• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...

Well, they are a company. You know, one that has to make a profit, in order to pay their employees, purchase raw materials, fund licensing, etcetera...

If the fans aren't buying the product, then I don't think Viz has a responsibility to keep printing an unprofitable series.
toyNN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how "sales" would be if they weren't always so far far behind in the translated volumns. I understand its hard not to be considering they wouldn't even do the translations if it already wasn't a popular well selling manga in Japan.

But the manga gets so far behind - anime and scanalations would seem to cannibalize the potential audience. Being 2yrs behind isn't any help for sure and if they could figure out a way not to be it would be a win for everyone.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...

Well, they are a company. You know, one that has to make a profit, in order to pay their employees, purchase raw materials, fund licensing, etcetera...

If the fans aren't buying the product, then I don't think Viz has a responsibility to keep printing an unprofitable series.

I have something to say about this. Yes they ARE a company....and what do we expect from a company? Professionalism. There is nothing professional about how Viz handles their other products or their translations. Reborn is the most horrible translated manga they have. It's half-assed and released every 5 months when it was still being released. If a company does not put care and hard work and effort into their product, why should fans support something that is less than decent?

Maybe Ginatama's translations were horrible as wel, I don't know.

But I can speak about the Reborn community. All of them state they don't buy it BECAUSE the translations are so bad. They state why should they waste 10-15 bucks on a manga they can hardly understand and where the scanlations are much better than Viz's half-assed version?

Last edited by Kazemon15 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't get this. All this is going to do is make people hesitant to start buying a series when it's starting to be released; I for one would not like to start buying a series only to find that it is never going to be fully published in English.

I'm no expert on publishing by far, but if I were in charge of Viz, I'd be more selective of the titles I started to publish and make a strong commitment to continue publication of anything my company starts.
Matriel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear this, maybe Gintama will get finished in the not too distant future. There are too many series that die off this way...

Last edited by Matriel on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was planning on buying the Gintama manga, but it's unfortunate that this will be the last volume we get. The main series I'm trying to support is Case Closed (with 38 volumes currently released, and volume 39 has a release date of July 12th). I might just buy the volumes of Gintama that I find, just to add them to my collection.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:

Well, of course, they're not a charity or pro bono NGO. Laughing

skafreak51 wrote:
Ushio wrote:
This is why I don't buy any anime or manga until it's fully released.

While I understand and agree to an extent, that's definitely a reason why these things get dropped in the first place.

If half the people who were going to buy Gintama wanted to wait, Viz has no way of knowing that... they wouldn't make any money.

Hmmm... maybe fans like that could put their money on escrow that Viz could collect when Viz releases the whole thing.

For example, if the whole thing costs $400, then each fan puts $400 on escrow which Viz collects upon sending the complete series. At least that way, Viz knows how much guaranteed sales coming its way. Laughing

Failachu wrote:
If a majority of potential customers don't even expect Viz to do so much as to finish publishing a series, then they have lost respect for the company, and Viz has failed as a publisher

What they need to focus on as of right now is lifting the aura of low expectations around the company.

What Viz should do is just not licenses long series in the first place unless it's on TV. Because it becomes a circular logic: if the series doesn't sell, they stop publishing it; if they stop publishing it, the series doesn't sell. Just avoid the whole thing and just don't publish it to begin with.

skafreak51 wrote:
At this point I hope Viz is "relieved" of their Shonen Jump contract, because this is ridiculous. At the very least, let another publisher finish putting out the rest of them, which I sadly doubt will happen.

Technically, they could sell the license for someone else to continue. But if it was discontinued due to low sales, whoever buys that license must expect to live in low profit margins and thus need to minimize production cost as much as possible (maybe use cheaper quality paper, cheaper translators, editors, workers, etc). Suffice to say, there won't be a lot of buyers.

Jaymie wrote:
Viz should do Print On Demand. That's the one aspect where Tokyopop trumps Viz. Tokyopop's POD titles are really nice. They cost a lot more, but the pages and cover stock are amazing.

Most fans wouldn't pay that much. They don't love it that much. Laughing

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

I'm no expert on publishing by far, but if I were in charge of Viz, I'd be more selective of the titles I started to publish and make a strong commitment to continue publication of anything my company starts.

Then you wouldn't select Gintama to start with, unless it gets on TV. Laughing
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I don't know, there are some crazy fans out there. Like me, for instance.

I'm not a Gintama fan, Im a Reborn fan...any price tag on something Reborn doesn't stop me if Im going to get it without a doubt.

I currently imported all the Japanese DVDs of this show and still collecting. I also imported the mang and all the chibi figurines, watches, artbooks, novels, ect.... so don't go assuming no one loves a series that much and is willing to pay to support it.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this when it was just speculation. It's awful, and I hope it doesn't mean more series will get dropped from Viz or other publishers in the near future.

Strangely, it seems Kodansha is stepping into the North American publishing market right when so many layoffs and series drops are happening. With so many people unwilling to buy in this economy (or just in general, freakin' pirates) it seems sales of physical volumes are headed for a bucket drop. Confused

Kazemon15 wrote:

But I can speak about the Reborn community. All of them state they don't buy it BECAUSE the translations are so bad. They state why should they waste 10-15 bucks on a manga they can hardly understand and where the scanlations are much better than Viz's half-assed version?

Seriously. If these kids are going to read scanlations so they don't have to "suffer" or "support" the "atrocious" English adaptation, they should at least buy the original tankoubon in Japanese. They can be cheaper, and you still support the artists while (legally and morally) enjoying the works at the same time. There really isn't any justification to enjoy someone's hard work for free, there are plenty of legal venues available outside of the official translated releases. Not that hard work or effort ever counted for much amongst pirates anyways. Rolling Eyes

And to be honest scanlators can be just as bad, especially when you consider that Japanese:English isn't always a 1:1 deal (oftentimes there's plenty of room for interpretation). I've seen works that completely mince the subtle nuances of the Japanese translation, or completely get the translation off because of idiom usage or puns, or just plain poor Japanese language understanding (or in some cases, English), etc. Kids devour them anyways because they have no idea the translation's inaccurate, it still gives "a general idea" of what's going on, and they're unwilling to wait to find out what happens next. How do you really know, unless you can read the language and see for yourself? Most of these kids probably can't anyways, and can't be bothered to. Rolling Eyes
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The reason these mangas are discontinuing is because SJ is milking Naruto and Bleach. Rolling Eyes In fact, I noticed it a few days ago. I've been collecting SJ since grade school (I'm 20 btw) and noticed that the covers of SJ have had either naruto or ichigo on them and they've been advertising the anime and games that go with them. It's times like this i wish i lived in Japan (i've been taking Japanese for 3 years), because at least OP(which i've gotten back into since its run on Toonami) LITERALLY beat naruto & bleach with 1 million copies
Ren of Heavens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So I just went to check when the next Shakugan no Shana was out, and Viz has listed #6 as "Final Volume!", when #9 is out in Japan and the series is ongoing. I stayed loyal and waited patiently nearly a year between each volume while they churned out 8,000 Naruto/Bleach Evil or Very Mad

Really loosing patience with series' being silently killed off or declared finished when it clearly isn't.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I don't know, there are some crazy fans out there. Like me, for instance.

I'm not a Gintama fan, Im a Reborn fan...any price tag on something Reborn doesn't stop me if Im going to get it without a doubt.

I currently imported all the Japanese DVDs of this show and still collecting. I also imported the mang and all the chibi figurines, watches, artbooks, novels, ect.... so don't go assuming no one loves a series that much and is willing to pay to support it.

I agree with you. I got Vol. 1-3 for Christmas last year, now 4-6 and hoping to get 7-9. Also i would'nt mind seeing the show get licensed here. That would be nice
RJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Damn that totally sucks. I've been trying to support Gintama by buying the manga (have up to 20) and even the Sentai releases (have first 3 volumes) but guess people like me are far in between.

I have to say though that the anime is much better than the manga and since its available on Crunchyroll for free that is probably a major contributing factor (of course other than the cultural references).

I just hope Sentai isn't going to stop releasing the DVDs. Have to support Sorachi's insanity anyway I can.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:

Exactly. In the business world, if it doesn't sell well enough for minimal return, you have to cut your loses and discontinue it before the loses outweigh the profit.

I don't blame Viz Media for doing this, even I too suported Viz Media with Gintama. If the fans aren't buying it, Viz Media has no other option.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
What the hell, Viz!?

First Reborn! and now Gintama. If Viz decides to release the series digitally, that could pose a problem since Viz's Digital editions are exclusive to the ipad and I am not sure if you can read them within itunes itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6