• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Steins;Gate (TV)
Steins;Gate 0 (TV) (Alternate ending) (discussed here)

Genres: drama, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction, thriller
Themes: amnesia, butterfly effect, conspiracy, technology, time travel, tragedy

Plot Summary: A few months have passed since the members of the Future Gadgets Lab inadvertently unlocked the power of time travel using a phone and an old microwave, but for Rintaro Okabe it may as well have been an eternity. While his friends' memories remain mostly hazy, Okabe can still clearly recall crossing over hundreds of world lines, watching as his friends suffered and died innumerable times for meddling with the fabric of the universe. Though he ended up saving the life of his best friend Mayuri, Okabe is still suffering from the trauma of being unable to prevent the murder of the brilliant young scientist Kurisu Makise. He has focused on forgetting the past and moving on with his life, but he is constantly reminded by future freedom fighter Suzuha that their current world-line is set to be torn apart by a devastating Third World War, and all of the Future Gadget Lab members will be caught up in the struggle. Okabe must decide whether he will once again fight the future one final time.
----------------------------------

Not much for me to discuss yet, besides that I'm excited for this series. This is one of the Spring 2011 Anime that I am hyped about, but I really have no expectations. Before anyone mentions Chaos;Head, this anime has no relationship to Chaos;Head besides the fact they are made by the same companies, and have the same setting. The concept of a "time travel microwave" that sends text messages back to the past is interesting. I have all sorts of speculations going on in my head, and the main being: Timeline alternation. I guess we'll be in line for a minor case of mindfuck?

Until its simulcast tomorrow, leave your expectations for this series.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Loving it. The characters are awesome. I don't think I've related to a character this well for a good while (mad scientist). Hmm, gotta love this kind of protagonist.

Opening and ending sucked.

Gonna be awesome to watch this drunk.
anime engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
i read up about the game, the story seems very very interesting and is going to be very fun to watch it play out in english subs =P
Kirema

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this first episode and am definitely looking forward to the next couple since I know nothing about the game. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a good mindfuck now and then?

And I can't wait to see what our self proclaimed mad scientist does in the next episode.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I'm rewatching the first episode right now.

So, our protagonist is a delusional man. He seems a bit like Satou from Welcome To The NHK because of his delusions, and maybe similar to Taku from Chaos;Head because of paranoia (though Okarin's is not as extreme.) The other characters introduced so far do not have as much depth as the protagonist, but are still interesting. Cosplaying childhood friend, and a "hacker" who seems to go on 2ch often. There's also the mysterious red haired scientist chick. Because I had read the story off Wikipedia, I do understand what is going on, but I cannot really piece everything together yet. My memory of the story is pretty vague, but during this rewatch, I'm connecting things smoothly. Most of the viewers are probably confused now from what's going on, don't let that turn you away from this show.

So, what's this "Organization" that our mad scientist is pronouncing to be behind some events?
r3vival

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The first episode has definitely gotten me interested. As was mentioned above aside from the main character we really don't have that much depth for the others yet. I do like the main character for sure. The first episode was a bit confusing but I expected as much. I have no idea where this show will be heading hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Okabe is certainly delusional, but he is no Satou or Taku. Simply, the term 'Chu-ni-byou' fits him exactly. He is only acting like the third person because he thinks that makes him cooler. Nothing more, nothing less.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
... I guess we'll be in line for a minor case of mindfuck?

lol haven't seen that in a while
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.

I wonder if those guys are the parallel reality evil twins of the docile scientists working at the LHC Razz

It's the only first episode so far in this season that I can say I like (almost) without reservations.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Great Episode, drew me in more and was really interesting.

Highlights:

spoiler[Okarin's Delusions
Cosplay Maid Cafe Visit
The Trap
]

Nice to see that I actually get several laughs and view a serious story at the same time. Okarin's delusions can be quite funny. The spoiler[trap] explanation was funny too. We're also introduced to more prominent characters, and I'm still interested in the story, but the characters are catching my attention at this point.

Now I really want to play the game...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 1. What the....

This is the first and probably last series from the new season that caught my attention, so far I cant make a lot out of it, but I have quite enjoyed the first episode.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
I sense that Kana Hanazawa is going to be like, the staple actress of at least the first half of the decade. Seriously, damn, that voice.

But I think in general their seiyuu cast is performing admirably. Kurisu's actress does better than a lot of others, it's a pity she doesn't seem to have many roles.
So far this is the best show of the season, hands down.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series, but the mad scientist guy's laugh has got to GO.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Laughed my way through this episode. That man is just hilarious - and how about the way he had to keep reminding himself that the cutie was a boy. Laughing
Very, very fun so far. Damn. this character design is awesome.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I sense that Kana Hanazawa is going to be like, the staple actress of at least the first half of the decade. Seriously, damn, that voice.

Holy ####, I looked her up and she's playing every character this year. It's easier to count the shows she's not in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25