• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara Projected to Win 4th Term

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infjeff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this guy and his laws are so annoying. We still don't have any good idea how much the bill will effect anime, and he wants more restrictions? What's next, anime is canceled forever? Sad

And I'm really surprised the Japanese would re-elect a guy that said Japan deserved the earthquake and it was divine punishment for being a selfish country.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
As he is a politician, maybe he known to be feasible in something

Aside from that, outside of Japan, we're no better in electing politicians.

Ah! Or maybe this is just something to shake our nerves and is not true. Idea
Kamikaze Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
What...the...hell...
With all he has done, with all he has said, why the hell would they still vote for him. The guy publicly hates otaku, gays, women, foreigners, etc. and he still gets voted back in? This is why I hate people sometimes.
This is something that has to stop. People have to stop blindly voting someone into office. The left just likes to scare people while the right are too scared to do anything. And the middle, that unfortunately doesn't exist.

Picture of voting distribution by age
If you look at the pictures in the above link, you can see that it looks like the older people get, the more they want to vote for Ishihara.

Last edited by Kamikaze Ghost on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:39 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wasn't this the guy who said the tsunami was the Japanese people's fault?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamikaze Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Yea, he said it was divine punishment (tenbatsu) for their sins. He recanted that statement later, but still...
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Sigh... We have the election coming up within a couple of weeks as well. People just don't care who they vote or not. Not even when things go bad.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Kamikaze Ghost wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Yea, he said it was divine punishment (tenbatsu) for their sins. He recanted that statement later, but still...

He recanted it but then later followed it up by saying it was a "divine warning," so that kinda implies he really thought what he said the first time...
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Can someone who is knowledgeable about Japanese politics please explain why a candidate with social positions more suited to the inaka consistently wins in the most cosmopolitan prefecture in the country?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
You're kidding me. After what he said about the tsunami victims, really? That would've been political suicide anywhere else...
EmilScherbe1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
The reason is simple.

Other candidates are also craps.

I voted communist party guy because he clearly opposed to Youth Healthy Development Ordinance and JCP have history to oppose
nuclear power plants.

But JCP has almost no chance to get seats without proportional representation system.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna guess that the reason he always wins is because the youth don't vote. Most young Japanese are off in their own worlds, and don't follow politics.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
EmilScherbe1 wrote:
The reason is simple.

Other candidates are also craps.

I was wondering if this was the case. If Ishihara was the best choice after all he's said and done then just how bad were those other candidates.

I guess it's also possible that with everything happening over there right now some people would rather not take their chances with a new guy in office and keep Ishihara since they understand him no matter how disliked.

Emerje
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
How the hell is he projected to win after the things he said about Japan after the quake? I know the other candidates are not all that great either but I would choose the lesser of the 2 evils after the things he said.

I mean I'm aware when it comes to this kinda stuff it's like 2 bowls of crap and the only difference is the smell. But still. This guy is a terrible person, A MASSIVE hypocrite and he seems intent on destroying the manga and anime industry at any cost which also shows he doesn't understand how important those industries are for Japan.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
It looks like a major problem is that the non-Ishihara vote is too fragmented. As much as the two-party system in the US sucks, it does seem to be easier to turn the tables around and possibly defeat a dominant but polarizing candidate...
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
How the hell is he projected to win after the things he said about Japan after the quake? I know the other candidates are not all that great either but I would choose the lesser of the 2 evils after the things he said.

I mean I'm aware when it comes to this kinda stuff it's like 2 bowls of crap and the only difference is the smell. But still. This guy is a terrible person, A MASSIVE hypocrite and he seems intent on destroying the manga and anime industry at any cost which also shows he doesn't understand how important those industries are for Japan.

Well I rather choose the rich guy then Ishihara because it would save my chances on him helping Japan back into a rich financial process over the long run.

Politics have less interesting just like pro wrestling still I am a fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6