• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, FUNimation, Geneon form joint venture

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh? FUNimation's listed as a "top 3?" What happened to Bandai?

Not that I've got a problem with FUNi, I'm just surprised to know that they rank higher than Bandai already. But then again, there are quite a few DBZ products and such, so that may be a big reason why Anime catgrin.
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised, too, to see FUNi up there. I guess this is better than them fighting over rights (I don't even know if this happens). The way I see it, each company will bring what they're best at and we will get way better US releases. ::crosses fingers for more extras on DVDs::
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is going to be something huge! As long as it doesn't fall on its face, the anime industry is going to get a huge boost.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the point. It's tough enough for a bigger company like 4Kids to get ad revenue and airtime. So what will those three be able to offer, in terms of content? I mean look at MS. The company has a lot of money, but it's not very good at creating a popular system or providing decent games. Plus ADV's stretched too thin already with its numerous subdivisions, forcing FUNimation and Geneon to provide most of the resources. And FUNimation's currently trying to keep Conan afloat. All in all, I consider the venture a huge risk with a minimal return, and I'm wondering if it could be a response to a declining anime market in Japan.
Koe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Um... What does this mean, exactly? Anime hyper;;
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, what if they're... *gasp*.. trying to license Naruto!? Shocked

Ha, ha Laughing. Just kidding. I haven't even seen Naruto myself, so I guess I don't really care.

Or perhaps, maybe they can start distributing each other's titles so all the Geneon DVDs won't be as expensive. Rolling Eyes That would be super though, so I could get the rest of Last EXILE sooner. Surprised
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So will this be for a channel? Or one big company? And what will they be called...? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
wow, this means great things for the anime network.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
So will this be for a channel? Or one big company? And what will they be called...? Confused

"FUNneon Visions?" Razz

Heck, I forgot all about the TV aspect... That would be cool, though being in college, I probably wouldn't have the time to watch any of it right now Anime cry.

The joint company thing, though, is probably the best bet for now.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wait a minute, what if they're... *gasp*.. trying to license Naruto!? Shocked

That... actually came immediately to mind. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop But it sounds like they're actually looking to make their own stuff.

This sounds a lot like the anime version of Nintendo, Namco, and Sega's Triforce venture.

So if it does become each company doing what they do best then I could easily see:

Geneon- Animation production
ADV- Marketing and world-wide distribution
FUNimation- Television and merchandising

That's quite the tallent pool right there of voice actors and other tallents.

I'm actually not surprised that Bandai isn't part of this, whatever this group seeks to accomplish Bandai already does on their own (production, distribution, marketing, merchandising, etc.).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Just make me wonder how Bandai, Media Blasters, Manga Entertainment, Central Park Media, Anime Nation Entertainment, Right Stuff International and Broccoli are going to respond.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...since the focus is children and young adults, it looks like another "Disney method" team-up (i.e. feature-length commercial for merchandise, disguised as a real show or movie). Those of us seeking content will be out on the Long Tail...
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

So if it does become each company doing what they do best then I could easily see:

Geneon- Animation production
ADV- Marketing and world-wide distribution
FUNimation- Television and merchandising

That's quite the tallent pool right there of voice actors and other tallents.

I was thinking the same thing. It fits perfectly. Nice observation, Emerje.

I'm excited about this, but not surprised. At least not as much as many people are. After attending a couple of anime conventions I noticed that Dave Williams or a representative of ADV and/or Lance from FUNimation, has always down played a rivalry or that they carry ill will toward one another. Fact is-if I remember correctly-they even had said that they would love an opportunity to work together. They said it almost all the time at conventions. Some of us just didn't pay too much attention to it as it seems.

Whatever the joint venture is, I just hope it hits us hard and makes a big impact on a mainstream-pop-culture level. Heck, if video games can do it, why can't anime?
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused as well what this joint venture entails. More than ADV shows on TAN? Possibly splitting costs for advertising on TV? Less ADV focus in Newtype USA? More help for retailers?

I'm also not sure I like the sound of the "children & young adults" slant. I realize the average age of anime fans have dropped, but still...
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they all want to just on TAN bandwagon. It makes perfect sense for them to be included in the lineup. More power, more money...broaden the broadcast region. Really put it in our faces. Sure do wish there was more in the way of an idea of what they are planning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5