• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos BD 1 Sells 22,000 to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It's really that good??... Damn.. well maybe I will check it out when a blu-ray comes here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Must... Go... Buy... For... BD French-tan...

Those are really good sales.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
It's really that good??... Damn.. well maybe I will check it out when a blu-ray comes here.

I think SentaiFilmworks licensed the series distribution, and they simuclasted the series on TheAnimeNetwork for registered users. They have both 360p and 720p versions of it.

It's pretty enjoyable even with generic elements.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Some rare real talk comin from me but, I wouldn't expect much from this series if you've already seen any other harem show. Fight scenes are pretty legit though.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
huh.. i will wait for the blurays to come out here though, but I guess a peek wouldn't be to bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Was more than likely supply constrained as well, I'm expecting total sales to be over 40k by the second week...
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
season 2 green lit
anemayfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The story follows the normal progression for a harem anime and there were no surprises so far story-wise. I liked it enough to want to eventually add it to my BD collection. However, I plan on jumping on the figure/toy line as soon as it comes out Smile
mantaray3001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
To Cecilthedarkknight_234 I say give it a try.

I personally find the show (although done before many times) to be a well polished harem show so I would actually look foward to a second season. Just because a show follows a genre that has been done many times before doesn't mean its bad as long its either well polished or tries to innovate by doing something different from the other shows that uses the same genre.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
I am very interested in this, since the possibility of a second season just went up. I am definitely eager to see more of this. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
Oh yay. Just more of what we need: anime about one boy in an all-girl school with harem hijinks.

Oh well, at least PMMM is going to sell 2x more, or possible even higher.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:

Some rare real talk comin from me but, I wouldn't expect much from this series if you've already seen any other harem show. Fight scenes are pretty legit though.

The other way around. Don't expect good fight scenes except maybe the first and last 2 episodes. This is pretty focused on the girls for the most part, and it's definitely one of the best harem I've seen to date.

Megiddo wrote:

Oh, yay. Just what we need: a story about a bunch of lolies.

Good harem is really rare these days. If it's not your type of anime, too bad for you, but as a fan of harems I enjoyed this thoroughly.
coral422

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
I can't and I don't plan to support this show in any way, but if that would help a relatively new anime studio and the Blu-ray industry then it's a good thing. Also this is a somewhat good leeway for the resurgence of mecha anime into the scene.
Eastren_Drawings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
The success of this anime baffles me to no end.

I mean, the harem part in itself is pretty harmless even though it requires the viewer to shut their brain completely down due to how brainless it is. But it's still something that's good for killing time when you're really bored and considering that it's legally available that's good as well.

But everything else? The battles, the ''drama'', when it takes itself seriously ... everything just breaks apart and it gets to the point where the show isn't simply bad, but insulting to my intelligence. The moment the anime asks you to even put a portion of your mind into it, you'll realise just how ludicrous everything is and how things don't add up at all.

Here's an example:-

spoiler[IS is an anime that would have one of its character's be placed in a dangerous situation like say getting into the IS Academy via unethical means with malicious intent to spy on one of the Academy's students, pretty much come at us and say if they are found out they would be put under trail and could be executed, then 3 episodes later said character reveals their secret anyway (for no reason at all) and then ... nothing. Really, despite the anime telling us that something will happen if this secret gets out, everyone reaction can be summed up ''SHOCK -> Oh well as long as everything is back to normal'']

This anime makes the worst mistake any story in any medium could make, that it fails to follow it's own rules.

I didn't care if the anime was unoriginal, cliché, generic whathaveyou, but when it tells me something that I'm suppose to take seriously at one moment, only for it to abandon it without explaining why it done so? When it betrays its own logic?

And this isn't even a battle example, the battles is where anyone who is attentive to what going on on screen would understand that the staff behind this show didn't give enough crap about making things consistent

In episode 4, spoiler[you have an enemy IS come crashing down and the protagonist is trapped fighting it in the arena with another character. We are told that noone will be able to enter or exit the arena, one of the students gets yelled at for suggesting that she enter to assist those trapped, and that the teachers with their IS will be getting in to fix the situation.

Only for one of the students to enter the arena by herself by walking in, the student who was yelled at joins the fight anyways, and none of the teachers come. At all. During the entire fight.]

In episode 7 spoiler[one student nearly kills two classmates in a fight for no good reason after she defeated them in mock battle (yes she actually attacks students who have been disarmed) and she is never shown to receive any punishment for doing so (in fact, despite the girls of the harem engaging in things like nearly killing people, destruction of school property, and even lieing to authority they are never shown to receive any punishment whatsoever or even any ridicule from any of the other sutdents)]

And then in episode 11spoiler[ when the protagonist and one other student go to stop a rouge IS, he notices a boat (that has not been attacked at all) and while being a targeted of the rouge IS, he forgoes an attack to take it down leaves his partner to deal with it, and basically positions himself so that the freaking boat is in the line of fire of the enemy IS!

Worst, the other student is blamed for all of this, and ends up apologizing to the protagonist (and he accepts it Exclamation )]

I have no idea how can this show be successful. Even if 8-bit, who have been responsible for Frontier's wonderful action scenes, are working on, it is not that well animated. It's not even all that well produced. This show being this successful makes me feel like I've just been given a slap in the face.

I could understand how it could be liked for the brainless antics, but this many ...!?

Sorry for any bad english
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
As evidenced by the "Frenchtan" in this thread, it sold well because of the pandering characters. For instance, in ISML, the following Infinite Stratos characters are participants: Charlotte, Huang, Laura, and Shinonono. So basically, it succeeded for the same reasons that K-ON! succeeded, except K-ON! didn't need the milquetoast harem male lead or harem antics/fanservice.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Megiddo wrote:

Oh, yay. Just what we need: a story about a bunch of lolies.

You mean: a GOOD story about a bunch of lolies, yes, today's anime needs that. Because most series don't bother to tell a story anymore, and even less manage to tell a good one ><

A lot of PMMM's success is thanks to its cute mainstream moe character design, but if more studios would combine such mainstream elements with actual content, an actual story, and a good one at that ... I think both kinds of anime fans (those who like cute characters, and those who like story) will be happier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3