• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
This is why I don't buy any anime or manga until it's fully released.

At $10 a volume some people have now thrown over $200 down the drain on a series that will never be complete which would personally make me even less likely to spend money on anything Viz releases in future.

I can understand that if the series is already complete in Japan but for an ongoing series like Bleach or Naruto or Gintama why would you wait? I mean you're probably reading scans anyway so just buy the mas they get released/you have money to do so and you'll help ensure the continued publication.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Viz put Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on hiatus, but eventually re-continued it when sales improved. If all Gintama fans went out and bought volume 22, enough to show that there is an actual demand for the series, there's always a chance they could continue it in the future.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
After 25 volumes you're mainly selling to people who have been buying all along. It's hard to convince new readers to spend $250 just to catch up, provided they can even find the magazines. And unlike One Piece, Naruto and Bleach, the Gintama anime never had the NA TV exposure.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Ushio wrote:

At $10 a volume some people have now thrown over $200 down the drain on a series that will never be complete which would personally make me even less likely to spend money on anything Viz releases in future.

I can understand that if the series is already complete in Japan but for an ongoing series like Bleach or Naruto or Gintama why would you wait? I mean you're probably reading scans anyway so just buy the mas they get released/you have money to do so and you'll help ensure the continued publication.

Because Viz is notorious for dropping series and I was burnt by them in the past with Guyver, Patlabor and Urusei Yatsura which back then I bought both there monthly releases and the complete volumes.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
After they dropped/hiatused Strawberry 100% (I could never find out which) I just sorta stopped buying anything new from Viz. What's the point if they're just gonna stop halfway through.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'm up to volume 21 right now and this news in really annoying. Well, I guess I'll buy the last few volumes but having such a large incomplete collection is going to be a pain -_- Maybe I should just see this as a learning experience and move on...
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Reminds me when I heard Dark Horse decided to stop running 3x3 Eyes. Never got into Gintama heavily, but I understood the appeal, too bad.
Failachu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

While I understand and agree to an extent, that's definitely a reason why these things get dropped in the first place.

If half the people who were going to buy Gintama wanted to wait, Viz has no way of knowing that... they wouldn't make any money.

But sadly (or not, not everybody cares for Viz), this habit isn't going to change. Both Viz's unnecessary veil of secrecy and their tendency to dropped series halfway through has crippled the companies reputation. If a majority of potential customers don't even expect Viz to do so much as to finish publishing a series, then they have lost respect for the company, and Viz has failed as a publisher

What they need to focus on as of right now is lifting the aura of low expectations around the company.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

While I understand and agree to an extent, that's definitely a reason why these things get dropped in the first place.

If half the people who were going to buy Gintama wanted to wait, Viz has no way of knowing that... they wouldn't make any money.

But sadly (or not, not everybody cares for Viz), this habit isn't going to change. Both Viz's unnecessary veil of secrecy and their tendency to dropped series halfway through has crippled the companies reputation. If a majority of potential customers don't even expect Viz to do so much as to finish publishing a series, then they have lost respect for the company, and Viz has failed as a publisher

What they need to focus on as of right now is lifting the aura of low expectations around the company.

Pretty much so, the only thing I think viz has going for them left is naruto, bleach and inuyasha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skafreak51

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
At this point I hope Viz is "relieved" of their Shonen Jump contract, because this is ridiculous. At the very least, let another publisher finish putting out the rest of them, which I sadly doubt will happen.

For people like me who have poured money into Viz, I can really say that this is messed up.
xeroth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm surprised they confirmed it was going to be the last volume. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... Does that mean there's a chance Strawberry 100% & Hitman Reborn may continue at some point? Since they've not confirmed for those two? (as far as I know).

Gintama was seriously going to be the next series I was going to pick up as well. Just as I did with Hunter x Hunter I'll buy about 6 volumes at a time until I've caught up, now it looks like I'll have saved myself some money at least...

I've never read any Scanlations, couldn't see the appeal of reading off a screen, I'd always wait for official releases even though they're way behind, but if this is how things are trending I may have no other choice Sad
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
At this point I hope Viz is "relieved" of their Shonen Jump contract, because this is ridiculous. At the very least, let another publisher finish putting out the rest of them, which I sadly doubt will happen.

For people like me who have poured money into Viz, I can really say that this is messed up.

Viz is jointly owned by Shogakukan publisher of shonen sunday and Shueisha publisher of shonen jump so their never going to be relieved of their contract
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:

As others have pointed out, this is literally Shuiesha/Shonen Jump publishing the series itself. It's not like they did a poor job with it either- their SJump titles are generally high quality.

If SJump themselves couldn't find success with the series, no other pub is going to take it on. Bookstores are apparently squeamish about license recues from other pubs, unless they previous ed. was a good seller like Sailor Moon or Love Hina.

edit- anyone know if it's one of the 100-odd series VIZ has on the Ipad? Though that mostly seems to be their better sellers.

I guess the lesson is if you like a series- support it, and hope for the best. VIZ has completed a lot of longrunning series lately, so there's a good chance your fave'll be okay if you support it.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I think Viz did not even bother to state they weren't publishing Reborn. Too bad, but it's hard to take it seriously when seeing the character in the cover Laughing

Really now? Hard to take this seriously?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-56151

They always say "Don't judge a book by its cover."

I stopped supporting Viz when they stopped releasing Reborn manga. They have nothing I want from them. No other manga I want or no other anime. Just a useless company who only cares about their precious Naruto and Bleach and doesn't give a damn about any of the other stuff they have.

I say they should just drop everything they have and focus solely on Naruto and Bleach, because that's all they're good for.

Last edited by Kazemon15 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of old news for anyone who visits the manga section of the forum, but hopefully an article on ANN will prompt Viz to say something about this, and possibly Reborn and the rest. I really wish Viz would at least try the omnibus route before outright cancellation.

I never bought the manga, so I'm not too torn up about it, but I did buy Reborn, so I can relate to the frustration. I usually prefer the manga when it comes to Jump series, but for Gintama, I think the humor works much better animated and with voices. So I'm fine watching it on Anime Network for now.

Kazemon15 wrote:
sainta wrote:
I think Viz did not even bother to state they weren't publishing Reborn. Too bad, but it's hard to take it seriously when seeing the character in the cover Laughing

Really now? Hard to take this seriously?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-56151

They always say "Don't judge a book by its cover."

That's the tricky thing with Reborn. Unless you know how it changes, the initial impression is just going to be "silly comedy". And quite frankly, the first few volume are hit or miss, and the art is just rough. But it makes a huge transformation later on. What bugs me about how Viz treated Reborn is that they had a potential hit with it and they never once tried to promote it in any significant way, especially after it turned into an action series.

Quote:

I stopped supporting Viz when they stopped releasing Reborn manga. They have nothing I want from them. No other manga I want or no other anime. Just a useless company who only cares about their precious Naruto and Bleach and doesn't give a damn about any of the other stuff they have.

I say they should just drop everything they have and focus solely on Naruto and Bleach, because that's all they're good for.

This is needlessly harsh, I think. Just look at their Signature line and their Ikki titles. Or their VizBig line with high quality paper. Or the fact that they chose to release Cross Game. They've put a lot of care and effort into things that are not guaranteed sellers, so it's very unfair to say that they don't care. The manga industry isn't doing so well, unfortunately, so even Viz, who once released ALL of Firefighter Daigo (which almost no one bought), has to cut back. Say what you will about Bleach and Naruto, but a lot of times the success of big series like those two is what allows them to take chances on smaller titles.

Last edited by bahamut623 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6