• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The poll is pretty shocking considering that dubs is winning so far with a 100 votes.

Don't forget, though, that we've recently had problems with spambots going into poll threads and mass-selecting the first option. Just about all of the polls created over the last couple of months are unreliable because option one is vastly over-inflated in all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
The poll is pretty shocking considering that dubs is winning so far with a 100 votes.

Don't forget, though, that we've recently had problems with spambots going into poll threads and mass-selecting the first option. Just about all of the polls created over the last couple of months are unreliable because option one is vastly over-inflated in all of them.

Even so, more people perferring dubs over subs shouldn't be to surprising.
frankplastictrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Subs for me. In fact I honestly can't remember the last time I watched anything dubbed...it might be pushing ten years or so. There have only been two dubs that I thought were good (I was forced to watch them because my friend only had the dub VHS tapes) and that was El Hazard and Evangelion.

Jinnai's English voice actor on El Hazard was so much superior to his Japanese counterpart.

Looking back, I'm not sure if the Evangelion dub was really even that good (especially Asuka) but I watched those tapes so many times in high school, that I relate more to the dub. The voice actors for Gendo and Misato weren't half, but the rest of the cast wasn't anything too special.
Veloro

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Subs are fine and all i really dont mind readin and sub always releases before dubs so i can stay up to date with the shows that way but I like dub more because i can pay attention to both what they are saying and all the action and whatever going on in the show
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Dubs every time for me.

My reasons are fairly simple. I like hearing the dialogue in my native language. I also think that English VA's do just as good a job as Japanese VA's. There will always be some performances that are better than others in each dub or sub. For instance, I prefer Maaya Sakamoto as Ciel in Black Butler over Brina Palencia in Funimation's dub. And for Vampire Knight, I don't care for either voice actress that plays Yuki Cross (that character annoys me anyway). And there are a couple of shows where I disliked the entire dub (HunterxHunter comes to mind). But its all a matter of personal taste in the end, because I don't believe one medium is superior to the other.
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If I have a choice, I always choose dubs though something being sub only doesn't bother me. I have glasses but don't always wear them so if I have to read the subs I usually end up with the beginnings of a headache. Another reason I prefer dubs is that I can sit and watch the show without having to try to read at the same time. I can be pretty focused, and I'll end up either reading the subtitles or watching the show and will miss things.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
And for Vampire Knight, I don't care for either voice actress that plays Yuki Cross (that character annoys me anyway). .

You don't like Horie Yui or just the role of Yuki Cross? Personally I've never seen Vampire Knight so I can't realy comment, but Horie Yui is one of my favorites Smile. Granted not every role she does may be considered a voicing work of art, depending on what it is.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
And for Vampire Knight, I don't care for either voice actress that plays Yuki Cross (that character annoys me anyway).

You don't like Horie Yui or just the role of Yuki Cross? Personally I've never seen Vampire Knight so I can't realy comment, but Horie Yui is one of my favorites Smile. Granted not every role she does may be considered a voicing work of art, depending on what it is.

To be honest, its really the character of Yuki Cross that annoys me the most. I don't hate the anime, or either Yui Horie or Mela Lee, (I'm sure they've done better in other shows). However, because neither voice actress could put much into the character, or pull much out of their performances, I consider that poor acting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Sub for me, no contest. Dragon Ball Z is probably the only anime I'd choose dub over sub. After watching animes a long time with subs and japanese audio, trying to watch something dubbed just sounds completely wrong. English just seems completely out of place in animes, particulary with cheesy lines. Although subs have their problems aswell, mainly because of some very overused words like "idiot" and all the nonsense about the "world" (sekai?).
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Dub's, though I have warmed up to subtitles in recent years and there are some shows I can/will only watch sub'ed now (Evangelion for example).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I've always preferred to watch anime in my native English. It's partly a consequence of precedent; I was 'formally', in the sense of recognizing it as something distinct for the first time, introduced to anime by watching the English version of Project A-ko on The Sci-Fi Channel while home sick from elementary school and went on to watch their long one Saturday anime programming, which was all shown in English. I also find it more comfortable. I am not very visually adept. I often find tracking the action on the screen and reading subtitles awkward; forcing me to review certain scenes that I might have been too busy reading to interpret, or vice versa. I am also skeptical of my ability to interpret and react to the tonal cues of a foreign language. I am probably overestimating that, I damned near know that I am, but I nonetheless feel that my mother tongue will almost always be more evocative than one that I don't really understand.

I'm not averse to subtitles on principle; I was probably only eleven or twelve when I watched either The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or King of Hearts in French with English subtitles, a side effect of having something of a cinephile for a father, and eagerly watched The Seventh Seal in Swedish with English subtitles on Turner Classic Movies last year. I prefer to watch foreign live action films with subtitles, in part because of precedent and because the closer association between the movements of the mouths and the sounds made in live action makes foreign language dubbing more disconcerting, whereas all animation is in a certain sense dubbed. Besides, I also associate dubs of live action with bad, cheaply made films only enjoyable in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 sense of the the word.

My preference for dubs is not, then, an absolute rule. If the dub is very badly done, I can still happily change to watching it in Japanese with subtitles, as was prudent when I watched Crest of the Stars. I certainly wouldn't refuse to watch something good because it lacked an English dialogue track. I don't have a copy of Memories as a conversation piece. I would, however, decline to watch something of marginal interest to me if it were available only in Japanese with subtitles. I don't think that, even in the psychologically addled and weakened state that I was in at the time, I would have watched Lucy Star without the comfort of an English language version.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat May 14, 2011 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Muggie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs. I have noting against dubs, its just that I like to hear the original voices when I watch anime. I also love the way the Japanese language sounds.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what they say, to me the Funi dub of OP is one of the best dubs i've heard in a while. It's a shame people still won't give it a chance considering it once belonged to 4Crap
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
Dubs right here. I've become a big fan of the dub actors and actresses, especially the ladies. I believe they do a great job of not only translating, but emoting. A lot of times a purchase that I'm interested in making gets put over the top depending on who is doing the dubbing. My favs include Jamie Marchi, Clarine Harp, Monica Rial, Luci Christian, Michelle Ruff, Carrie Savage, and Colleen Clinkenbeard.
bapplef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Jan wrote:
Also, how come there is no "Both" option? Maybe some people like watching dubs with subtitles on? Laughing

Deaf people, for example.

That is unusual. I suppose if a hearing person was watching it with a deaf person...

Last edited by bapplef on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15