• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shiki on DVD, Blu-ray in Spring 2012

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Source <--Funimation took the page down as they probably didn't mean to post it so early.

New Source link here to confirm its not a rumor. /end edit.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we get an official News statement for this, please?

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah!!! Funi has finally stepped up to the physical media release plate with a noitaminA title and Shiki is an awesome place to start. So jazzed about this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. Definite buy for me (and by then I might have switched to BD, who knows). Crossing fingers for Tatami Galaxy now.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So jazzed about this.

Here here!

Hopefully we'll see more good news on other shows getting releases. 2011 has been really good and now 2012 is looking pretty awesome too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This is great news in itself and I'm really trying to be optimistic about it but I can't help but notice Funimation has now moved from scheduling the stuff they streamed Winter 2010 directly into scheduling a show from Summer 2010. The fact that they seemed to have skipped right over Spring 2010 sure doesn't bode well for Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy. Of course, for now it's just one show. Maybe they just really want to put a rush on Shiki. Still, if we next start to hearing about their other summer shows on DVD I may have to start panicking.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Time to wait a year to get a job/continue to leech off parent's money for my desires. This is great news.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
@ ikillchicken - yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath for either Five Leaves and especially Tatami Galaxy. A while back Funi had an online survey inviting respondents to identify which of the noitaminA titles (among others) they'd be interested in seeing get a DVD/BD release. It wouldn't surprise me if Shiki was the most popular selection. I think Princess Jellyfish has a shot and possibly Fractale. But hey, whadda I know? I must just a guy on the Internet.

Your best bet for Five Leaves / Tatami might be if there is a Japanese BD release that includes English subtitles. That seems to be happening a bit more these days. I recently imported the Time of Eve BD because it had English subtitles and I'm not sure it will ever get an R1 release. By the way, if you haven't already checked out Time of Eve (or Eve no Jikan if you go by the Japanese title), I highly recommend it to you. It's on Crunchyroll. You are an incredibly fussy anime viewer, but I think even you would dig it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
Blood: Yeah, I know the survey you mention. (I participated in it about a dozen times). I'm realistic about those shows chances. It's really too bad though. Tatami and Five Leaves are the two that I'm pretty much unwilling to watch via their lame youtube streams and yet also the two that are probably never going to get a physical release. Where as Fractale and Jellyfish I could at least live with seeing like that.

That's where Shiki is at least good news though since both a show I'm quite interested in and it's also the one that they don't even have up on youtube.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice. I'll keep an eye out for news about a Japanese BD. Realistically though, I really can't justify spending the kind of dollars you usually pay for imports regardless of the show.

(And by the way, yeah, I've seen Time of Eve and I'm in complete agreement. It's a great show).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
I suspect the decision to release Shiki was influenced in part by the current vampire craze. It's the only show among Funi's Noitamina streams that I thought had any chance of a DVD release. It didn't take long for Funi to release Dance in the Vampire Bund either.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Link is coming up 404 for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Heh, me too.

It was just a splash page showing Natsuno and some text saying Shiki DVD and BluRay coming in Spring 2012. Obviously FUNi didn't want to release that info yet, so they took the site down until they announce it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Darnit, guess I should've taken a screenshot earlier but yes it really was there!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Link is coming up 404 for me.

Oh darn it. I would have screenshot it if I had known they were going to take it down.

Here is another link Source.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
YES! Great news. In fact this is the first anime release in awhile I am excited for. Smile
Macron One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Looking forward to the DVD release, though i'm not that confident they'll actually get it out it on time, considering many of Funi's licenses seem to take forever to get released.

Blood- wrote:
Your best bet for Five Leaves / Tatami might be if there is a Japanese BD release that includes English subtitles. That seems to be happening a bit more these days.

Aren't both of those titles licensed by an Australian (Region 4) distributor? I seem to recall hearing Siren Visual has them (also Kaiba IIRC).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5