• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Good first episode. With me, you can't go wrong with strong, fierce chicks with long hair who secretly like cute things. Humour was good and the pace was much better than some of the last season's.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quite funny that the second season is better yet less discussed. Anyway, really enjoying the new demon. Something about this character design is simply too sweet. Also, interesting episode... that guy is an amusing protagonist after all.
Though I'd rather have them stick with possessed girls... so I'm guessing this is only an exception, otherwise it'd make no sense to have that protagonist.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
well least this new arc explains why there are only 3 girls this season.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'm digging the and current arc. Its nice to get a little more info on how the soul hunting stuff actually is supposed to work, and its good to see another demon like Elsie.
silencer226

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
I'm finding this season a lot more entertaining than the first, which I dropped towards the end but read scanlations and then got hooked and now I want the manga licensed... Random thought: Haqua is such a tsundere, and even though I already know what's going to happen the anime still entertains me which is good.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
Its no secret im totally in love with this show the whole concept is just amazing.

I'm loving the second season as well. Haqua is kinda fascinating but i hope sh doesn't steal Elsies' screen time. Its funny though this is probably the most repetitive anime plot wise (so far atleast) and yet its still so entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
silencer226 wrote:
and even though I already know what's going to happen the anime still entertains me which is good.

it's a pity that anime only viewers will never experience Yui! Especially her later version which is currently making things pretty damn interesting lol.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I like Section Chief, "Now you'll never get to shake my hand." My only complaint about the season is that so far the Divine One's milfy mom hasn't gotten any screen time.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
silencer226 wrote:
and even though I already know what's going to happen the anime still entertains me which is good.

it's a pity that anime only viewers will never experience Yui! Especially her later version which is currently making things pretty damn interesting lol.

Avoiding spoilers if possible, why won't we see her? I assume they intend to adapt the entire manga eventually, through additional seasons. Is she a character they cut out or something?

Regarding the series, I've been rather enjoying the second season so far. My biggest fear for the series was that the format would get too repetitive and stale, but the second season seems to be making some changes.

The first two-episode arc was a bit different from the standard "conquest" format, what with the focus on the weird split that she had, and now we've gotten a new story arc that completely eschews the traditional format. Haqua looks to be an interesting new character, her interactions with Keima were quite funny, and I like how we're getting some more backstory and world building, with the explanation as to why the "demons" shown so far haven't been particularly demonic.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Westlo wrote:
silencer226 wrote:

Avoiding spoilers if possible, why won't we see her? I assume they intend to adapt the entire manga eventually, through additional seasons. Is she a character they cut out or something?.

This is the best selling series by Manglobe in Japan but it's barely profitable. There's no reason to make a 3rd and a 4th and a 5th and eventually 10th (the way the manga is going it will be that long...)

I think this will definitely be the last tv series we get, we might get some OVA episodes included with the manga similar to Negima though.

Season 1 covered upto Chapter 17 of the manga.

Season 2 if it ends with the girl from the original promo will finish @ chapter 46 and include a lot of skipped "break/fun" chapters that aren't focused on captures.

The manga is currently up to chapter 140, Yui Goidou's arc begins @ 81 and goes to 89. Also the most important arc for the series in Tenri's is chapter 57.

Personally I would've shortened the Kanon and Shiori arcs by 1 and had the Haqua arc finish s1. Not only does it provide more information for the story but having argubly the msot popular character in the series (haqua) in the first season is a smart thing to do....

Than I would've done all I could to have Tenri's arc finish the second season.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Westlo wrote:
silencer226 wrote:

Avoiding spoilers if possible, why won't we see her? I assume they intend to adapt the entire manga eventually, through additional seasons. Is she a character they cut out or something?.

This is the best selling series by Manglobe in Japan but it's barely profitable. There's no reason to make a 3rd and a 4th and a 5th and eventually 10th (the way the manga is going it will be that long...)

I think this will definitely be the last tv series we get, we might get some OVA episodes included with the manga similar to Negima though.

Wait, it's their best selling series but it's barely profitable? If the rest of Manglobe's series are doing so poorly, how does the company even exist still?

And it's their best selling series and is making them money, but there's no reason to continue?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Westlo wrote:
silencer226 wrote:

Wait, it's their best selling series but it's barely profitable? If the rest of Manglobe's series are doing so poorly, how does the company even exist still?

And it's their best selling series and is making them money, but there's no reason to continue?

Well here's the official DVDs sales of the anime's they made:

Sales: No. of volumes: Anime's name
3,097 3 The World God Only Knows
2,218 13 Samurai Champloo
2,146 6 The Sacred Blacksmith
1,998 9 Ergo Proxy

As you can see, despite only half of the 1st season DVDs being on sale, TWGOK has the most DVDs Manglobe has ever sold which by their standards is a hit.

With these these numbers, i believe the anime will have future seasons. Of course with Manglobe animating Deadman Wonderland and the Hayate the Combat Butler movie, the studio is here to stay as long as their other franchise's remain profitable.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I've really been impressed with this season. In the sense that my expectations weren't too high and they are at least exceeding them. The jokes are broader and not so narrowly focused on game-otaku humor and the challenges have now revealed what seem to be three significant deviations from the pattern of the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
This episode was simply awesome. I'm impressed with this season, and this anime jumped 2 grades compared to the previous.

Wonder what's up with this change.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Wonder what's up with this change.

Well the mangaka has to play it safe in the beginning because the risk of being canceled if the readerbase doesn't like you is very high. Once you're established you can start to go out on a limb more.. to show that example to an extreme you can look @ how Negima and Hayate (sometimes) now barely resemble the manga they started out as.

Such a shame the anime won't even get to the meat of things as well as not reaching some of the better captues.. To quote Kurogane's blog of the latest manga chapter... Man, TWGOK always gets extremely fun whenever Yui’s around. It’s a [expletive] tragedy the anime won’t reach her arc at all. A real [expletive] tragedy I say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 24