• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any chance the USA tab could be renamed North America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

asimpson2006 wrote:
I mean even though some parts of Canada are "America Lite", they still are part of NA so I think it does make a bit more sense to include them in the tab and not just something shoved in a corner.

Fair enough. Canadian are a lot like Americans...we just tend to be somewhat lighter. Wink

That was actually more of a joke that someone I used to work with said once about Canada. I have no problem with Canada at all, though I did have a problem with a Canadian girl who I went to school with who wouldn't go on a date with me, but that is in the past.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nephtis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Couldn't we simplify things by getting rid of the Aussie and UK sites and replacing them with a Commonwealth site where our Canadian brethren would be welcome to join us? We could insist on proper English spellings on our refined Commonwealth forum and maybe set the site up to automatically play God Save the Queen at 1:00am (GMT) every night, just like BBC Radio 4. Doesn't that sound cosy?
Last I checked, Aussies don't care much about being in the Commonwealth.

Yay proper spelling! madmangohan's right though, we don't. Well maybe more accuately I don't - the last referendum (1999) was a let down. No state's majority voted 'yes' for the change and the majority of the population generally followed suit. Ironically the ACT (where our federal parliament is based) did vote yes.

I disgress, I mostly wanted to point out that Moomintroll's post made me laugh.
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I have no problem with Canada at all

Nah, I know. I'm just teasing ya.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Nephtis wrote:
madmangohan wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Couldn't we simplify things by getting rid of the Aussie and UK sites and replacing them with a Commonwealth site where our Canadian brethren would be welcome to join us? We could insist on proper English spellings on our refined Commonwealth forum and maybe set the site up to automatically play God Save the Queen at 1:00am (GMT) every night, just like BBC Radio 4. Doesn't that sound cosy?
Last I checked, Aussies don't care much about being in the Commonwealth.

Yay proper spelling! madmangohan's right though, we don't. Well maybe more accuately I don't - the last referendum (1999) was a let down. No state's majority voted 'yes' for the change and the majority of the population generally followed suit. Ironically the ACT (where our federal parliament is based) did vote yes.

I disgress, I mostly wanted to point out that Moomintroll's post made me laugh.
Laughing

Look, nobody really cares about being in the Commonwealth - including the British - it's just nice to have a respectable members club for the English speaking peoples of the world to hang out in that has a big sign on the door reading "Smart dress only, no dogs except guide dogs for the blind, Americans prohibited".

And, hey, most of the member nations don't even have the Queen as head of state. If it's the playing God Save the Queen at 1:00am every night thing that's worrying you, I have absolutely no problem with replacing it with Waltzing Matilda every third day or so. One must move with the times after all...
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
it's just nice to have a respectable members club for the English speaking peoples of the world to hang out in that has a big sign on the door reading "Smart dress only, no dogs except guide dogs for the blind, Americans prohibited".
I'm sure if it was up to Australia it would be more like "We are only here to kick your asses at the Commonwealth Games again"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Pffft, Oz can have the Commonwealth Games. Canada won the most gold medals of any country ever at the last Winter Olympics - the only sporting event that truly matters.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Pffft, Oz can have the Commonwealth Games. Canada won the most gold medals of any country ever at the last Winter Olympics - the only sporting event that truly matters.
Blatant lies. Summer Olympics ftw.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Blatant lies. Summer Olympics ftw.

Indeed. And in 2008 Britain came 4th in the medals table, Australia 6th and Canada...19th.

madmangohan wrote:
I'm sure if it was up to Australia it would be more like "We are only here to kick your asses at the Commonwealth Games again"

Ah, yes, but in the Commonwealth Games, Britain splits up into its constituent parts in order to give everybody else a fighting chance.
Add the 2010 medals for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man together and you get 199 to Australia's 177. I grant you, even looked at that way, Australia still wins on gold medals but it's hardly an arse kicking.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sure, if you are going to include Medal Powerhouse Isle of Man...
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Ah, yes, but in the Commonwealth Games, Britain splits up into its constituent parts in order to give everybody else a fighting chance.
Add the 2010 medals for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man together and you get 199 to Australia's 177. I grant you, even looked at that way, Australia still wins on gold medals but it's hardly an arse kicking.
And by that theory, we could just add New Zealand and go back to the arse kicking line.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, sure, if you are going to include Medal Powerhouse Isle of Man...

Well of course - how could they not be a medal powerhouse with the built-in advantage of a third leg?

Fear the Manx, my friend, fear the Manx...

madmangohan wrote:
And by that theory, we could just add New Zealand and go back to the arse kicking line.

Hah! Good luck finding a Kiwi who'll tell you his country is a constituent part of some sort of Greater Australia.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
And, hey, most of the member nations don't even have the Queen as head of state. If it's the playing God Save the Queen at 1:00am every night thing that's worrying you, I have absolutely no problem with replacing it with Waltzing Matilda every third day or so. One must move with the times after all...

Please...please do not do that. *shudders*

That's right, that's how Australian I am.

Let's have some British comedy licensed instead? Man this has gone off-topic...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Smart dress only, no dogs except guide dogs for the blind, Americans prohibited".

Ya'll are simply jealous. Cupidity; 'tis an ugly vice. Very Happy

There is a way to fix this--Give up the metric system and annex yourselves. If the bordering 7 provinces join up with us, we'll have the promised 57 states of America Wink

The quote helps answer the original question--the USA won't stand for the tab to be changed to North America as we don't want to be lumped in with all ya'll quasi-Brits. [/Facetious]

Also, Jingoism. The Internet does revolve around America, admit it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
@Echo_City:

I don't know whether to be either amused or appalled by your posting! Shocked Exclamation Confused Question
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Amusement is the intent. This struck me as the ubiquitous Internet thread of "America Bashing", so as an American I weighed in.

I assumed that all the pro-Commonwealth posts were facetious, and mine were made in kind. If those posts weren't, well then I'm miffed & stand by my assertion that everyone else just wants to be US Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2