• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Potential news story?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I checked around for awhile and it was the most fitting place to put it. This image was posted recently to Crunchyroll Pulse via Daily Bento.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/pulse/herro-kitty-spoof-104373

I was actually really surprised that such a racist image was put on to the page. I'm sure some will still find humor in it but it was surprising to me and there has, so far, been no mention of it or apology by any higher ups. Thought it might be interesting to look into.
Shunka Shuutou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Whoa.

Edit: I sent a PM to Shinji, the administrator of Crunchyroll, and told him about it. I hope he sees my message (it was my first time sending a PM there so I don't know if it was really sent) and takes action soon.
Second edit: Oops, I'm such an idiot that didn't read his profile. Embarassed Anybody got contact with the staff on Crunchyroll? I don't know of any unfortunately, but if you know someone there please send the link in the OP's message their way.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this makes it any better but I think that is of Emperor Hirohito, and looks a lot like the common political cartoon characterization of him before, during, and after WWII. Seems like an ill attempt to merge old perceptions of Japan in the states with the new.

Here is an example of how Emperor Hirohito was regularly drawn in political cartoons of the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1