• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Culture Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Erin's glowing endorsement of Genshiken made me extremely happy. Like Azumanga Daioh, the relaxed character-driven comedy sucks you in like a black hole, and before you know it the cast is like your own family. I still laugh to myself about stuff that happened in Genshiken as if it happened to me personally.

Apparently I need to read the manga, immediately.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Clannad, Xenosaga and a collection of some of the most awesome RPGs of the PS1 era. Very nice!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You can recommend (Ghibli films) to anyone – in fact, they are more than recommended, they are required viewing for all anime fans.

When last the matter was brought to my attention, one reached the conclusion that statements such as this are too strong to be warranted by their normative force alone.

If we should come across a person who is not motivated to experience Ghibli films, but who nonetheless takes a noticeable interest in numerous works of Japanese animation aside from these, it seems unintuitive to suggest that this person fails one of the requirements of being an anime fan. (The fact this person is a fan of anime is alone sufficient for her to claim this modest title, I say.)

Certainly, one may claim that this person is disinclined to bear witness to works whose aesthetic quality she is well-suited to acknowledge and appreciate, and that her interests perhaps merit watching these films, but this is not to say she has somehow failed to meet her requirements of being an anime fan by avoiding them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap...that is one nice shelf, Travis. Neatly arranged too. Not to mention...I'd kill to snag some of the stuff you've got.

Maybe we can start with that mint condition copy of Valkyrie Profile for the PS1. >:3
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is one of my favorites! Actually, I use it to rate people's otakuness. It seems like the hardcores like it a lot while the people who I think won't stay in this hobby would probably either hate it or get bored with it and not watch past the first episode. I agree with the whole "looking in the mirror and laughing" analogy of the review and this plays into the whole "I'm comfortable with myself for being an otaku and I don't care what anyone else thinks about me" type of attitude that is in the otaku of today. Althought I also agree with the comment that some hilarious parts were left out in the anime that was in the manga. One VERY important item was the visit to Madarame's apartment spoiler[and the hidden pics of Saki.] This is a VERY important part that shouldn't have been skipped. But... HOPEFULLY... they'll make a "Perfect Grade" version of it and add the missing scenes...
jsieczka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Did Disney do the restoration and conversion onto Blu-Ray or was it done by Studio Ghibli? Say what you want about Disney but their Blu-Ray releases are the best looking ones out there, there restoration of 1937's Snow White is unbelievable.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Did Disney do the restoration and conversion onto Blu-Ray or was it done by Studio Ghibli? Say what you want about Disney but their Blu-Ray releases are the best looking ones out there, there restoration of 1937's Snow White is unbelievable.

I know Disney did the conversion, I don't know if they did the restoration.

From Blu-ray.com Review of Nausicaa

Quote:
Disney's exceedingly respectful 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer is almost as striking as the film's soaring visuals. Colors aren't as vibrant as some might expect, but there's a solemn strength, a sand-swept beauty and an organic restraint to Miyazaki's dusty watercolor palette that, in many ways, is far more evocative and arresting than the alternative. Detail is just as admirable. Every fluid stroke of the animators' lineart has been perfectly preserved, their ink-work is deeper and cleaner than it's ever been, and their hand-drawn backgrounds and airships are a stunning sight to behold. Moreover, the film's fine grain structure is intact and, despite its prominence, both consistent and attractive, lending each scene a filmic quality that only showcases the transfer's cinematic integrity. Yes, a number of soft shots pepper the proceedings, slight telecine wobbling is apparent, and negligible cel nicks and specks, as well as some minor print imperfections, appear throughout. However, each and every quote-unquote issue traces back to the original source and very few instances, if any, detract from the overall impact or authenticity of the presentation. The studio's encode warrants even higher praise. There isn't any significant artifacting, banding, ringing, compression anomalies, aliasing or, really, anything at all that might distract seasoned videophiles from Miyazaki's remarkable imagery.

To be clear: Nausicaä doesn't look as if it rolled out of an animation studio yesterday, a fact that will probably elicit apathy from viewers hoping for a water-into-wine redux. But as twenty-seven-year old anime classics go, Disney's reverent high definition transfer makes it that much easier to sink into Miyazaki's dazzling vision and float away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
I question the 'nerdiness' of your friends if they do not have (or cannot instantly get) the necessary codecs.

Maybe they're too busy running LARPs?

ss-hikaru wrote:
Yeah, same for me! I absolutely love Princess Mononoke, surprised it wasn't in Erin's top 5. Any particular reason why? I think for me, Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are my favourites because they both have quite a bit in common.

I was going to reply, but pachy_boy says it better than I could below:

pachy_boy wrote:
Good ole' Nausicaa, the Miyazaki movie I consider to be the therapeutic antithesis to Princess Mononoke. Both movies have the same general story--a princess tries to save a natural world from plundering invaders, but both stories having completely different outcomes. As much of a "masterpiece" as people make out Mononoke to be, I'll always prefer the first original classic.

Interestingly, on the new extra, Miyazaki talks about Nausicaa's happy, cathartic ending, and says that after Nausicaa he wanted to get away from such cathartic endings.

I think as a film Nausicaa takes more risks in what it is trying to achieve. The plot over-reaches and tries to tell too much. Mononoke, done later in Miyazaki's career, handles exactly what it is trying to accomplish without being overly ambitious, but as such, I feel like the universe of Mononoke is self-contained (and therefore smaller). With Nausicaa, there is more to tell. You get more out of the story from the manga. The world is vaster, if that makes sense...

Also the lead female characters are somewhat opposites. I like the feral princess in Mononoke, but she's hot headed and overly emotional. Nausicaa is the opposite; intelligent and restrained, more forgiving.

Because Nauicaa takes place in the far future, it has a much more hopeful feel. Below the Sea of Corruption the earth is being purified once again. Mononoke seems to take place in the past, where technological development is inevitable. Because there is more hope (humans can survive in a shitty future) and less cynicism (humans have been this f--ed up since ancient times) I end up re-watching Nausicaa more often.

Plus, even though the soundtrack's electronic parts are dated I like Nausicaa's more and listen to it more often than the Mononoke soundtrack.

Jrittmayer wrote:
Honorable mention to Panda Go Panda! which was probably the funniest miyazaki film I've ever seen (The UK dub).

Apparently Takahata directed Panda? But I do also love that movie. The flood scene with the train in Panda Go Panda gets revisited in Spirited Away and Ponyo...

Zin5ki wrote:
If we should come across a person who is not motivated to experience Ghibli films, but who nonetheless takes a noticeable interest in numerous works of Japanese animation aside from these, it seems unintuitive to suggest that this person fails one of the requirements of being an anime fan. (The fact this person is a fan of anime is alone sufficient for her to claim this modest title, I say.)

The diversity of anime fans and their broad spectrum of interests is something Daryl Surat has talked about a lot. There is little solidarity in anime fans as a group, because the topics and styles and genres covered by anime are so vast. No two fans are likely to have seen the same set of titles. Surely Miyazaki's body of work represents a constant base. If there is one canon that we ought to all be familiar with, at least in passing, it is his. Even if you hate Miyazaki's films after seeing only one of them, this could form the base of a conversation.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is one of the few shows that I actively choose the Japanese audio. It's a little bit exaggerated, which really gives the comedy a boost, but not so much that it feels cartoony at all. The English...that just sounds way too real. Disturbingly real. I try to avoid that kind of stuff in real life, as it makes me terribly uncomfortable - I certainly don't want it in my entertainment!

As for Nausicaa, I really liked what I saw of it! I caught it one of those times Turner Classic Movies was doing a Miyazaki week or something. I think I got most of it between the sub and the dub they showed. But I don't really feel the need to see it all at one, or any of Miyazaki's movies for that matter (and I really, absolutely loved the ending of Porco Rosso). I just don't like movies, in general, as a format. TV series are more my speed.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nausicaä represents the highest possible technical achievement in cel animation, and it was made in 1984! All of the flying war machines and giant pillbug-like Ohmu move as background elements, without the aid of CG. Perhaps Nausicaä and Akira (1988) are the very highest high points of Japanese animation, created at the height of Japan's economic bubble. Maybe it is appropriate that both stories have apocalyptic visions; the bubble was about to burst.

Ah... whaaa? Nausicaa is the highest possible technical achievement in cel animation? Umm... how much high budget animation have you watched? I'm all for celebrating how awesome Nausicaa is, but it still doesn't beat the fact that Nausicaa was a low budgeted movie with frame rate limits compared to just about everything Disney did before Beauty and the Beast (where they first started using CGI - and it was only for the ballroom scene). Akira - yeah, I can agree Akira was pretty much the top of the tier in technical achievement with Japan's cel animation, but to completely disregard each and every other animation studio in the world? I'm sorry, but Nausicaa's animation looks aged, and like crap compared to most every other cel animated feature since, especially other Ghilbi films. Outside of Nausicaa's glider, the Ohmu and giant air ships never really ever changed their angles. Disney easily has Nasuicaa beat in technical achievement with 101 Dalmations alone - 1961 with car chases and more - all without cgi.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:
Yeah, same for me! I absolutely love Princess Mononoke, surprised it wasn't in Erin's top 5. Any particular reason why? I think for me, Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are my favourites because they both have quite a bit in common.

I was going to reply, but pachy_boy says it better than I could below:

pachy_boy wrote:
Good ole' Nausicaa, the Miyazaki movie I consider to be the therapeutic antithesis to Princess Mononoke. Both movies have the same general story--a princess tries to save a natural world from plundering invaders, but both stories having completely different outcomes. As much of a "masterpiece" as people make out Mononoke to be, I'll always prefer the first original classic.

Interestingly, on the new extra, Miyazaki talks about Nausicaa's happy, cathartic ending, and says that after Nausicaa he wanted to get away from such cathartic endings.

Ah I see! This is probably the reason why I favour Princess Mononoke over Nausicaa then. I do want to read the Nausicaa manga though. Especially after these comments:

FaytLein wrote:
For someone who advocated peaceful coexistance with nature, what she did in Volume 7 just rubbed me the wrong way.

vashfanatic wrote:
if I want more moral complexity I'll read the manga that grew out of it.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Quote:
Nausicaä represents the highest possible technical achievement in cel animation, and it was made in 1984! All of the flying war machines and giant pillbug-like Ohmu move as background elements, without the aid of CG. Perhaps Nausicaä and Akira (1988) are the very highest high points of Japanese animation, created at the height of Japan's economic bubble. Maybe it is appropriate that both stories have apocalyptic visions; the bubble was about to burst.

Ah... whaaa? Nausicaa is the highest possible technical achievement in cel animation? Umm... how much high budget animation have you watched? I'm all for celebrating how awesome Nausicaa is, but it still doesn't beat the fact that Nausicaa was a low budgeted movie with frame rate limits compared to just about everything Disney did before Beauty and the Beast (where they first started using CGI - and it was only for the ballroom scene). Akira - yeah, I can agree Akira was pretty much the top of the tier in technical achievement with Japan's cel animation, but to completely disregard each and every other animation studio in the world? I'm sorry, but Nausicaa's animation looks aged, and like crap compared to most every other cel animated feature since, especially other Ghilbi films. Outside of Nausicaa's glider, the Ohmu and giant air ships never really ever changed their angles. Disney easily has Nasuicaa beat in technical achievement with 101 Dalmations alone - 1961 with car chases and more - all without cgi.

I would also throw in Watership Down and Plague dogs as well.

I'm not a huge Ghilbi fan. I like most of their movies save for Pom Poko (worst of the Ghibli movies imo). My favorites would be Laputa, Mononoke, Nausicaa and Totoro.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll give the guy credit for having GoldenEye 007 in his 64, that's for sure. A few of those figures I'd like as well. Lol.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Disney easily has Nasuicaa beat in technical achievement with 101 Dalmations alone - 1961 with car chases and more - all without cgi.

I love Nausicaa, but I am going to agree with you: 101 Dalmations (complete with character designs by the marvelous Bill Pete) is still the pinnacle of "how did they manage to do something that awesome without any computers?" in animation.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ah... whaaa? Nausicaa is the highest possible technical achievement in cel animation? Umm... how much high budget animation have you watched?

Assuming high budget animation equates to feature films, the animated features I haven't seen probably make a shorter list than the ones I have.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm all for celebrating how awesome Nausicaa is, but it still doesn't beat the fact that Nausicaa was a low budgeted movie with frame rate limits compared to just about everything Disney did before Beauty and the Beast (where they first started using CGI - and it was only for the ballroom scene).

I'm aware that all Japanese animation budgets are lower than those in the West... in fact, on the regular DVD release Miyazaki mentions that up through Kiki's Delivery Service the artists were still being paid per cell, so everyone who worked on Kiki's lost money because each cell took twice as long as a regular cell in order to meet Ghibli's high quality standards.

Nausicaa's frame rate looked comparable to any Disney feature to me. It's interesting that Nausicaa (1984) came out in the middle of some slow years for Disney. The Fox and the Hound (1981), The Black Cauldron (1985), and The Great Mouse Detective (1986) are not considered Disney's most memorable works.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm sorry, but Nausicaa's animation looks aged, and like crap compared to most every other cel animated feature since, especially other Ghilbi films. Outside of Nausicaa's glider, the Ohmu and giant air ships never really ever changed their angles. Disney easily has Nasuicaa beat in technical achievement with 101 Dalmations alone - 1961 with car chases and more - all without cgi.

Nausicaa's air ships never their angles because they're not in CG. They're background elements, like I mentioned. Ghibli doesn't use any CG until Mononoke, as far as I can tell.

When you say words like "aged" and "crap" it's not very specific. I'd like to see some side-by-side screencaps. Everyone has their own definition of crap. I really love animated background elements that don't use CG. But maybe you don't.

It's been about 20 years since I've seen 101 Dalmations, but I might watch it again since you've brought it up here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4