• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Card Captor Sakura

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Huh, didn't know the new omnibuses were being re-translated too, oh well, I've already got all 10 of the TP releases, I even got the first six in those three pack boxes and the special bookmarks in them.

Anyway, I love this series to death (and even the anime, got the movies but none of the tv series since it's so expensive) and it's one of my pick-me-up series when I get depressed, it's just so cute it's hard to stay sad reading it.

Also, gotta ask, am I the only one around her with that book of the Clow Cards? Very Happy
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The Cardcaptor Sakura was THE anime of my childhood. I used to wake up early just to watch it haha. When I found out Darkhorse was publishing the series I jumped from joy, I only had one volume of the Tokyopop version and I couldn't stand it and eventually even ended up giving it to my sister (mainly because there was a typo and a spelling mistake and those kind of things in manga really piss off for some reason).
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I love the series a lot- I have the french edition (back then, Chapters didn't have an english comics section, and the one closest to me had a large french comics section, so I got those), which had the bookmarks and pretty french flap covers.... CLAMP's artwork just draws you right in. Their writing also made a lot of stuff that would otherwise be trite fanfiction fuel into an extremely heartfelt, delicate read that portayed emotions and friendships well. Glad Dark Horse has brought it back into print.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I can't help but think that this should have been posted tomorrow on April 1st, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

Cardcaptor Sakura will probably always be one of my favorite manga, in no small part due to the fact that it's pretty much purity and love in book form. I think it was actually the second manga I ever read, after learning that there was more to the series than the hilarity that was Cardcaptors. Since I gave my old Tokyopop edition to my kid sister for her birthday, I'm now on a quest to collect the Dark Horse omnibus editions. Now if only the remastered Bluray boxsets of the anime would either come down in price or be put out stateside...

I think more people need to read and appreciate this series, it truly is a classic.

EDIT: Actually, it already is April 1st in Japan. Good job, ANN Staff! Smile
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Also, gotta ask, am I the only one around here with that book of the Clow Cards? Very Happy

*rasies hand very slowly, feeling modest*

Back in 5th grade and was probably my first merchandise from a non-popular anime franchise I ever owned. I've never read the manga before, but I did grow up watching it on TV. And say what you will about the Nelvana version, but as a guy, it still felt girly to me and yet it was my guilty pleasure. That And I might've thought Sakura was cute when I was 10-11 years-old watching it.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I always thought of CCS as the perfect magical girl series. Proper mix of wide-eyed wonder, love and magical action. Even though something like Sailor Moon might have more dramatic weight to it and a detailed story, watching Sakura and Toya's interactions at breakfast time just give me the warm and fuzzy's all over. It probably is THE best romantic best magical girl series done so far, and that is saying something.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I love the series a lot- I have the french edition (back then, Chapters didn't have an english comics section, and the one closest to me had a large french comics section, so I got those), which had the bookmarks and pretty french flap covers....

I started buying the French version of Cardcaptor Sakura, which started around a year before Mixx brought it out in English. When they became available, I bought the first 2 volumes of the old English-language version, but then continued buying the French version anyway, even though I'm an Anglophone, simply because the quality of the presentation was so much superior to the English version.

Last week, I bought the first Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus and am sufficiently satisfied with it to buy the other three. I probably wouldn't buy it again though if the old French version had had unflipped artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I had the original Mixx versions, but gave those to my friend when the TP reissue came out with a better translation, unflipped art, and better binding.

This is still one of my favorite manga, and I own dozens of series.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Also, gotta ask, am I the only one around her with that book of the Clow Cards? Very Happy

Nope. Picked mine up on sale years ago at a KB Toys and let the aforementioned friend use them when she wants to cosplay.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this as an article. This is one of my most favorite titles.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Huh, didn't know the new omnibuses were being re-translated too

Like Clover and perhaps Chobits (and any other CLAMP title released or to be released by Dark Horse), I believe that the original translations were referenced and then edited for the final product.

Quote:
I even got the first six in those three pack boxes and the special bookmarks in them.

I have and love those. And even for the TV series, I own the original singles and the two box sets from its last release. Only my budget prevented me from importing the BDs Razz

Quote:

Oh, how I wish I had that CLAMP Tarot set...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering for a while how much CCS contributed to the moe phenomenon. IIRC, it's supposed to have spawned a huge adult male fandom in Japan. But that's not the main thing I want to post about.

This series has possibly the best reputation of any magical girl manga ever. People still rave about it today. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who dislikes it.

So why do I?

Why is it that getting through all of the first three volumes felt to me like such a slog? Why is it that I can barely stand the art, characters, ideas, or plot? What are other people seeing that I'm not? And why aren't I seeing it? What's that say about my taste? How much of this is due to intrinsic traits of the manga, and how much of it is me? Where's the line between "cute" and "cutesy," or between "sweet" and "saccharine"?

I mean, my tastes are fairly eclectic. In manga, they include 20th Century Boys, Yotsuba&!, Emma, Maison Ikkoku, Apollo's Song, and LIFE. In anime, they include Princess Tutu, Kino's Journey, Ouran High School Host Club, CLANNAD, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Asatte no Houkou, Figure 17, Kurenai, Escaflowne, Oban Star-Racers, Lovely Complex, and maybe even Kimi ni Todoke. So why isn't either version of Cardcaptor Sakura in there?

Thompson said, "This is a beautifully drawn series that gets into your heart." That's a false statement. No, it doesn't. Not mine (and yes, I know it's the generic "you"). That statement is about what people think about the manga, not about the manga itself. It may be true for the vast majority of its readers, but not this one, and I don't get why.

Ma nishtana hakoreh hazeh mikol hakor'im?

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
You guys have got be witches or something, cause this is like the third time I've just started watching some old title to see it pop up on ANN. Earlier this week I started watching the Sakura anime for the first time ever (somehow I avoided seeing any anime for the first 19 years of my life), and I have been quite pleasantly surprised by it. I'm only four episodes in, but I can understand why everyone loves it so much, it's a real quality show. I was unaware that Darkhouse was publishing manga omnibuses for it, but now it looks like I have something else to get on my next trip to Amazon. I needed some new reading material for baseball season anyway.

/There's nothing better in life than sitting on a sofa with some manga and a baseball game on the telly
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
What a beautiful manga, so genuine and heartfelt! Ahhh, I hope the anime gets relicensed someday... (With a proper dub this time, please!) I am loving Dark Horse's re-released omnibuses, simply gorgeous!
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Great article! Card Captor Sakura is definitely one of CLAMP's best. I myself actually have the bilingual version of the first six volumes.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful stuff this week; you perfectly captured what makes this comic so charming. I missed out on the anime when it was in print, so I find myself buying the Dark Horse release completely without shame. It's probably the first manga I'd think to give to a little girl.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to check out the Dark Horse releases. I've got a part Mixx, part TP set. The TP ones are fine, but the Mixx ones are more for nostalgia than anything. I'd love a better translation; CCS is one of my favorites!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4