• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouge Mono (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
Hyouge Mono (TV)

Summary: In the age of civil war, when the shadow of Nobunaga Oda was still cast over the land, the warlord Furuta Sasuke lost his soul to the tea ceremony. While war shook the world around him, he faced his own conflict between his desire for promotion and his love for his art.
Length: 39 episodes (planned)

As of episode 1 at least, the above summary tells half the story. Looks at the tags, and you'll discover that it's a comedy, so no, this isn't House of Five Leaves S2.
I think it's quite clever, really, despite using some very typical comedy tropes. It's got some weirdness going on, such as Nobunaga's costumes (just look at the preview for ep2), but at the same time it manages to incorporate real historical facts into the whole thing. So, this is not Five Leaves, but it is also not Sengoku Basara Gag version, or Gintama. The main comedy comes mostly from the main character, and I can see how it would tick someone off, but I quite like it. Besides, a series on the Sengoku era is generally welcome.
Also, it's a comedy and all, but it's only funny spoiler[until someone gets killed. You don't mess around with Oda.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
I'm settling in to enjoy an intelligent story that is happy to take its time in the telling. Sasuke Furuta comes across as an eccentric yet wily fox.

Note also my new avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
This was the one series I was interested in this season and I was afraid that no one would pick it up... So it makes me very happy to see it. 39 eps is quite a lot. I have not read the manga, so I dont know whether it will not be too much for the theme it contains, but judging after the first episode, chances are I will stick to it. It's not quite what I expected, but it will be interesting to see how it will play out.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
So far manga wasn't scanlated. If you are lucky you can find first two chapters floating in Net.
I'm glad that it was picked up and now we must pray for patience of fansubbers to deal with the fact that this anime doesn't get the attention it deserves.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I was prepared for no replies at all, since it seems to be the kind of series that slips under everyone's radar (including my own most of the time).
I'm quite interested as to whether this will take us through his entire life, or just his early years with Oda. Also looking forward to seeing his family, their interactions with him have got to be pretty funny Razz
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
i'm not feeling it based on the description. This type of anime, I need atleast some romance in it.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The protagonist is one of the most interesting this season for sure. I'll keep watching for sure.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i'm not feeling it based on the description. This type of anime, I need atleast some romance in it.

Information for person who saw ep2
spoiler[ characters have sex]!!! Very Happy
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
I keep on getting lost with all the names. Who is with whom and against whom.

But the series is really extraordinary. A surprising combination of serious and hmhm... not serious. So out hero definitely has guts to become a warrior, until spoiler[he sees a magnificent cup] Smile
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode two. Sasuke Furuta is a fascinating character: he's extraordinarily resourceful yet susceptible to his compulsions.

There's a couple of things I didn't understand, both occuring during his confrontation with his brother-in-law. The first may be answered in the next episode.

1. spoiler[Did he kill his wife? I think he spared her, but it's not entirely clear.]

2. spoiler[In that scene, what is the white liquid that is spilled on the floor? I was expecting blood. Is it semen?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I assumed spoiler[he did not kill the wife, he only cut away some of her hair. The brother stopped him a second before and the brother looked a bit relieved.. ], I rewatched that part of the episode, and while the conversation looks a bit like a farewell, I would bet on the fact that spoiler[she is alive].

That was my impression though, maybe I'm wrong?

As for the mysterious liquid, I dont know what it was...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 3.

Oda is a deamon. The 'terrace' scene was really impressive.

And Sasuke shows such a range of faces in this one episode I really can't help but liking him. From drooling over yet another pefect container to being all serious and standing up for Nobunaga during the banquet.

I wish I had a better memory for the names, who is who and who conspires against whom... I guess at one point it will all become clearer.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
...I wish I had a better memory for the names, who is who and who conspires against whom... I guess at one point it will all become clearer.

I have the same problem.

Sasuke Furuta has got the potential to be one of the most memorable characters in anime.

I also like the way the tea ceremonies aren't so much a metaphor for what's going on between the scheming powermongers but, rather, they're actually pivotal moments in the various schemes.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first two episodes of this and I will continue with it. Honestly the best thing about this show is the fact that all the characters are adults, that is somewhat rare and refreshing these days.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:53 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the top shows for me so far. That scene with his wife and the kettle, hahah. At least they're showing a more or less mature approach. And the aesthetics of it all, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4