• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite anime genre and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite anime genre?
action
10%
 10%  [ 27 ]
adventure
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
comedy
10%
 10%  [ 26 ]
drama
4%
 4%  [ 12 ]
slice of life
14%
 14%  [ 36 ]
fantasy - magic - supernatural
18%
 18%  [ 47 ]
horror
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
mystery
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
psychological
6%
 6%  [ 17 ]
romance
8%
 8%  [ 22 ]
science fiction
15%
 15%  [ 39 ]
thriller
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 250

egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.

Kinda stuck between science fiction and psychological. Both can be just awesome when combined. For now I'll go based on my top 2 - psychological that is.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I really have no f**king idea. When I watch anime, I don't pay too much attention to the genre--I just watch the show for what it is. Confused
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I voted for psychological since I enjoy that genre the most. There are others that I almost enjoy just as much, such as slice-of-life, but I enjoy psychological animes the most.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to go along with "No idea". If I had to I could maybe pick a top 5 in no special order. The show is more important than genre.

In any case, for a lot of shows out there you would have trouble getting people to agree on what genre they belonged in.
richfam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Although I like most genres, the choice was an easy one for me: slice of life. I had never even heard of the slice of life genre before I started building my anime collection, but after watching a couple of slice of life shows it quickly became my favorite anime genre.

There are two reasons for this. First, anime does slice of life so well, with shows like Aria, Diamond Daydreams, Someday's Dreamers, and Whisper of the Heart. It's so easy for me to relax and lose myself within shows like these, and just let them transport me to another world for a time. I think that, for me, the animation format works better for these quiet, slow-paced type of shows than live action productions or novels.

Second, there's a surprisingly good selection of slice of life shows to choose from. This is surprising because, let's face it, many anime fans find slice of life shows to be unspeakably boring and dull. It's definitely a niche genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ehh this question is way to hard to decide on. All anime genres i can love or hate depending on how well the show is done. So im going to have to say comedy becuase even if it isn't favourite, it's the genre i consistently like the most.
Nikaido

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Slice of Life would probably be the genre I enjoy most consistently. I do love a good adventure though.
Listeria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I voted for the action genre because I grew up on Voltes V and Daimos then Voltron came. But since I got back on the anime bandwagon I find myself drawn to fantasy-magic-supernatural, romance, and even slice of life animes.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Romance 0 votes. It's starting to look like a phony survey! Clearly there's plenty of romance lovers around, just look at Kimi ni Todoke, His and Her draggin fans, etc., around here.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
From my viewing experience, there aren't a lot of great Romances. And the ones that are above the others usually fall more in the category of Drama than Romance. Even though the two are almost always together, drama does seem to dominate in shows like Kanon, 5 cm/s, etc...

Looking at the top Romances that don't have Drama, from my eyes, only a handful of those 8.0+ have Romance as the main theme. Romance just seems to be unable to stand up by itself without the help of genres to prop it up, hence why we don't get great Romances, we get great Drama/Romances like Kare Kano or great RomComs like School Rumble. There just isn't a lot of pure Romance, let alone great pure Romance.

EDIT: I read egoist's post before he deleted, and I don't think I got my point across:

There are no great Romances because all the great Romances are actually great Dramas. Since Romance tends to heavily lean on Drama, the drama tends to be the one that shines brightest, making Romance the secondary theme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arielifeoma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy sports anime the most even though I am not very athletic. I don't consider it "action" because that means something different to me (the suspense while listening to hajime no ippo boxing tactics or how to get a touchdown in Eyeshield 21 feels different than that of the major brawling matches in One Piece to me.) So, because this special category isn't listed, I picked romance because I'm ultimately a fangirl at heart.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
Sports anime is ultimately drama anyway, thus the sport comes off as more of a theme, much like moe. At least from the hundred-something episodes I've seen of Eyeshield 21 it's filled with drama. Not that it's bad.
And One Piece is adventure above anything else.

Quote:
EDIT: I read egoist's post before he deleted, and I don't think I got my point across:

Are you sum ninja? No I don't remember what I said... do you? I think I deleted like 25 replies last night. I don't really wanna remember any of them LOL!
chachaboru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
mystery and adventure....
but i like animes that has a lot of genres....
it makes the anime unique...
Reiizm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Slice of Life has always been my favorite.
I also enjoy Mystery, Psychological, Fantasy, Horror, Adventure and a bit of Sci-Fi.
But honestly, and I think this applies to all Anime Viewers, I'll watch anything if it's just that good.
Witching Hour Anime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
I usually prefer anything that falls within the Horror genre. Pet Shop of Horror is one of my favorite anime's. In fact I am a fanatic when it comes to anything horror related. However the Psychological genre does come in close second for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5