• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Steins;Gate TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its not a torrent, its a stream.

Not if I'm running Crunchyroll through a torrent program... well, no idea where I called a stream a torrent, I just said that MB/s is better known as the unit used in actual downloads, downloads that are better known as torrents around here. And regardless of which unit you use, it comes down to the same amount. And there's an incomparable different between 1 MBytes/s and 1mbits/s.
I know that CR has a fairly decent buffering cache. At least decent enough to overcome minor issues on international delays.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Megabits are commonly used when talking about bandwidth, but when talking about an amount of data is it always megabytes. A megabit is an eighth of a megabyte (so if your connection speed is 1 megabit per second you can only actually download at no more than 125 kilobytes per second - actually lower than this in practice due to overheads etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Megabits are commonly used when talking about bandwidth, but when talking about an amount of data is it always megabytes. A megabit is an eighth of a megabyte (so if your connection speed is 1 megabit per second you can only actually download at no more than 128 kilobytes per second - actually lower than this in practice due to overheads etc.)

1MB =1024 kB.
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I have been interested in seeing this. It does suck to be outside the viewing area though. I am very surprised at the Spring lineup. After Winter being thin, it is nice to have a variety.

On the other subject, others are having viewing problems with Crunchyroll at prime time? I am in the US, state of TX. During the day, Crunchyroll runs like a charm. Evenings blows. I thought it might be cable service bottle-necking or Charter throttling. Either way, I have not been able to find bandwidth problems on my end. Are others having the same issue? If so, I will jump on them and try to get them to do something about it.
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised and excited by this announcement. Ever since the trailer was released late last year I have been looking forward to this series because the artwork looks quite nice and a sci fi/ possible secret group show always catches my attention. I was starting to think I wasn't going to be able to see it since there has really not been much talk about it lately, so I'm happy about it. On the other topic I never have any trouble with vids at CR, except for the occasional one that will load screwy and I get a static sound going on so I have to re-load, but on a buffer side I haven't had much trouble. To those who have had a prob have you run a trace route on the page to see where the problem lies?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The curious part is the three titles which were later added to that list though: Dog Days, A Channel and AnoHana. None of them have been picked up by anyone. Also, Dog Days has started airing already which makes me think nobody is ever going to get it.

They are all listed under Crunchyroll's Aniplex publisher page. It's possible Aniplex may be simulcasting them elsewhere or not at all (like Madoka Magica last season...), though. Do hope they get simulcast somewhere though as I'm interested in them, A Channel and AnoHana more than Dog Days.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I just hope South America includes Puerto Rico in the Caribbean. Confused
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Check if you can watch the preview at http://www.crunchyroll.com/steinsgate
If you don't get "Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." then you should be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Megabits are commonly used when talking about bandwidth, but when talking about an amount of data is it always megabytes. A megabit is an eighth of a megabyte (so if your connection speed is 1 megabit per second you can only actually download at no more than 128 kilobytes per second - actually lower than this in practice due to overheads etc.)

1MB =1024 kB.
And 1Mb = (1/8)MB.

Lessee ... 1 Mb = 1024 kb = (1024/8)kB = 128kB ~ ah, yes, what Shiroo Hane said.

8 bits in a modern byte (in the old days, a byte was whatever was the address unit of the mainframe or minicomputer in question, but in the 70's and 80's it settled down on the byte of the most common personal computers).

The great advantage of CDN's is they can use their backbones to get a big chunk of data much closer to the end user in terms of hops, and they are supposed to have capacity to cope with bursty demands on individual clients, because they are catering to requests on behalf of a large number of clients.

But it does mean two business organizations responsible for the QOS to the end user.

marcos torres toledo wrote:
I just hope South America includes Puerto Rico in the Caribbean. Confused
Puerto Rico is Region 1, you should be good for everything on Crunchyroll. The list I see on Amazon gives R1 as
Quote:
American Samoa, Canada, Guam, Palau, Mariana Islands, Marshall Islands, Puerto Rico, Micronesia, United States, U.S. Virgin Islands
If you are blocked from anything at Crunchy, I'd suggest dropping a note in their help forums. There's a user from one of the ABC islands who is supposed to get all the Netherlands licensed series (which is everything so far this season) and for two or three seasons in a row was forced to make a help forum request since they kept forgetting to do whatever you have to do for the ABC islands in their region access databases.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
And 1Mb = (1/8)MB.

Lessee ... 1 Mb = 1024 kb = (1024/8)kB = 128kB ~ ah, yes, what Shiroo Hane said.

What I said.
You missed the reason for the bold.
Shiroi Hane wrote:
A megabit is an eighth of a megabyte (so if your connection speed is 1 megabit per second you can only actually download at no more than 125 kilobytes per second - actually lower than this in practice due to overheads etc.)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yes, I converted from bits to bytes but forgot a step when converting in my head from M to K. Last time I did this sort of conversion was on-the-fly during phone complaints about broadband speed where a quick ballpark was more important than accuracy, especially since you need to estimate down anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2