• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which is better? Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, or Gintama?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

It's not an argument... it's just a contradiction!
I did!
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Naruto
21%
 21%  [ 37 ]
Bleach
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
One Piece
29%
 29%  [ 50 ]
Gintama
16%
 16%  [ 28 ]
I go WAH!
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 170

underlock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
First option is an obvious anti troll. The last option is... eh.. I was watching Monty Python. Go for that one if you're not a troll and don't have an opinion about the titles above.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the trolls are winning by a ton!
Also, I'm really surprised this hasn't gotten more comments; seems to me that a poll like this is just begging the crazy fans to come out of the woodwork and defend their favorite series. Well, I chose I go Wah! because I haven't seen even a single episode of Gintama or Bleach and am not a huge fan of One Piece or Naruto, though I've seen a significant amount of both. I am surprised that Naruto hasn't gotten a single vote to date though. If I'm taking 'Naruto' to mean the whole franchise I can understand, but just the series Naruto (so no Shippuden or the movies) I like quite a bit.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hm, if we're going by manga, then One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, in that order. I have no opinion on Gintama, as I read part of volume 1, but it didn't grab me.

Bleach anime I really, really liked up until the Bounto arc. Then it fell apart and I gave up. Even when the canon came back, it was so interspersed with filler, I never regained interest. I come back every now and then (the Visored flashback arc was amazing), but that's it. I've also stopped buying the manga, because that is getting dragged out as well, and it seems like Kubo has gotten lost with where he wants to take the story. I stopped buying around volume 31. I do really like Kubo's art and design though, especially his chapter title pages. He should go into fashion design.

Naruto is surprisingly good, despite the amount of flak it gets from anime fans. I enjoyed the anime quite a bit, all the way up to the filler, skipped all of that, started watching Shippuuden, and then watched it really really drag out. Got bored and stopped. When Viz was releasing the manga in 5 volume chunks, that was a blast. I blazed through that. Now it's caught up more or less to the Japanese release, and it comes out sooooo slowly. But I still buy it, 'cause it's pretty good.

One Piece is my favorite, and I prefer the manga over the anime. It took me a while to get used to Oda's art style, but it has really grown on me. One Piece makes me cry QUITE often because the story is so freaking good, and the characters are amazing. Viz's release for this one drives me even more nuts because I like this more than Naruto. This one volume every 4-5 months is killing me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
aw, I'm no giant fan but I had to give some love to Naruto. All episodes of the first season up to the filler. Shippuden up to around 140, none of the others inspired me to go that far, although I've never given Gintama a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Going "WAH" on this one and throwing out Dragon Ball Z. I have yet to see One Piece or Gintama, but what I have seen of Naruto & Bleach isn't spectacular in my opinion. They start out with a lot of promise and energy, but eventually just fizzle and fall into a tired routine that usually involves a lot of unnecessary angst in a vain attempt to create "serious character drama." So if we're championing shounen fighting anime, I've gotta go with one that's infinitely sparser on pretension & attempts to be something its not and just cuts right to the chase. Pacing problems aside, it's just loud, light, over-the-top fun, which is really all I expect and all I ever want out of this genre. I'll get my drama elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
underlock

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
While I generally fail to explain my thoughts, this time my intention was to survey members' opinion on major currently airing shonen. I left Fairy Fail and Case Closed aside, but that's just another result of my incapability.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I understand that, but since my vote was going to wind up being the "none of the above" option regardless, I thought I'd champion a past show from the same genre that I did enjoy all the way through, simply so I don't sound like a complete hater. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I understand that, but since my vote was going to wind up being the "none of the above" option regardless, I thought I'd champion a past show from the same genre that I did enjoy all the way through, simply so I don't sound like a complete hater. Razz

Ya, Dragonball & DBZ are awesome! Same opinion; its lack of pretension and straight-forward butt-kicking can be a fresh of breath air. I haven't really been following DBZ Kai, but I've seen the Namek arc and they did a really good job on buffing up the animation, and cutting out what little filler there was in the anime.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I voted for One Piece. Smile Although I've only read the first 12 volumes, I greatly enjoyed what was contained in those pages.

While I loved the cultural comedy of Gintama, I unfortunately found the manga too wordy and almost impenetrable (at least until I get closer to a Level 1 mastery of Japanese culture and Japanese).
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
One Piece all the way baby Very Happy Very Happy
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
This changes from time to time for me. Now Naruto takes a very strong lead, mainly because something is happening again. Bleach is well... meh. One Piece has always moved at a snails pace, and I don't watch Gintama.
hikaru hasama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I like them all but I think ( please don't laugh at me) i think i'm in love with Ichigo...
FruitsPunchSamuraiSan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
I love both Gintama and One Piece almost equally. I'm up to date with Bleach and sort of Naruto in the manga (Naruto has made me too bored to continue. I'm just plain NOT interested anymore and I'm just waiting for Sasuke to die and Naruto to become Hokage already). Everyone knows Bleach was awesome until the end of the SS arc when (although it was still interesting) it kept on dropping a notch. Now, it's just grasping for straws. I still like it but... Basically Naruto had more moving stories than Bleach so it's more emotionally influencial whereas I enjoy the art and overall style of Bleach (not to mention the HOTTIES in it)

But then there's One Piece and Gintama.
Gintama is the FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen; I just can't describe it. It's annoying too because it's such a troll but that's why I love it. It's hilarious and so unique (by being so un-unique), and NEVER gets boring because it's so crazy and the arcs only go from like 2-8 episodes. I don't know why it's being compared to these other series though Anime hyper It's a comedy manga really. Though there are some BADASS fight scenes too. One of the things I ADORE about it though, is there's always a message at the end of an arc/episode. Some of them are stupid and don't make sense, but then there's some that really influence me. And they're not always the typical "if you try hard you can become better" messages, they're sometimes about every day life and romance etc too. I have learnt a lot from Gintama (also, I know nearly every rude Japanese word because of it Anime hyper)

And One Piece... Honestly, it can't be compared to Naruto and Bleach. Naruto and Bleach have had their moments, and I still like the series a lot, but One Piece is just... It's so moving, unique and romantic. Whilst Naruto & Bleach are dying down and have gone past their peak, One Piece just keeps getting BETTER and BETTER. There's so much mystery & fantasy, I mean just the title of the series is a mystery (What is the One Piece treasure??). The environments, creatures & characters are so strange yet spectacular. It is really filled with precious imagination. People concerntrate on things like story pace, art, fight scenes etc but they're not the essence of a great series. It's about emotional impact. And One Piece has made me cry so much (and I'm not much of a crier). I feel such a deep attatchment to the Strawhats (I love them ALL and besides Gintama, this is the only series who doesn't have a main character I dislike), and I adore the idea of nakama. Also it's so HILARIOUS too (second to Gintama). It has a similar feeling to Naruto, except the story & characters are a lot better. Bleach is just sorta there. I don't feel much for it :\

Sorry for my long rant, but I just wanted to express this Smile
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime-wise, Gintama by a mile (which is what I voted). It has a few episodes that fall flat, but most of the time it's pretty much the best anime comedy.

Manga-wise, I'm not terribly attached to any of them. I'm not sure why I don't like Gintama the manga as much as I do the anime, but it doesn't grab me nearly as well. I might float Bleach to the top if I had to pick one.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It was with a certain sense of defiant pride that I selected the first option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2