• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Parts Foreign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
There was a time when I would have jumped on that Kenshin game immediately, but with so many games coming out this year that I want to get, I think I'd end up passing on this one, even if it did get a US release.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first heard MegaMan Legends 3 hadn't been officially given the green-light, despite half a year of community participation, design contests, voting, events and activities in anticipation of its 3DS release.

The Capcom-Unity crowd was excited, myself included, but hearing the game hadn't even been OK'ed by higher-ups yet killed that buzz fast. At the end of the day it's still a business, I guess.

Still, I hope it gets the go-ahead! MML rocks, and deserves some closure! Very Happy

I wonder if Keiji Inafune left knowing Capcom intended to put Megaman Universe on the chopping block (or because of that). Thinking back, it was rather sudden. Let's hope he didn't leave knowing MML3 was next in line! Shocked
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Cancellations galore. I'm not sad to see MMU go. It wasn't a good idea to begin with really.

As for our xeno-man, I think Takahashi just likes the word xeno Anime hyper

Seriously I think both Xenoblade and Last Story could do well here, and probably could have done well at the actual release of both games in Japan. People still want both and it's about time those guys at Nintendo got the blasted message.

Is it bad that I'm so underwhelmed by the Kenshin fighter? No offense and all, but that game might have done better when Kenshin was still popular enough to care about.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure The Last Story is assured. Now if we can also nag NOA about Nintendo's new Pandora's Tower...or is they still remember Sandlot's Zangeki no Reginleiv/Reginleiv's Cleave.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
No mention of Bio Force APE, or is emulation a forbidden subject?

And I've always dug Kenshin, even after learning about the influence of early 90's Marvel/Image comics in the series. A friend of mine once suggested that the series might work as a basis for a Koei Musou game. Perhaps.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Nintendo has been annoying me lately with their refusal to release interesting looking Wii games outside of Japan. I guess I can't entirely blame them considering how little "core" games on the console outside of the major franchises sell when anyone bothers to make them, but it would be nice to have something to play on the Wii until Zelda comes out.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Nintendo has been annoying me lately with their refusal to release interesting looking Wii games outside of Japan. I guess I can't entirely blame them considering how little "core" games on the console outside of the major franchises sell when anyone bothers to make them, but it would be nice to have something to play on the Wii until Zelda comes out.
I think there are quite many core games outthere, but they're too buried in the shovelware and negative press, but more of the former, actually. That, and the huge "drought" that happens after major releases. Most of the focus is largely on the 3DS at the moment.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
I think The Last Story would do "Ok" here and I say that because

I was very underwhelmed by the game, there is a lot of hype behind it that I think will crumble once people look at how the Wii handles it and I feel like for a Mistwalker Title, it just doesn't live up, I expected something on par with Lost Odyssey and It reminded me more of the first time I played FF13, and thats not a good thing. Not saying its bad, I would just rather them stick to there guns instead of releasing a dumb down version of monster hunter with gimmicky wii moments
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
whenever it comes to so-called "core" gamers on the Wii, I just stopped taking them seriously. They ask for hardcore games and then when one like Muramasa, No More Heroes, MAdworld, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Monster Hunter, or Sin and Punishment comes out I hear the SAME handful of excuses over and over again: "I might get this when the price drops", "I'm not sure about this so I'll read the reviews", "Why is this on the Wii?", etc, etc. UGH. No wonder Nintendo wanted to expand its audience. This kind of fickle fanbase is USELESS. I'm half-tempted to just tell Nintendo to give up entirely on the so-called "hardcore" and do what they've always done: make great games that appeal to everyone
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
The Last Story recently got a domain name filed from Nintendo of America... I can say this will most likely be coming out :p
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
whenever it comes to so-called "core" gamers on the Wii, I just stopped taking them seriously. They ask for hardcore games and then when one like Muramasa, No More Heroes, MAdworld, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Monster Hunter, or Sin and Punishment comes out I hear the SAME handful of excuses over and over again: "I might get this when the price drops", "I'm not sure about this so I'll read the reviews" "Why is this on the Wii?", etc, etc. UGH. No wonder Nintendo wanted to expand its audience. This kind of fickle fanbase is USELESS. I'm half-tempted to just tell Nintendo to give up entirely on the so-called "hardcore" and do what they've always done: make great games that appeal to everyone

Let's just go through this point by point:

1) Seriously? It's now unacceptable to read reviews?

2) You're criticizing people for not buying three games that haven't even been released here.

3) No More Heroes and Mad World were mediocre at best. If not for them being rare instances of more hardcore games on the Wii, they would not be particularly notable.

4) Nintendo may be making games that appeal to everyone but they are hardly great games. They are, by and large, shovel-ware. This is problematic because as you said, what originally made Nintendo a success was that they created great games in addition to games with mass appeal.

5) Say what you will about the hardcore, nobody is more fickle than casual players. I'm not going to say Nintendo is wrong for targeting the casual audience. It's certainly worked in the short term. Long term though, they'll only keep that audience so long as they continue to have the latest gimmick.
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
The Last Story recently got a domain name filed from Nintendo of America...

It wasn't recently. Nintendo registered the domain a year ago. Not that a simple domain registration means anything. Look at this:

Domain Name.......... mother3.com
Creation Date........ 1999-08-21
Registration Date.... 2009-07-05
Expiry Date.......... 2011-08-21
Organisation Name.... Nintendo of America Inc.
Organisation Address. 4820 150th Ave NE
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Redmond
Organisation Address. 98052
Organisation Address. WA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm digging that Kenshin game, though I'm not much of a gamer. If I had a PSP, I would get it cause it's Kenshin and I get to see Enishi!

Quote:
ignores some rampantly disliked characters created just for the anime series. And that's what fans care about first and foremost.

That would've just been weird to have the Meiji season/arc characters with all the others. Though I liked Shougo Amakusa and his sister, the rest I couldn't stand. Although I did find the Black Knights mildly intriguing, they really weren't necessary. I despised Misanagi and all the others that appeared after the Kyoto arc. Shougo was cool though. But that bald guy, glad Sanosuke killed him. Twisted Evil
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
The Last Story recently got a domain name filed from Nintendo of America...

It wasn't recently. Nintendo registered the domain a year ago. Not that a simple domain registration means anything. Look at this:

Domain Name.......... mother3.com
Creation Date........ 1999-08-21
Registration Date.... 2009-07-05
Expiry Date.......... 2011-08-21

Don't bring that up! I was finally starting to get over the fact that we'll never see an official English translation for that game. Anime cry

I really do hope we see a Western release of Last Story though. It is one of the very few Wii games that actually interests me. That, and for a Wii game, the graphics look amazing! Guess that's Unreal for ya. Wink

I was a big Kenshin fan back in the day, so I'd love a chance to play the new PSP game. Anime fighters tend to be pretty shallow games that are only good because of their marketing tie-ins however, so I doubt I'll be rushing out to import it. If I were to see it for a good price at a convention though....
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been keeping an eye on "The Last Story" for a while. It looks dangerously revolutionary - which means that it might fail. But it does seem to have a smaller 'scope' which might mean that the designers are taking the time to polish the mechanics.

Nintendo has been targeting the casual gamer a lot in the last few years- but even they will want to cut their teeth on harder and mature games. It'll just take some time for the new generation of gamer to catch up to us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2