• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tsukihime 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is that I agree with it since it does get a bit confusing and boring in the beginning. But wait for the later episodes; it WILL get better. Very Happy
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I certainly enjoyed it.I for one would recommend it for fans of both Vampire Princess Miyu and Nightwalker (such as myself.).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
An accurate review. I had to force myself to watch it, but it gets alot better towards the end.
gnollman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
Agreed. This show is painfully slow to start, but once it does it gets a heckuva lot better.

Anyone played that Melty Blood game?
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:41 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:

Yessir. I've played both Melty Blood and MB ReACT in Versus mode (can't read enough kanji to do the story mode yet), and I find them both to be fine fighting games. Some of the combo moves are pretty sweet.

Justin Freeman wrote:
In visual novels, nearly all of the information regarding the narrative or the setting comes from speaking with other characters. It is a limitation of the genre...This doesn’t seem like it would translate very well to the pacing of an animated show...

Now this is an important point; one which I'd not thought of before. What with the recent glut of visual novels being turned into anime--Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Hani Hani Operation Sanctuary and Wind, all of which are hentai games--it's interesting to see how they get around the fact that sex usually drives the stories forward. Some are successful (Kiminozo, Wind) and tell a nice romance story, some are not (Hani Hani) and wind up feeling forced and cliched.

And why do almost all of these shows involve someone with amnesia? I can't figure that one out.

Last edited by Iron Chef on Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:55 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that Visual Novels and Dating Sims are always heaped together outside of Japan. They are very different from each other. It's like saying FPS games and shoot-em-ups are the same, because both involve shooting stuff. Tsukihime started out as a Visual Novel, let there be no confusion Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that Visual Novels and Dating Sims are always heaped together outside of Japan. They are very different from each other. It's like saying FPS games and shoot-em-ups are the same, because both involve shooting stuff. Tsukihime started out as a Visual Novel, let there be no confusion Wink

Couldn't the argument be made that "visual novel" is just another word for dating sim though? I mean, there's probably fewer choices in a "novel", but all you do in dating sims is watch dialog scroll while images fade in and out and eventually it lets you select "put it in". Sometimes there's a stupid arcade minigame or something, but that's it. Is there something I don't know?

Also FPS games could pretty easily be called "shoot-em-ups", I think. Exclamation
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that the game that Tsukihime is 10000000000X better than the anime. The game has more depth than LOTR and it is , IMO, the best visual novel ever. The anime left a lot of things out that makes it feel like something is missing. Oh well, just play the game instead. You too, Zac.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:

Goodness. I think that Melty Blood ReACT is my favorite 2d fighter that I've ever played. It's decently easy to pick up the fighting system, but quite hard to master. Ciel and Arcuied are a joy to play as. The movements are so fluid; to play as them provides a sense of pleasure and satisfaction I haven't felt since Hotaru from Garou:MOTW. Some of the combos you can pull off are wickedly satisfying. The game is just incredible. I definently need to buy it. Melty Blood was my introduction to the world of Tsukihime.

Rah-Rah wrote:
Yeah, that the game that Tsukihime is 10000000000X better than the anime. The game has more depth than LOTR and it is , IMO, the best visual novel ever. The anime left a lot of things out that makes it feel like something is missing. Oh well, just play the game instead. You too, Zac.

Dude. I think you just scared alot of potential people away from buying it. =/

Not to mention that the original Tsukihime is absurdly rare, and chances of obtaining a copy aren't very high. =/
---------

I plan on stating my opinion on the anime and review after I watch it (hopefully this week ><). But I so far think that the review looks pretty nice and fair. Good job.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ultrabot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Rah-Rah wrote:
The anime left a lot of things out that makes it feel like something is missing.

which should have been incentive enough to make the series much longer; especially since theres just about no chance that the game will be translated.

And about the dub, does anyone besides me get slightly irked when japanese honorifics ("-sempai" for example) are brought into the english script? They're really not necessary are they?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
ultrabot wrote:
Rah-Rah wrote:
The anime left a lot of things out that makes it feel like something is missing.

which should have been incentive enough to make the series much longer; especially since theres just about no chance that the game will be translated.

And about the dub, does anyone besides me get slightly irked when japanese honorifics ("-sempai" for example) are brought into the english script? They're really not necessary are they?

Didn't Bang Zoom! Entertainment dub this though? They usually "translate" some of the honorifics in their scripts.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
ultrabot wrote:

Wow, this is a bit unusual; normally the complaints are about honorifics being lost in the translationi. . .

Anyway, on the whole, I have to substantively disagree with Mr. Freeman's evaluation of the first volume. I also did a review on it, and had an entirely different reaction; I found the foundations of the story laid in the first volume to be intriguing enough that I eagerly await more (B+/A- ratings overall) - and no, I haven't seen the rest of the series yet. I did not know that Tsukihime had been derived from a dating sim at the time that I reviewed it, so perhaps that colored Mr. Freeman's review. Even if it didn't, I guess these first few episodes just worked for me a lot better than they did for Mr. Freeman.

I also feel I should point out that Mr. Freeman has some distinct factual inaccuracies in the review which might be affecting his reaction. Aruceid is not, in fact, trying to kill other True Ancestors; as their princess, she has been charged with killing Dead Apostles, an entirely separate (and much more bloodthirsty) faction of second-generation vampires, who are apparently going around causing lots of trouble. Also, the series makes it clear early on that True Ancestors aren't really vampires, at least not traditional ones, and apparently distance themselves from the kind of mayhem that the Dead Apostles are going around inflicting.

And where is any mention of Shiki's special ability? Isn't that one of the key selling points of the series?

I do agree with the review's points about the mood of the series and humanity being a key factor in it, however. I also agree with the evaluation of Aruceid beyond what I mentioned above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Dude. I think you just scared alot of potential people away from buying it. =/

Not to mention that the original Tsukihime is absurdly rare, and chances of obtaining a copy aren't very high. =/
-

well if your looking for the legit copy yeah. ISO's on the otherhand are all over the place.

I really wish it wasnt the case I would like to own a copy of it.

sadly the Visual Game Genre is the states just isnt popular enough yeah sure theres G-collections,Jast,Peach Princess etc but I doubt they have the buying power to get Tsukihime Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Aruceid is not, in fact, trying to kill other True Ancestors; as their princess, she has been charged with killing Dead Apostles, an entirely separate (and much more bloodthirsty) faction of second-generation vampires

...really? I wrote this review about a month ago, but I seem to remember her specifically mentioning the True Ancestors as her prey. Are the Dead Apostles maybe grouped with the TA's? If not, are you sure all of that is mentioned in the first volume? If my facts are wrong I'd like to see if it's possible to edit the review after the fact in some capacity.

Key wrote:
And where is any mention of Shiki's special ability? Isn't that one of the key selling points of the series?

I wanted to mention his powers, but as the review went on I started to feel like it would come across as tacked on. The focus of my review was on the show's odd mood and structure, and I couldn't find a way to talk about his powers apart from simply saying "by the way, Shiki has these powers." Were I to review the second or third volumes, I'm sure the origin and purpose of his powers would be more integral to what was happening, and thus what I was writing about. We'll see I guess.
gnollman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
gnollman wrote:

Yessir. I've played both Melty Blood and MB ReACT in Versus mode (can't read enough kanji to do the story mode yet), and I find them both to be fine fighting games. Some of the combo moves are pretty sweet.

Yeah? Any idea where I can get it? I've had no luck looking for a legit copy....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2