• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekend Wrapup: 10/Apr - 17/Apr

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
OMG!!!! Someone finally licensed Battle Royale, about bloody time. I mean, the second movie is kinda stupid (spoiler[ it kinda goes against the point to rig your own forces to explode if their partner dies, that just depletes your recourses...duh]) but the first one was awesome (still not as good as the book though)/
madmangohan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
It's been licensed and released here before years ago. Though many will say that release wasn't the best (the first movie for instance was hard subbed).
Though Madman have yet to spill any details, I would at least think that would be fixed. Whether they get the full uncut of just another cut version (as most are) will be interesting.
georgiab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reading the wrap-up! Madman specified that the films will be uncut in their original announcement.
Ringking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
It's been licensed and released here before years ago. Though many will say that release wasn't the best (the first movie for instance was hard subbed).
Though Madman have yet to spill any details, I would at least think that would be fixed. Whether they get the full uncut of just another cut version (as most are) will be interesting.

Serious? I've looked for it in the Asian cinema section of every movie store/electronics store I've ever been in and never seen it.
ShinoMatrix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
I remember getting rentals of Battle Royale, so I reckon at one point or another it was sold.
billk1928

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Got K-ON! Blu-Ray Volume 1 on the 16th. Not sure why it arrived so soon, since the official US website says the 26th...

Anyway, picture quality is very good. Voice actors are okay, for the most part, but why Stephanie Sheh is going for a cutesy voice for Yui Hirasawa, is beyond me. I was hoping for a bit more nasal and raspy tone, since that quality is the "mark" of the character, even when singing.

The voices are well-differentiated, so there's no mistaking any character. But with Yui's voice only minimally like what I like, I may end up preferring to listen to the Japanese voice actors instead. From what was mentioned in the interview, the singing will be done phonetically by the North American voice actors. It's a shame I have to wait until Volume 2 to hear how this works out. Until then, I'll wait on my decision about which voices I'd prefer.

Subtitling is adequate, and interpretations of the opening and closing songs are reasonably accurate.

The interview is interesting at first, but then whoever posed the questions didn't bother adjusting to Ms. Sheh's earlier responses, making most later queries sound stupid or repetitive. Very poorly prepared and executed, although none of it was Ms. Sheh's fault.

One thing that really steams me, is that only four episodes are on the disc. Do TBS and Bandai mean to tell me that four episodes in 1080p HD, subtitles, the Japanese and English dubbed voice tracks, an interview with Stephanie Sheh, and some trailers take up an entire single layer of 25 GB of space?

Yeah, right...
madmangohan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Serious? I've looked for it in the Asian cinema section of every movie store/electronics store I've ever been in and never seen it.

That's likely because they came out in 2000 and 2004.
Although I swear at least the second movie lingered on shelves til '06
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1