• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki DVDs in February?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
The news dind't surprise me. Disney will not allow Ghibli products to interfere Disney's own products' sales during holiday season.

Don't they even have an explanation for the delay? (sigh)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
Impatience aside, I'm glad to have a date to look forward to.
Goshin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Impatience aside, I'm glad to have a date to look forward to.
We did have a date to look forward to. August 31st.

Who knows...the date could get pushed back again.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
Just chalk it up to being Disney's arrogance as a company. That's why they lost Pixar. At least Eisner is stepping down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The news dind't surprise me. Disney will not allow Ghibli products to interfere Disney's own products' sales during holiday season.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, given that Bambi is being released on DVD for the first time a week after the Ghibli movies.

Actually, looking at their release schedule on UltimateDisney, I think I've figured it out. Their holiday releases seem to be rereleases ('Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary', 'The Lion King Trilogy', 'Pirates of the Caribbean Collectors Edition'), so they don't want anyone to be giving their loved ones any DVDs that they don't already have. After all, anyone interested in Ghibli or Walt-era Disney will be buying Nausicaa and Bambi anyways. Money-grubbing bastards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SOSAnimeBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute....I've seen Totoro etc DVDs at walmart etc already. If Disney's going to release the DVDs for these series in January, then what company did the DVDs that are on sale in AMerican stores right now??? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Not Much To Say

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
SOSAnimeBoy wrote:
Wait a minute....I've seen Totoro etc DVDs at walmart etc already. If Disney's going to release the DVDs for these series in January, then what company did the DVDs that are on sale in AMerican stores right now??? Shocked

20th Century Fox has been distributing them...they owned the rights until this year, but only for a fullscreen and dubbed presentation.

I wonder what this means for the three Isao Takahata films that were supposed to be released in November? I've wanted to see Only Yesterday more than any other animated film. I hope they'll come out a few months later.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
SOSAnimeBoy wrote:

I believe it was fox. It didn't have the original japanese audio.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli DVDs don't sell even 1/10th of the numbers that most home-grown Disney productions do. If anything, it's better to release them at a time of year when they won't have to compete for limited shelf space on the "Hot New Releases" display with Shrek 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Plus, Disney's DVD replication plants probably already have a full slate of higher-priority items such as those mentioned before in this thread to produce before Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluechibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The deal was made in 1996, it took 8 years in the UK to get Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away over the last few years but they were made after 1996.

Why is it taking so long and why are the dates being pushed back again, like the guy said replying to this "Impatience aside, I'm glad to have a date to look forward to." we had a date already and waited eagerly but it looks like we'll have to wait another 1/2 year. Unless of course they push that date back too.

To be honest even when the DVDs are released it's a bit of disappointment because they're cr*p (are we allowed to say that on here?) the UK version has less extras than the US version. The subtitles seem to be dubtitles, the extras - "what extras?" (excluding some storyboard) there's nothing that comes free in the DVD case, the menus on the DVD are cheaply made and static, the packaging is very cheap and basic. I dont think I saw any advertising at all apart from a website that was poorly made and run by some guys I use to know years ago. Disney might dub it with big names but apart from that they are the worst releases of any anime. ADV would do a far better job releasing the movies and I'm sure they wouldnt have taken over 8 years to do it. Just to cover myself I don't know why it's taken them so long maybe studio ghibli themselves were the reason why it's taken so long for us to get the DVDs or perhaps maybe it is all the fault of Disney. Either way I'm just very disappointed which is to be expected Smile

/rant
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:52 am Reply with quote
According to one optimistic theory, Disney wanted to delay the release of the DVDs so it could put trailers of "Howl's Moving Castle" on them and release them simultaneously with that movie.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:24 am Reply with quote
To be honest even when the DVDs are released it's a bit of disappointment because they're cr*p (are we allowed to say that on here?) the UK version has less extras than the US version. The subtitles seem to be dubtitles, the extras - "what extras?" (excluding some storyboard) there's nothing that comes free in the DVD case, the menus on the DVD are cheaply made and static, the packaging is very cheap and basic. I don't think I saw any advertising at all apart from a website that was poorly made and run by some guys I use to know years ago. Disney might dub it with big names but apart from that they are the worst releases of any anime. ADV would do a far better job releasing the movies and I'm sure they wouldnt have taken over 8 years to do it. Just to cover myself I don't know why it's taken them so long maybe studio ghibli themselves were the reason why it's taken so long for us to get the DVDs or perhaps maybe it is all the fault of Disney. Either way I'm just very disappointed which is to be expected
Quote:

I know how you feel man. I was pretty dissappointed after waiting years to see Laputa to find out that the DVD had poorly translated subtitles, poorly done extras, and mediocore dub. But believe me, there are worse DVD's out there (if you've ever purchased a DVD from U.S. Manga Corps). They did a damn good job on Spirited Away (minus a minor language flaw) and I'm sure that they wouldn't make us wait this long for nothing.....much.
Kimura Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
The deal was made in 1996, it took 8 years in the UK to get Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away over the last few years but they were made after 1996.

Why is it taking so long and why are the dates being pushed back again, like the guy said replying to this "Impatience aside, I'm glad to have a date to look forward to." we had a date already and waited eagerly but it looks like we'll have to wait another 1/2 year. Unless of course they push that date back too.

To be honest even when the DVDs are released it's a bit of disappointment because they're cr*p (are we allowed to say that on here?) the UK version has less extras than the US version. The subtitles seem to be dubtitles, the extras - "what extras?" (excluding some storyboard) there's nothing that comes free in the DVD case, the menus on the DVD are cheaply made and static, the packaging is very cheap and basic. I don't think I saw any advertising at all apart from a website that was poorly made and run by some guys I use to know years ago. Disney might dub it with big names but apart from that they are the worst releases of any anime. ADV would do a far better job releasing the movies and I'm sure they wouldnt have taken over 8 years to do it. Just to cover myself I don't know why it's taken them so long maybe studio ghibli themselves were the reason why it's taken so long for us to get the DVDs or perhaps maybe it is all the fault of Disney. Either way I'm just very disappointed which is to be expected Smile

/rant

Yeah i know how you feel m8. I bought 'Princess Mononoke'. Although the voice overs are not that bad (that because they have a british actress in it) the things that really piss me off is the dubtitles for japanese audio. I mean my bootleg copy of all studio ghibli films did much better job than the american counterpart.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:24 am Reply with quote
Suggestion: if you live in the UK, and can play region 4 DVDs, I would whole-heartedly reccomend importing the Madman (australian) versions of Kiki's and Laputa, aswell as other Ghibli films coming out (the MM version of Spirited Away had DTS for the Japanese track, bling bling Wink ). They're packaged a lot nicer than the Disney releases, have proper subtitles (and dubtitles too, so you win on both accounts), better logo's, and Laputa actually keeps the word Laputa in the title (no spanish minority to offend). They're not so hot if you're a major video-phile (and even then, Madman has tried it's best with these), but overall they are very satisfying (apparently, the R4 will use the R2UK video, but probabaly only maybe.. something)
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
They did a damn good job on Spirited Away (minus a minor language flaw) and I'm sure that they wouldn't make us wait this long for nothing.....much.

Eh? What language flaw is that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2