• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay.... what exactly was wrong with Carl's reviews????

Seriously, ANN. I'm beginning to think that you guys are just bored! Laughing It's starting to get ridiculous!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Seriously, ANN. I'm beginning to think that you guys are just bored! Laughing It's starting to get ridiculous!

Aside from the fact that you're being obnoxious about this stuff, I'll clarify.

Everyone just finished up a nearly month-long preview guide during a time when new product was also not really flooding in. There's always a dearth of full-length reviews around preview time - everyone's working on that, for weeks at a time, and then they usually take a short break to decompress. Things are picking up now, we'll be back to normal capacity shortly.

Also, we like having second opinions on things. It rarely happens because we don't usually get multiple copies of something, but it's nice when it happens. I'm fine publishing multiple opinions of the same title.

Notably you didn't rush into the forums to complain when we had multiple reviews of both Evangelion movies.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from the fact that you're being obnoxious about this stuff, I'll clarify.

Everyone just finished up a nearly month-long preview guide during a time when new product was also not really flooding in. There's always a dearth of full-length reviews around preview time - everyone's working on that, for weeks at a time, and then they usually take a short break to decompress. Things are picking up now, we'll be back to normal capacity shortly.

Also, we like having second opinions on things. It rarely happens because we don't usually get multiple copies of something, but it's nice when it happens. I'm fine publishing multiple opinions of the same title.

Notably you didn't rush into the forums to complain when we had multiple reviews of both Evangelion movies.

Notably? Uh, that's because it's been nearly a year and a half since Justin's review, and who wouldn't want to hear news of a dub that shoulders such a monument? Bad comparison.
Now I'm all for 2nd opinions, but usually they don't happen in a 2-3 month period of time. And then... let's consider the title; does anyone want to learn further information that Carl's reviews didn't cover already(personally I found it puzzling that he appreciated V. Knight at all, considering he loves NANA)?

All in all, I get letting off steam from the previews, but don't you think a worthy re-release would've been FLCL? I mean it's 6 episodes?

Still, I'll apologize for my hastiness.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Aren't you guys required to review stuff if a company sends it, regardless if it's a rerelease or not?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Theron. That was a very good review. You're right about the dub not being the greatest. Zero sounds a bit too much like Ed from Fullmetal , but I'm glad VK got a dub so I won't complain too much.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Thank you, Theron. That was a very good review. You're right about the dub not being the greatest. Zero sounds a bit too much like Ed from Fullmetal , but I'm glad VK got a dub so I won't complain too much.

Which is why I don't complain about any dubs no matter wether it's good or medicore.

Also in my view the dub is preety solid. And those same people complaining about the miscasting here also said the same thing with ouran host high school and with the main cast in the beginning eps for Eureka 7. But I would agree that the main voice for Kaname was definitely miscasted big time at the beginning,but grew when Guilty came around.

So , this as well will grow on people too when guilty gets reviewed, so I'm not gonna spoil it for fellow dubbers like myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
I, too, thought the dub was serviceable. I must be one of the few people who thinks Ethan Murray had a fitting voice. His monotonous voice of omnipotence fit well with how ambiguous he was during the series.
If there was one part of Carl's reviews that I thought was off, it was how he didn't give the dub much credit. Good job giving Mela Lee some deserving kudos because Yui Horie is just sounding too redundant now; sounds too much like Orange-y from Kampfer, and comes close to mimicking that GR-----RATING happy-go-lucky pitch from Toradora.
If dubs do one thing for me, is that they can ground the characters a bit into more realistic than not.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, is this one of those moments Viz didn't give Bang Zoom! enough time and money to really polish this up above mediocrity?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Aren't you guys required to review stuff if a company sends it, regardless if it's a rerelease or not?

Nope. That would be a little unfair to a publication in a country with a free press, wouldn't it? "I sent you a copy of my product unsolicited, you are now required to cover it on your site!"

Theron obviously felt he had something to say about this particular release (Viz sent it directly to him rather than through me).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Laura Bailey and Wendee Lee credited on the same VA list???

This is a first for me. I never thought I'd hear the two together, given Wendee usually works through Bang Zoom! and Laura through FUNi.

This is... a bonus. Very Happy

I had seen this title pop up a few times, and I'll most likely buy it around the $20-$25 mark now that Key says it's okay.

It's so nice to have a personal reviewer on hand.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

This is a first for me. I never thought I'd hear the two together, given Wendee usually works through Bang Zoom! and Laura through FUNi.

This is... a bonus. Very Happy

Actually (and this a minor spoiler). . . spoiler[they voices two versions of the same character.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

They've also worked together on Bleach, Naruto, Monster, and, more noticeably, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
They've also worked together on ... Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan.

I had bought this series with a sub. Shortly thereafter, the dubbed version came out.

This will be a reason to double dip. Thanks for the info. Smile

@Key: how is that a spoiler?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Nope. That would be a little unfair to a publication in a country with a free press, wouldn't it? "I sent you a copy of my product unsolicited, you are now required to cover it on your site!"

Theron obviously felt he had something to say about this particular release (Viz sent it directly to him rather than through me).

Ah, okay. A little confused as to how the whole "who reviews what" works for you guys.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

They've also worked together on Bleach, Naruto, Monster, and, more noticeably, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan.

There's also Code Geass ( Lee as C.C's nun friend on Season 2 & Bailey as Kallen's stepmom and Kizuna of the four Holy swords) as well if you watched the Adult Swim broadcasts.

Maybe it's a union or non unrion thing i guess . I dont understand the VA labor laws for the anime industry , and to be frank , rather not. It's far too damn confusing especially when it comes to some of them using aliases,especially when it comes to series that have excessive fanservice or very questionable content like in Tengo Tenge ( which was also casted by Bang Zoom! VA ) and especially Queens Blade.

However as I posted on the review on Vol 3 , I did liked Lee's take as Shizuka Hio. DEFINITELY the main stand out performance for that Volume for sure. was kinda dissapointed Hio was killed off too quickly though.

Key wrote:
Actually (and this a minor spoiler). . . spoiler[ they voices two versions of the same character.]

SERIOUSLY???! How's that even possible? Cause I watched all the epsiodes of Vampire Knight as well and Guilty and did not hear anything different at all.

Then again I have absolutely no talent as a VA whatsoever , so i could not tell if I did, which is the main reason I'll never bad talk any english dubs whatsoever no matter how medicore their are unlike those anti dub haters that are all over the net,even here. ( except for those that are from 4kids & from Nelvana )

Last edited by jr240483 on Thu May 05, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2