• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kimagure Orange Road: The Movie DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:35 am Reply with quote
I really need to get around to watching this. The TV series and manga were pretty enjoyable, but if it matches the ending of Maison Ikokku in emotional impact, then I'm sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I really need to get around to watching this. The TV series and manga were pretty enjoyable, but if it matches the ending of Maison Ikokku in emotional impact, then I'm sold.

Well, it's good... but it's nowhere as good as the manga. In fact, spoiler[it makes Kyosuke into more of an asshat, and gives Hikaru the "fatal attraction" scenario. I much prefer the manga ending. End it with a slap, have Kyosuke stay in character and let Hikaru keep her dignity.]

It's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie... I really enjoyed it a lot when I first saw it. But I had the (mis)fortune of seeing it before I saw the TV series or had any exposure to the manga either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Circle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:53 am Reply with quote
This review nailed it right on.
Santos wrote:
Kimagure Orange Road develops its three main characters to such a high level that their feelings become the viewer's feelings too.

If you've been jaded by too many wacky romantic comedies or cheese-laden angstfests, and want to see characters behaving and falling in love like real human beings, then this is what you need.

I couldn't have thought of a better way to describe the series. Successful love-triangle stories are tragedies for the ones left alone in the end, and the viewers feel for that person. So because KOR developes the 3 characters so well, there's no way you can't feel sad for the 3rd person. Watch some (if not all) of the TV first before this movie, of course. And Jingoro is one cool cat. I've read the manga too, they're pretty much the same but I like the movie ending more. More Angst Twisted Evil .
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:58 am Reply with quote
Santos wrote:
The opening of the movie should clue you in: it starts off in black and white, showing several city shots before we see Kyosuke and Madoka heading to the university to check their entrance exam results. An off-handed comment is overheard, which leads Kyosuke to ponder the events of last summer -- and the animation jumps into vibrant color. How’s that for an artistic touch?

Oh, come on! Sure, it's an artistic touch. Sure, it works great. But it's also literally the oldest trick in the book, as far as B/W and colour is concerned.

When I say, "oldest trick in the book", I mean it. The technique described was used in the beginning of The Wizard of Oz (1939). Initially shown in sepia-toned B/W, Dorothy (played by Judy Garland) is transported to the magical land of Oz - and as she steps out into Oz, the film transforms to full Technicolor. The effect is dazzling.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iria51

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, this is one of the best love triangles in anime. The TV series did a very good job building up the emotion and the story, and the movie gave the series the dramatic and emotional ending that it deserved. I am proud to say that this movie always chokes me up when I see it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Santos wrote:
The opening of the movie should clue you in: it starts off in black and white, showing several city shots before we see Kyosuke and Madoka heading to the university to check their entrance exam results. An off-handed comment is overheard, which leads Kyosuke to ponder the events of last summer -- and the animation jumps into vibrant color. How’s that for an artistic touch?

Oh, come on! Sure, it's an artistic touch. Sure, it works great. But it's also literally the oldest trick in the book, as far as B/W and colour is concerned.

When I say, "oldest trick in the book", I mean it. The technique described was used in the beginning of The Wizard of Oz (1939). Initially shown in sepia-toned B/W, Dorothy (played by Judy Garland) is transported to the magical land of Oz - and as she steps out into Oz, the film transforms to full Technicolor. The effect is dazzling.

- abunai
So the problem is.....? Arrow

The old one's are the best. Wink

Is that picture of the cover for the movie a VHS cover? A bit thick for a DVD case but maybe that's just the way it scans.
I have the OVA and first movie on VHS as that was all that was available at the time. I too agree to all that Santo's said This is one of the few anime's that has a more realistic plot. Okay he has a gift of being an ESPer but that is played down rather than the be all and end all of the story. The story IS the relationships between the three. I wish there were more titles like it really. I'm just an old romantic myself. Embarassed Wink
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the KOR TV series or any of the OVAs, but I DID see Summer's Beginning and liked it quite a bit. I guess that makes it kind of pointless for me to watch the series now, since I know who Kyosuke ends up with. I'd really like to see it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I've never seen the KOR TV series or any of the OVAs, but I DID see Summer's Beginning and liked it quite a bit. I guess that makes it kind of pointless for me to watch the series now, since I know who Kyosuke ends up with. I'd really like to see it, though.
Well you could watch the OVA and think of it as a long flash back. Wink
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Last night I rented this instead of studying like I should have. I have to say that while a good movie, it's rather overrated. The director had talent, I can see why Ghibli became interested in him, but it's not the tearjerker everyone says it is. I dunno, I guess I'm just more of a Maison Ikokku guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:07 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Last night I rented this instead of studying like I should have. I have to say that while a good movie, it's rather overrated. The director had talent, I can see why Ghibli became interested in him, but it's not the tearjerker everyone says it is. I dunno, I guess I'm just more of a Maison Ikokku guy.
I trust you have seen the OVA before then? If you haven't then that could be one explanation why you reacted that way.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the OVA. I've seen the TV series and read a couple volumes of the comic, that's it. And Godaistudios is right about what happens to the characters.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I haven't seen the OVA. I've seen the TV series and read a couple volumes of the comic, that's it. And Godaistudios is right about what happens to the characters.
Both movies are OVA canon I believe.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jfrog wrote:
Both movies are OVA canon I believe.

They aren't canon per se... although they kinda fall in line (one being the first of 2(?) novels written) for afterwards, it is not the same as the original manga ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about what's canon and what isn't. I'm a Leiji Matsumoto fan, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1