• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love Hina, ComiPo! Creators Discuss Future of Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
hm, interesting conversation from Ken Akamatsu on the future of manga. I like to hear more on him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CliffSaos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
# Akumatsu claims that editors at magazines running major titles are too fearful of making corrections to those major titles. As a result, the editors are not developing the necessary skills to guide new artists.
# Akumatsu said that he has “no intention in betraying” his print publisher Kodansha by releasing a new manga series through his J-Comi service.

Akamatsu

Wink

And he's a visionary.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The industry failing to guide the mangaka is why we have problems like the Champion Red manga.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
At some point in any creative endeavour involving artists and editors, the artist can supercede the editor and render them irrelevant just by sheer success and rep alone.

This is not altogether dissimilar to successful novelists and their editors, for instance.

This is why JK Rowling's earlier books in the Harry Potter series were much more compact and muscular than the fatty, pompous, long winded books that came out after the series had hit it big with the mainstream. The writer had effectively become too big for the editors to handle.

*ducks*

Wink
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
At some point in any creative endeavour involving artists and editors, the artist can supercede the editor and render them irrelevant just by sheer success and rep alone.

This is not altogether dissimilar to successful novelists and their editors, for instance.

This is why JK Rowling's earlier books in the Harry Potter series were much more compact and muscular than the fatty, pompous, long winded books that came out after the series had hit it big with the mainstream. The writer had effectively become too big for the editors to handle.

*ducks*

Wink

No, it's completely true. Editors need to not be scared to rein in their proteges...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1