• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your preferred DVD packaging?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your preferred DVD packaging?
Spambot am I.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Litebox
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
StackPak/Spindle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Thinpak
55%
 55%  [ 46 ]
Digipak
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Alphapak/Book format
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Funimation Viridian Set
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Singles
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 83

kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Again per classicalzawa's request, and to counter Least Favorite:

What is your favorite DVD packaging?

Examples:

LiteBox

StackPak

The LiteBox only overlaps two discs. The StackPak will stack all 6 discs on a spindle.

Thinpak.

Digipak.

Alphapak

I have no link to a Funimation Viridian Set because I couldn't find one (I'm assuming it's the one that used cardboard sleeves?), and I believe they've been discontinued.

I hope I didn't miss any, but it's entirely possible I did, hence "other."
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This one is harder, as I've been having a lot of bad luck with broken discs lately.

I would probably have to say Thinpak, followed by Alphapak, assuming undamaged cases. Thinpak allows more cover art to be used as opposed to just one. Also less shelf space over the old 6 singles in an artbox.

Alphapak with only one disc per "page" isn't bad. I've had pretty decent luck with them.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I kind of miss the days of the large chipboard box sets full of singles, but I don't miss shelling out the money required to complete the purchase.

Ultimately, I think I prefer Thinpaks. They're a more efficient use of shelf space and you still get a variety of covers and images contained within. Plus, companies look like they might start offering a higher quality thinpak boxset option. I already purchased Chrome Shelled Regios in that manner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I put other because there are two types of thinpak: single and double sided.

I prefer the latter as that's where my collection rests now. Smile

Though, I don't think the poll wanted specifics, right? Oops.

By the way: why is stack pack listed? Surely no one on this planet enjoys them as a favorite.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I think Shawne from TRSI actually said that he really liked them for some reason in the AoD forum.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I have no problems with stack packs either, but then again I don't keep my DVD in their cases I put them in sleeves for when I get around to using them.

I do like thinpacks and the single dvd cases, those two are my preferred ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I've developed a thing for Liteboxes and Thickpacks, you only have to open the thing once to get any disc you want! And they save on space big time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Although I like thins I voted for Digipacks. Something about the design and presentation of folding them out has always given me enjoyment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
My favorite are thinpaks. They are generally well made and they don't take up to much space and it helps that their prices usually aren't to bad.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Spindles can go burn in a fire. So annoying to reorder them any time you watch disc 2 out of 4 etc.

I forget what the packaging is when the discs are layed on top of each other, like a whole series in 1 dvd box size. Those im kinda careful about as well since it's easy for a disc to fall off and scratch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Darksorrow

The layered discs setup is the Lightbox. I find it acceptable but not preferable.

For me the thinpack cases in a heavy chipboard box is the best. Nozomi and the pre collapse ADV sets are the best example of this. this is the best combination of utility with area for box art. I don't really care if it is one or two discs in each thinpack case.

Funimation's thinpacks in thin cardboard are OK.

I dislike the Alphapack because I have always disliked the Alpha hub, I'm always afraid I will break the disc getting it out. The Funimation sets in cardboard pockets are, "not good" too easy to damage the discs.

Singles have had their day I hope. They should be limited to situations where you can get the entire show or series on one disc, they just take up too much space. I have been replacing them for a couple of years now.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Litebox- I like liteboxes when they don't overlap the discs and when they have a slipcover. The slipcover is a must, though, because it'll look like a single otherwise, and I hate the look of loose singles.

Stackpaks- can rot in hell

Thinpaks- These are very nice, but aren't my number one favorites. They're that nice little step between full blown art boxes and bricks. They're very nice and have that good ole art box feel, but are more space saving.

As for Funimation thinpaks like Suzuka or Birdy, those are nice too. I never understood the hate they got just because they aren't as nice as chipboard.

Alphapak- I am a little surprised people would prefer these. I have four (two Devil Hunter Yohko volumes, Magic User's Club, and Slayers OVAs) and I hate them. Like Alan45 brought up, the hubs are annoying as hell. Also, they're overly huge. My two volumes for Yohko take up the space of 4 singles, that's over kill. I also just hate the bulky feel of them.

Digipak- This. This is my preferred method of packaging...if done right. Deathnote, Shin Chan, and Oh My Goddess are good examples. They open up and there's only one disc per fold, so there's no overlap. Also, in the case of Deathnote and Shin Chan, they have slipcovers that, again, make them look nicer. However, Slayers (Funimation), Desert Punk, and Magic Knight Rayearth (remastered) are bad examples because they have overlapping discs. Like Spastic Minnow said above, there's just an odd kind of enjoyment I get when I slide on off the shelf and open it. Perhaps it's because it reminds me of a marvelous butterfly spreading it's wings, or maybe it's because I'm an odd duck, I don't know.

Basically, my rule of thumb is don't overlap your discs, because that's annoying as hell.

----------------------------------------

One you missed is steelbook. A lot of people love steelbooks, and while I too enjoy their basic design, my limited experience with Black Lagoon has shown me that they're annoying as hell because of...overlapping discs. Those hubs are a bitch as well.

You also missed basic bricks like the old Anime Legends Bandai used. I actually like those since they're the perfect combination of economical, durable and space saving. Their flaps are also really neat.

I also think tins might might be one, but they could fall under thinpaks or digipaks since those are what's usually in there. Jewel Cases fall under this as well since they're technically singles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@King of Harts

The Hubs you dislike in the Steelbook cases are by Scanavo. They can also be found in some overlapping disk cases and in old singles. They are a bear to get a disk off of and even if you press just right to pop the disk, you end up hurting your finger. I've bought whole boxes of DVD singles just to replace them. Unfortunately this is not possible in a steelbook case since the artwork is integral with the case.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
I really do like thinpaks. While I would prefer getting the artboxes and singles overall for most series (if offered), a lot of thinpak allow for that artbox look and feel, but sometimes for less. Nozomi's releases are nice examples of this (like Gakuen Alice), and the former ADV releases (like Pretear).

I think my second favorite would be the Alphapak, as long as there's only one or two pages. I know my boxsets of King of Bandit Jing, Nanaka 6/17, and Vampire Knight are all like this, which are 3-4 DVDs each with one page inside, but only takes up the space of one DVD case. Perfect for my cramped DVD shelf. Anime hyper
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
I picked the old standard - singles. Just the plain plastic case was reliable at holding the disc in place plus a place for inserts and the plastic sheet on the outside that protected the cover insert. I like consistency and my anime collection is mostly singles. I think it looks better than a bunch of different size, shape, thinckness of boxes, packs, cases, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2