• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadman Wonderland (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland

(For those watching for the first time with the Toonami broadcast, forward to here.)

Well I saw episode 1 and was pretty satisfied with it. They added in some extra stuff but it looks like it;ll be following the manga;s plot line. It also looks like it may actually cover a couple of chapters in an episode. Weird considering the manga is a monthly series but I guess it works so far. Romi Park's Ganta was pretty spot on and I like Shiro's seiyuu though it;s harder to pin down who should voice her when the show eventually gets a US release. My only complaint is that they didn;t have the titles for the manga chapters for the anime. Those were a bit cooler than the episode titles the anime is using, but other than that not bad.

The preview for the next episode made me smile a bit since they spoiler[appear to be covering the race and therefore won't be ruling Azami out of the plotline like I feared.]

Now if we can get a Season 2 confirmation than all shall be right with the world. Very Happy

[EDIT: Added link. - Key]
opn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
his is where to discuss deadman wonderland.first off the ending confirmed it wont be 12 episodes since it foreshadowed alot of major events.the animation was epic as expected.the ost was freaken amazing and makes me more excite for future episodes.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm so done with PVs. Deadman Wonderland's PV pretty much spoiled the entire episode.
Either way, this anime has what it takes to become a favorite, but I don't think I'll have a solid opinion until the next episode... freaking PVs.

And this season's openings keep disappointing me. Don't think I've seen it this episode, but the PV made it clear.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Despite the series being a shounen (kind of obvious), I'm liking the... rougher treatment the characters are getting. And those riffs in the soundtrack. Though it could bore me after a while. Kana sounds way, waaay too much like Nessa in there, and that was one of the reasons I didn't continue Fractale.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, so I'm pretty much in love with Captain Makina. I love her cruel attitude and mighty G cup boobs of power. The rest of the show is pretty good too, but I'm all about Miss Makina.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting distracted by the prominence and thickness of Shiro's eyelashes? I mean, its like she's got mustaches growing off her eyelids.....
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what to think of this one at the moment. The introduction of the episode looked rushed with what led up to Ganta's arrest to the twisted theme park and a bit of the cruelty the kid goes through seems forced. It's like the series wasn't sure how to put Ganta into Deadman Wonderland. So they tossed a small bone and ran with it, despite how contrived it seems. I'm all for grittiness and intense violence in a series like Black Lagoon. But you need to have meat to go along with it or else I won't be chewing on it for long. I'll give this a few episodes to see if it will be worth my time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute - you're watching a series about a prison that is also an amusement park where the public pays money to see various convict versus convict competitions; where inmates have to eat a certain kind of candy every three days or die; where one of the wardens is straight out of Ilsa, SS She-Wolf; where one of the main secondary characters is an albino chick wearing a skintight jumpsuit with boxing gloves...

...and you're worried about the contrivance of how the protagonist gets sent there? Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and you're worried about the contrivance of how the protagonist gets sent there?

You might find it laughable. But this series doesn't give you any breathing room with feeling anything for the circumstances of Ganta. Just a measly 3-4 minutes before Red Man enters the scene and lays waste to Ganta's classmates and things increasingly getting worst for the kid very quickly. The flashback he has about his classmates once at the theme park made me care less for the kid because there's hardly any time to even know what sort of life he had before being tossed into his predicament, much less the stages of which when he is hospitalized, arrested and dealing with his speedy trial. This left me with the impression that the series quickly wanted to get into shocking and awing its audience without going into the reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. Personally, I don't need much of a song and dance to get me to empathize with the kid. Personally, I'm more interested in Captain Makina's backstory. And by backstory, of course, I mean sex scenes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I don't get that. To me, they did a fantastic job making you sympathetic. I liked how they showed you a bit of all of them hanging out in class. They really emphasized that they have these almost stereotypical happy little anime school lives. Then of course, they completely turn that on their head. Then the way they handle his meltdown at the sentencing is very nice. Plus, finally there's the flashback in the prison. It's not just a flashback though, then there's Ganta's conversation with Shiro where they have the nice little double meaning dialogue where he's insisting that he wouldn't kill a friend (obviously thinking of his crime). Quite well done.

So actually, I think making Ganta sympathetic is one of the things the show put a heavy focus on and did quite well. If anything, it did it at the expense of giving us a bit more background on how exactly the prison works. I would have liked to see that made a wee bit more clear.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Good first episode. I wanted blood and violence and that's exactly what I got. I personally found it interesting that they jumped right into the main plot without setting up backgrounds for everybody. Other than our main character, spoiler[there wouldn't have been a point to give us the background for anybody else at school since they all wound up dead 4 minutes into the series.]

I believe Vegas has the odds at 3-1 we see the oh so fine Captain Makina break out whips, chains, and a domnatrix outfit on somebody here pretty soon.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
The pacing of the first episode was true to the manga. They "rushed" to getting Ganta into the prison because the stuff before that doesn't really matter much. If they hadn't then the first episode would have been a bit light and they may have lost viewers before the second.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Screw what I said about the opening. Good opening and ending. Second episode also showed that the pace is also pretty good. The set-up already had an automatic approval stamp, and so do the characters now.

Ya, no doubt, this is gonna be awesome.

That mastermind fella reminds me of the one from Phantom Requiem.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Second episode was goos but I;m worried about the possibility of a second season since they seem to have effectively written Azami out of the plot. I suppose she can always be thrown back in if a season 2 does come, but the impact won;t be as good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11