and it's rather odd. Especially when many of these classics can be easily obtained again.

No matter, I suppose. Most of these probably will never see the Wii anyway.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
What kind of awful human being doesn't like Stryker?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the new Mortal Kombat game. Who cares what the fans say about some of the last few MK games I though they were good and fun to play.

I've always liked Stryker as a character but I guess some people don't.

If a demo for the new RE game comes out soon I might give it a try, I love the RE series, but I'm not a huge fan of team gameplay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I'm looking forward to the new Mortal Kombat game.

I have to admit, the previews look good. Probably one of the best polished games I've seen in a while.

Let us Wii owners know how it plays, since we'll just be envious of you bastards who own other consoles.
Wink
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the ads on here I just keep mine on an older layout when I log in, I don't like being on this site when it's plastered with images of mediocre titles I don't care about or awkward shots of anime girls.

I've never really been interested in the series but that new Mortal Kombat game looks great. It's nice to see a game that isn't getting some reboot/prequel/re-characterization, just something that the fans actually want.

Can't say I'm as excited for the new Resident Evil game. I saw a magazine article that had more on it and once it mentioned characters getting XP and the different classes the game became a pass for me.

All will be forgiven if we get a RE2 remake though Very Happy
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
What kind of awful human being doesn't like Stryker?

lol now I'm kind of curious now to see everything I missed

Quote:

But Mortal Kombat was part of the fighter explosion of the 1990s, and I have no doubt that it was played by the same kids who dug into every version of Street Fighter and Samurai Shodown.

I think there were two classes of fans: those of played MK and those who didn't Very Happy I didn't like the digitized art style but that would've be forgivable if it weren't for the mechanics. Block button, super simple moves (was there anything that involved joystick rotation? I kinda recall it was like all back-forth tapping) with the most simple being the most powerful (uppercut: crouch + high punch), virtually no combos (the same mistake the first Fatal Fury made) if I recall apart from juggling...
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
What's the problem with Stryker? How can a single character within 30 stop somebody from playing a fighting game? Well, it happened to me when I could not defeat Shao Kahn in UMK3, but that was just the difficulity in the game.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
You didn't like Stryker because he had a gun? If anything, having a gun in a fighting game is less of an advantage, since everyone else can shoot freaking energy beams at will.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
As for MK, there's still plenty of hardcore fans out there at the tournaments. And they'll all almost agree that the series peaked with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade, and won't touch anything that came out afterwords.

Really? Because a lot of fighting game fans I know are extremely excited for this revamp. It's even being featured at EVO, and that's never happened with a Mortal Kombat game.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Slightly surprised to see not even a passing mention on the fact that the US Pokemon Global Link website (which is how the "Dream World" of Black & White) has had its opening (which was to be today) delayed due to the earthquake.

From the site:
Quote:
The Pokemon Global Link was scheduled to launch on March 30, 2011. As a result of the earthquake in Japan and the need to conserve energy resources, the launch date has been temporarily delayed. When a new launch date is determined, it will be published here on the Pokemon Global Link. We apologize sincerely for any inconvenience caused by this delay.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Really? Because a lot of fighting game fans I know are extremely excited for this revamp. It's even being featured at EVO, and that's never happened with a Mortal Kombat game.[/quote]

I was talking about the games that were already out. You know, the disappointing 3d ones. The new MK has to come out first before anyone makes any final decisions on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2