• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
alexcampos wrote:
GOOD RIDDANCE to overrated manga Very Happy
So many Negative thoughts just came into my head... When I came across your comment. Though, I rather just keep those Negative comments off ANN...

I'm an expert on the subject but calling something overrated in a negative way is something trolls tend to do

OR....

maybe I have a different opinion Surprised

Too bad Gintama had such a LOUSY fanbase that it drove Viz to stop making translations.

I won't miss this manga from popping up and collecting DUST in Borders' bookshelves and neither will anyone..... apparently.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This is the best manga on sale in the US and they're going to stop selling it? Did someone at Viz hit their head on something?

The final volume of Gintama will be the final volume of manga I ever buy from Viz unless they have a veeeery good reason for suddenly cancelling my favorite series.
dawgstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
The final volume of Gintama will be the final volume of manga I ever buy from Viz unless they have a veeeery good reason for suddenly cancelling my favorite series.

How does 'didn't make enough money' work for you? That's all it is. People can't afford to buy a lot these days, which means they're not likely to try something new and especially not so long-running. If you like to blame Viz's translations, let's say that may have turned off some people who did try it out.

Haven't read the series myself, but it does seem that a working knowledge of Japanese pop culture is a pretty strong requirement for one's enjoyment of the series. When you boil it down to people who A) know enough about Japanese culture to find it hilarious and B) can afford it and C) are the type to read something for volumes and volumes you'd probably find that market ain't the biggest.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
spartydragon wrote:
Why not... do print-on-demand tankobons?

This x 1000. Whether it be books, music or tv/movies, I don't understand the point of owning the rights to something and doing it print on demand. The setup fee for services like these are in the area of $25-$75 per title. What is the point of refusing to make money on a project and submitting all sales to the second-hand market?

For any title where a company wouldn't have to pay anything other than the $75 one time setup costs (ie they own the rights/license to release it), I don't see the point to not doing print-on-demand unless you're actively releasing it or in the process of actively releasing it.

I don't know the exact logistics of it, but it's not really practical, which is why so far only one company has tried it, and even then, they're only dipping their toes in. The less books you print at a time, the more expensive it is...and the more you print at a time, the less expensive it is, like buying in bulk at one of those big warehouse stores. That's why a POD Tokyopop title costs more than the usual $10, because they're printing the books one at a time as orders come in.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is this some sort of sick joke?! what are they gonna cancel next, Naruto?!

That's when we'll know the entire domestic manga industry is over.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Most fans wouldn't pay that much. They don't love it that much. Laughing

I don't know, there are some crazy fans out there. Like me, for instance.

I'm not a Gintama fan, Im a Reborn fan...any price tag on something Reborn doesn't stop me if Im going to get it without a doubt.

I currently imported all the Japanese DVDs of this show and still collecting. I also imported the mang and all the chibi figurines, watches, artbooks, novels, ect.... so don't go assuming no one loves a series that much and is willing to pay to support it.

I said "most." Smile

spartydragon wrote:

The trouble is we don't know what their expectations are. I mean, if this is accurate, comics just flat don't sell that much in the US: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19571.html so their expectations could have been fairly low. I mean, the bulk of the stuff on that list (Gintama included) sold below 1,000 copies so... I dunno what count as a success.

[Link URL fixed]
That link measures Diamond and specialty stores aka comic book shops. Gintama probably sells more in bookstores.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is this some sort of sick joke?! what are they gonna cancel next, Naruto?!

No, because Naruto actually sell. Laughing

domino wrote:
This is the best manga on sale in the US and they're going to stop selling it? Did someone at Viz hit their head on something?

Best manga != best-selling manga

That's a good reason. Very Happy

bahamut623 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
spartydragon wrote:
Why not... do print-on-demand tankobons?

This x 1000. Whether it be books, music or tv/movies, I don't understand the point of owning the rights to something and doing it print on demand. The setup fee for services like these are in the area of $25-$75 per title. What is the point of refusing to make money on a project and submitting all sales to the second-hand market?

For any title where a company wouldn't have to pay anything other than the $75 one time setup costs (ie they own the rights/license to release it), I don't see the point to not doing print-on-demand unless you're actively releasing it or in the process of actively releasing it.

I don't know the exact logistics of it, but it's not really practical, which is why so far only one company has tried it, and even then, they're only dipping their toes in. The less books you print at a time, the more expensive it is...and the more you print at a time, the less expensive it is, like buying in bulk at one of those big warehouse stores. That's why a POD Tokyopop title costs more than the usual $10, because they're printing the books one at a time as orders come in.

It'll cost even greater if it's something that has not been released before. Because not only is the cost of printing the book split on fewer buyers but also the cost of manpower production (translation, typesetting, editing, cover art, marketing, distribution, administration, etc) split on fewer buyers.

If it was released before in bookstores, then most of the cost for print-on-demand is just on printing, as the cost of manpower production has already been split before en masse in bookstores.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This is sooo frustrating!

1. What drives Viz to promote some SJ series and drop others?

One Piece sold better in Japan than NA, and its anime hasn't been on TV here in years. Yet Viz did a OP marathon with heavy promotion.

2. Gintama *is not* widely scanlated. OP is.

3. How bad were the sales, really? Did they drop when the anime went on hiatus? The show just started up again, and Crunchyroll has been promoting it. Why couldn't Viz wait a few months to see if new episodes would bring new readers before announcing a "final volume"?

4. Does this mean that we'll never see an SJ comedy series from Viz again? I was hoping that Beelzebub and Sket Dance would have their mangas brought over State-side by Viz. Guess not. Sad

Personally, I love the Gintama manga and bought the volumes because I like to re-read things that make me laugh. Anime and scanlations are not the same, and never will be. I'll miss Sorachi's author's notes!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Let's not rely on the figures from TOKYOPOP be the barometer of POD.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
4. Does this mean that we'll never see an SJ comedy series from Viz again? I was hoping that Beelzebub and Sket Dance would have their mangas brought over State-side by Viz. Guess not. Sad

Personally, I love the Gintama manga and bought the volumes because I like to re-read things that make me laugh. Anime and scanlations are not the same, and never will be. I'll miss Sorachi's author's notes!

Oh no, I hope not! I really want to see Beelzebub get licensed, and Sket Dance would be nice too. Also, I love the Gintama anime, and was thinking of picking up the manga almost for the sole sake of Sorachi's author notes (which I'm sure are absoluuuutely hilarious).

Crossing my fingers that Sentai will release all of the Gintama anime >.<
DTJB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, and apparently, from what I can tell, Viz is still releasing Ultimate Muscle. Does anyone still have interest in that one?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
toynn: There's no reason to speed up a release of a series which isn't ending any time soon, anyway, unless there's a possibility it's not going to be very long.

Kazamon: A good translation's not going to make up for weak writing and art. Besides, people can "catch up" with the anime on CR. Same with GT. But sometimes, anime broadcasts/streams aren't enough to save a manga. I should know as a Lupin fan. Besides, what incentive does Viz have to improve Reborn if no one's buying it?

Shadowfax: I'm sure Viz wants to finish many of the titles it brings over here, but it just doesn't always work out that way.

enurtsol: I'm ok with Viz taking a chance on a long series if it makes sense to bring it over here. For example, while Monster hasn't caught on, 20th Century Boys can still stand on its own because of fantasy and pop culture elements which would appeal to non-Japanese readers. Speaking of which, I'm glad it and Slam Dunk are still being published.

Lizzie: Bleach and Naruto pay the bills. And I'm guessing the only reason that OP survived being released with so many books is that the scantalators actually pay for it. Well, that and Toei really wants to see the OP anime make in-roads in the American market, so it promotes the hell out of the show on its own.

Ren: If Shana couldn't make any more money with the FUNi re-release of the anime, then there's nothing Viz can do about it.

alexcampos: I don't think GT's overrated, but a victim of its own success.

sparty:
Quote:
I know, but they hardly promote the SJ Advanced line - which is what Gintama is a part of.

You have a point there. But outside of Death Note, there's unfortunately not much of a demand for that brand. Eyeshield's done ok, but I think the only reason Ultimate Muscle made it to the end was they print a limited run on those volumes. Maybe they should re-name it? 'Cus I will admit the label sounds like something you'd name a pair of underpants for Japanese toddlers. Laughing

Agent: One Piece has Shueisha and Toei behind it, though. And being widely scantalated or not doesn't mean anything if a series is getting bad buzz in the first place. Otherwise, Naruto would be canceled by now, if the opposite were the case. As for the comedy stuff, it will still
happen, but it'll have to have broad appeal. So, in that sense, I can see Sket Dance and Beelzebub crossing over here better than GT.

DTJB: Ultimate Muscle's a guilty pleasure for me, but they're not going to publish any more of the other ones when this series is done.
I feel bad for Prince of Tennis fans who would like to see the sequel, though, 'cus it doesn't look like Viz will bring it over here. And they should've at least given Shaman King fans both endings on the last volume. Though, obviously, things could change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6