• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politically-charged Manga Suspended in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
Warning: This is a lengthy post.

Sigh. The answer is, read the textbooks on your own before referring to some sites. Most of those who critisize Japan have not or not tried to read or study many things, reference material and so forth in Japanese.

I placed links in my post as references to more extensive criticisms of the history textbooks. Within the linked documents were specific examples of distortions and omissions in history textbooks.

Here is an abbreviated list of the links from my previous post.

+ Children and Textbooks Japan Network 21 http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kyokasho/net21/
+ International Scholars' Appeal Concerning the 2002-Edition Japanese History Textbooks http://www.jca.ax.apc.org/JWRC/center/english/appeal1.htm

These Web sites are maintained by Tokyo-based Japanese non-governmental organizations.

The "Appeal" link deals with the controversial (a polite term) Fuso-sha junior high textbook.

The documents accessed through the "Children and Textbooks" link are not limited to textbooks published by Fuso-sha. Of particular interest is the document "The Falsification of History Under the Guise of 'Self-Censorship' Has Been Forced onto Textbook Publishers" that discusses eight junior high textbooks.

Are you saying that these accounts of distortions and omissions are fabrications? If so, which ones?

If these are indeed fabrications, I am sure that everyone in this forum would welcome being set straight.

Thank you.
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
Interestingly, the actions of the Japanese government are quite different from those of the German government, its wartime ally.

I recommend you count how many times the Germany government announced *its* responsiblity for WW2 in the past 50 years. I was surprised to hear that the current President of Germany said in a speech on the effect that he was shamed and terrified with Nazi's brutality. They always say Hitler and Nazi are wrong, but I wonder how many times they said *Germany*.

At least once. From my original post:
Quote:
The German Parliament passed a bill in 2000 setting up a 7.5 billion dollar slave fund for the Nazi-era slave and forced laborers. They formally apologized to the victims "for what Germans did to them".

The Japanese government has yet to set up any state fund for compensation of victims of wartime atrocities.
enjin2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Listen, giao_su. However many guilties of the land of the rising sun you reaccount here, it serves nothing because the Japanese government is not/will not/cannot be involved in the problem.

It is the matter of moral of publication, and Shueisha conceded its error. That's all.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
Interestingly, the actions of the Japanese government are quite different from those of the German government, its wartime ally.

I recommend you count how many times the Germany government announced *its* responsiblity for WW2 in the past 50 years. I was surprised to hear that the current President of Germany said in a speech on the effect that he was shamed and terrified with Nazi's brutality. They always say Hitler and Nazi are wrong, but I wonder how many times they said *Germany*.

Yep, people differentiate between "Nazi-Germany" and today's Germany, the "Federal Republic of Germany". Rightfully so, since the Federal Republic was founded after WW2 with a constitution that had improved and changed points from the old one, points that had helped the nazis rise in power. It is really a changed Germany, also from people's attitudes.
Just making this clear: This is not about pushing the blame... it's not claiming that it was only some nazis were responsible, not Germans or Germany. But it was Nazi-Germany that did all that, not today's Germany. People ARE taking the responsibility, apologizing, remembering, learning about it, not pushing the blame on a small group of nazis and Hitler.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:

I am not opposed to using the term of Nanking Massacre, though an American student told me that Nanking Atrocities is used commonly in the West. However, Rape of Nanking is the title of Iris Chang's book. I think it is inadequate to use it here as if it were a historically formal name, don't you?

(warning: some of the descriptions in this post are graphic, but all of it is ture.) I'm relinquishing the floor to a friend from Nan Chang, China:

I am Chinese and I can say for certain that Rape of Nanjing is PERFECT to use as a historically formal name. My grandmother was 16 and saw with her own eyes all that happened during the the Japanese invasion. She and the other women in her village has to cover themselves with human waste in order to keep themselves from becoming a "comfort woman" when the Japanese army came through. She had to watch children and babies be brutally murdered. Women who were pregnant were opened and the unborn babies inside taken out. She did not live in Nanjing, but I know similar things happened there. It happened everywhere in China.

And as for accuracy of textbooks, go to China and look at history books there. See what kind of horrific pictures you find. Whether Motomiya altered the picture is irrelevant. It DOES represent the truth. I promise you, things in that picture DID happen, and much much worse. Nanjing was the capital of China before the attack and it was completely wiped out. I never met anybody whose family was from Nanjing because the citizens were almost all killed in the horrible atack. There is nobody left.

Historically formal? I think so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Listen, giao_su. However many guilties of the land of the rising sun you reaccount here, it serves nothing because the Japanese government is not/will not/cannot be involved in the problem.

It is the matter of moral of publication, and Shueisha conceded its error. That's all.

How curious!

You have been defending how wartime atrocities were depicted in Japanese history textbooks authorized by the Japanese government. Up to this point, you have discussed the broader issues. Suddenly, you have narrowed the issue.

Does this mean that you will not show us how the previously-cited accounts of these distortions and omissions in the textbooks are fabrications?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we anime fans are all geeks in many ways. I've never seen such intense and deep discussion even in history forums. Laughing

Okay, where should I start?

abunai wrote:
enjin2000 wrote:
Strange. I were the diplomat, I would also have tred to avoid discussing the issue just because I am a diplomat. I think the man/woman in the position is taught in any civilized country not to talk about the political issue hastily, isn't he/she? If I tried to argue about Hiroshima with the American diplomat, he/she would try to avoid the topic.

Excellent point.

I agree with you guys, and what the diplomat did was correct, but it might or might not because of his cautiousness. Don't overestimate diplomats today (abunai knows what I'm talking about Mr. Green).

GATSU wrote:
Um, your emperor was asked to surrender twice, and he refused twice. He was "warned". And your country didn't exactly warn Asia that it was going to invade either. Oh, and then there's the Pearl Harbor thing...

I have to say that I doubt what he could do even if he wanted to end the war. At the night of 1945-08-14 (Japanese time), twelve hours before the Emperor announced the surrender, his palace was surround by troops with an attempt of coup. If the recording engineer didn't risk his own life and hide the vinyl record of Emporer's surrender speech in his personal belongings, the history may not be the same.

GATSU wrote:
Or maybe your propaganda people would've twisted it around to make it look like it wasn't such a threat after all.

That assumption was quite accurate. Very few Japanese citizens knew Hiroshima was obliterated by one single bomb on August 6.

abunai wrote:
In the brief period between the Soviet declaration of war and the Japanese capitulation, the Soviet forces made short work of the Japanese forces in the north of China, and would presumably have had little difficulty in executing a concurrent invasion with the Americans, had the U.S. not been one step ahead.

Hey, I've seen video documentaries that Manchurian civilians welcoming Soviet liberators. In return Soviet soldiers performed traditional Russian dance (I don't know how to call them...squatting while keeping your upper body straight) for Chinese civilians. Wink

Thanks to FDR's overestimation of Japanese resistence, Soviets declared war on Japan two days after Hiroshima bombing (1945-08-08), right on the date after three months of Germany's defeat (1945-05-08), thus complying his duty in Yalta Conference and claimed all benefits in Manchuria.

By using atomic bombs, Truman wanted to warn Soviets not to advance into Japanese home islands. Besides, I believe the brass of US forces were eager to see the effectiveness of A-bomb on some real target. After all, this might be their last chance to use it "legally." This was not morally correct by today's standards, but it is understandable.

GATSU wrote:
Regardless of Truman's intentions, you're talking about a country that would send out kamikaze fighters when it ran out of weapons, because it refused to admit defeat.

Japan successfully tested one of its secret weapon: Nakajima "Kikka (橘花)," a copy of German Me-262 jet fighter, on 1945-08-07, one day after Hiroshima bombed. Similar weapons like its carrier-type counterpart, Navy Kuugishou "Keiun (景雲)"; Mitsubishi "Shusui (秋水)" (Me-163 copy) and its ultra-advanced improved version, Ki-202, with delta wings and foreplane canards. Judging from those advanced weaponry, I don't think the military wanted to surrender even after atomic bombing.

Okay, enough military geekiness. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Back to the use of questionable photo.

Prof. Tokushi Kasahara (笠原 十九司) made a similar mistake like Mr. Motomiya when he used a photo in his book. The photo is a group of Japanese soldiers with unidentified women. At the first glance, it looked like those were drafted military comfort women, but later it was verified those women were Japanese actresses who went front line to cheer soldiers. Prof. Kasahara received enormous pressure from right-wing activists and addressed a formal apology.

Those right-winged extremists always keep a close eye on those historians who admit Japanese war crimes. Whenever they made a small mistake, those extremists would do whatever they could (sometimes with death treats) to pummel him and force him to apologize and/or withdraw his work. On the contrary, voices against those right-winged extremists are so weak, so insignificant, and publications like the history textbook by Fusosha (扶桑社) can exist way much longer and receive much less criticism within Japan compared with Motomiya's manga.

Last question: Why and how can those right-winged extremists have so much power and resource after all those years?! Who and what is backing them?

A good news is that scholars from China, Japan and South Korea (Taiwan quitted in the middle...SHAME ON YOU TAIWANESE HISTORIANS! Mad ) formed a joint venture to write new history textbook (東亞歷史共同讀本) for our younger generation, and the book has reached the final phase of revision. May this brings up new hope for our future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
tekkaman:
Quote:
As for the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, General Lemay, commander of the 20th Air Force, selected them because both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not bombed like other cities in Japan. They were excellent test subjects for the effects of atomic blast on cities. Check out the film "Atomic Cafe." Turman used the bombing to scare the Russians and force the war to end quickly. "Operation Downfall", the invasion of Japan would have destoryed his adminstration.

And the Chinese were "test subjects" for the Japanese. What's your point?

Quote:
Japanese at 1853 were living in isolation for nearly two hundred years. Then Commodore Perry sailed into Tokyo bay and threaten the Tokugawa shoguns that controlled Japan to trade with them.

If Perry didn't wind up in Tokyo, a representative from another country would have done so in his stead. It just wasn't realistic for Japan to remain isolationist.

Quote:
To compete with the Western Imperialists, Japan underwent a massive modernization, the Meji Restoration. They even adopted Western Imperialist ways including conquests of other countries namely Korea and parts of China in the late 19th and early parts of 20th Century and SE asian countries in the World War II.

Actually, Japan became imperialist, because they didn't have enough resources to support a growing population. They used Western imperialism as a "legitimate" pretext to invade-just like Hitler used "self-determination" as an excuse to "annex" Poland and Czechoslovakia- but they were probably going to invade anyway.

abunai:
Quote:
That's completely erroneous. In fact, the Soviet forces in the East were relatively well-supplied and in a comparatively high state of readiness

Um, they burned down their own crops and villages so Hitler wouldn't get to them.

Quote:
In the brief period between the Soviet declaration of war and the Japanese capitulation, the Soviet forces made short work of the Japanese forces in the north of China, and would presumably have had little difficulty in executing a concurrent invasion with the Americans, had the U.S. not been one step ahead

That's because the bulk of the Japanese army wasn't in China by then, but in the South Pacific. If it the majority of the Japanese army did take on the Soviets, then the Soviets would've had their arses handed to them, because they couldn't even compete with the Japanese on the water by then.

enjin:
Quote:

I think the fact that the German government has allowed Jews reparations for slave labor, while the Japanese government has not is all that needs to be said about the two.

Crackajax:
Quote:
Wrong. Saying Germany was wrong would be saying that everyone who lived in Germany at that time was responsible for the Nazi's brutality, including the German Jews.

Almost everyone.

Quote:
Many people feigned (sp?) an allegience to Hitler in order to escape the possibility of death, or visiting the death camps too.

And most people had no problems beating up Jews.

Quote:
And what about those who helped hide the Jews? Certainly they cannot be held responsible for Hitler's work.

If they were anything like Schindler, then they waited an awfully long time to do anything...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
To compete with the Western Imperialists, Japan underwent a massive modernization, the Meji Restoration. They even adopted Western Imperialist ways including conquests of other countries namely Korea and parts of China in the late 19th and early parts of 20th Century and SE asian countries in the World War II.

Actually, Japan became imperialist, because they didn't have enough resources to support a growing population. They used Western imperialism as a "legitimate" pretext to invade-just like Hitler used "self-determination" as an excuse to "annex" Poland and Czechoslovakia- but they were probably going to invade anyway.

Thanks to Yukichi Fukuzawa (福沢 諭吉, 1835-1901), one of the most important Japanese philosopher in recent history, and the 10,000-Yen guy.

GATSU wrote:
That's because the bulk of the Japanese army wasn't in China by then, but in the South Pacific. If it the majority of the Japanese army did take on the Soviets, then the Soviets would've had their arses handed to them, because they couldn't even compete with the Japanese on the water by then.

Don't underestimate the power of T-34-85. Japanese army never have had a good tank.

GATSU wrote:
If they were anything like Schindler, then they waited an awfully long time to do anything...

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.
Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
Als sie die Juden holten, habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Jude.
Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.

English translation:

First the Nazis came for the communists, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the social democrats, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a social democrat;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.

by Rev. Martin Niemöller (1892-1984), 1945
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
abunai:
Quote:
That's completely erroneous. In fact, the Soviet forces in the East were relatively well-supplied and in a comparatively high state of readiness

Um, they burned down their own crops and villages so Hitler wouldn't get to them.

Let's see... I'm guessing that you didn't think a lot about that before you wrote it. Rolling Eyes

Now, let me help you... Look carefully at that sentence of mine. See where it says "Soviet forces in the East"? That's because we're not talking about the European theatre of operations, but the Asian theatre of operations.

Besides, it would have been rather sensational for Hitler or his troops to be able to do anything in Aisa in the summer of 1945. He was dead, and they had surrendered.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
In the brief period between the Soviet declaration of war and the Japanese capitulation, the Soviet forces made short work of the Japanese forces in the north of China, and would presumably have had little difficulty in executing a concurrent invasion with the Americans, had the U.S. not been one step ahead

You have a very vague idea of the military situation in mid-1945. As a matter of fact, yes, a lot of the Japanese troops were tied up in various zones of the Asian-Pacific theatre. The Japanese sea and air forces had been severely reduced, to the extent that there was very little naval or air power left to defend Japan with. After Leyte, it was pretty much over for the Japanese Navy.

A relatively large number of medium-quality troops remained on the home islands, and an invasion of Japan wouldn't have been easy - but not as difficult as the scare tactics of Truman made them out to be. In fact, the projected casualty estimates for an Allied invasion of the home islands were ridiculously high.

In China, there was still a significant Japanese military presence. They were war-weary and poorly supplied, but they were far from being outnumbered by the Soviets. They might have held off the Soviet Red Army, had the Soviets not had better leadership, and the support of Chinese forces. But in the end, the Japanese forces were no match for fresh, well-supplied and better-led Soviet troops.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
GATSU wrote:
abunai:
Quote:

Let's see... I'm guessing that you didn't think a lot about that before you wrote it. Rolling Eyes

Now, let me help you... Look carefully at that sentence of mine. See where it says "Soviet forces in the East"? That's because we're not talking about the European theatre of operations, but the Asian theatre of operations.

Besides, it would have been rather sensational for Hitler or his troops to be able to do anything in Aisa in the summer of 1945. He was dead, and they had surrendered.

He's right on one technicality:

Hitler considered Russia in his "Eastern Campaign." So it all depends on which side your on.

Of course, nobody bothers to mention that Russia and Japan were on a Neutral terms thru most of WWII.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:11 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
He's right on one technicality:

Hitler considered Russia in his "Eastern Campaign." So it all depends on which side your on.

Um, no. There's no way you can consider him right, even on a technicality. The "Eastern Campaign" of Hitler (beginning with Operation Barbarossa and ending in full retreat, all the way to Berlin) was in Europe, and it was long since over by this time. Germany had capitulated, Hitler was dead - the fat lady had sung her "Hoyotoho", taken her bows, and left the stage...

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Of course, nobody bothers to mention that Russia and Japan were on a Neutral terms thru most of WWII.

Wrong again, this has been mentioned several times in the discussion.

In fact, Japan approached the USSR (not "Russia", btw) in February of 1945, hoping to have the Soviet Union (as a "neutral party") contact the U.S.A., with a view to ending the war. This was couched in careful, face-saving terms, but the intent was clear.

Yes, you read that right - Japan was already considering surrendering in early 1945.

So, what went wrong? Well, first off, the Soviets didn't pass on the information. At Yalta, Stalin promised support against Japan, once Germany was defeated. After the German surrender, Stalin dragged his feet on actually declaring war on Japan, wanting to let the U.S. do most of the work for him (a statesman-like policy, I might add - I'd have done the same).

In the meantime, the Japanese peace overtures were only referred to off-handedly as "preliminaries", and it was never made clear to the Americans that the approach came from the highest official levels in Japan.

The Japanese, naturally, were mystified to receive no reply.

Then Roosevelt died, and Truman succeeded him. Around this time, the Soviets finally got around to relating the Japanese offer to the U.S.A. in an official message - but they were still presented as talks at the lower levels of diplomacy. The Americans had no way of knowing that the Japanese offer was official and serious.

In a way, you could lay the blame for the U.S. and Japanese casualties of the war in the period from about April 1945 until the actual surrender in September, squarely at the feet of Stalin.

A number of Japanese-U.S. miscommunications seem to have confounded the process of peace - and even the start of the war. For instance, there seems to be evidence to support the fact that the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour was not, in fact, intended to take place without a preceding declaration of war - but the Japanese ambassador who was to deliver the declaration just before the attack was kept waiting in a front office. By the time he was admitted, the attack had already taken place - and he was received with ire.

Fortunately for the U.S., miscommunication works both ways - poor intelligence had resulted in the Japanese not being aware that just next to Pearl Harbour was, in fact, the only major fuel supply for the U.S. Pacific fleet west of Los Angeles. Had they known, the Japanese could have bombed it, and delayed U.S. naval mobilisation by weeks, maybe even months.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
Although I will not claim to be an expert from what I know about the Japanese mentality during WWII any land invaision of the main islands of Japan would have been more costly in terms of lives then the A bombs.

Everyone in Japan was expected to fight to the death in case of an American invaision. From what I know from history classes and my own research it seems to me that the death toll would have been much higher for both sides if we had decided to invade Japan instead of dropping the bomb.

Also when talking about the decision to drop the bombs people never mention that American firebombing killed more Japanese then the A Bombs did.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

A number of Japanese-U.S. miscommunications seem to have confounded the process of peace - and even the start of the war. For instance, there seems to be evidence to support the fact that the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour was not, in fact, intended to take place without a preceding declaration of war - but the Japanese ambassador who was to deliver the declaration just before the attack was kept waiting in a front office. By the time he was admitted, the attack had already taken place - and he was received with ire.

Fortunately for the U.S., miscommunication works both ways - poor intelligence had resulted in the Japanese not being aware that just next to Pearl Harbour was, in fact, the only major fuel supply for the U.S. Pacific fleet west of Los Angeles. Had they known, the Japanese could have bombed it, and delayed U.S. naval mobilisation by weeks, maybe even months.

- abunai

So where is the accusations that Churchill and our inept US Intellegence Community failed in their jobs fit into your "revisionist" history?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Coral Skipper wrote:
Although I will not claim to be an expert from what I know about the Japanese mentality during WWII any land invaision of the main islands of Japan would have been more costly in terms of lives then the A bombs.

Everyone in Japan was expected to fight to the death in case of an American invaision. From what I know from history classes and my own research it seems to me that the death toll would have been much higher for both sides if we had decided to invade Japan instead of dropping the bomb.

Also when talking about the decision to drop the bombs people never mention that American firebombing killed more Japanese then the A Bombs did.
The fight for Iwa Jima proved to the US command that any invasion into Japan would have been a bloodbath of immense proportions on both sides that was the icing on the "drop the bomb" decision.

On the topic of that controvercial photo, the one used for the basis of the manga drawing. I have to say that the quality of that photo is very bad and it is easy to see that the drawing did take some "artistic license" to make it look like a Japanese Soldier. so on that basis alone it is a fair shout that it shouldn't have been done. But having said that I still think Shueisha bent too easily to the "denial school" breeze of rebukes. They could have argued that it was, afterall, a work of fiction anyway. And yeah okay the Japanese Government didn't issue an official order to suspend the manga, point taken. But the Japan Times said it was "in response to complaints by Japanese politicians who claim the slaughter never happened." "Thirty-seven members of local assemblies protested to the publisher on Oct. 5, saying the massacre was presented as if it really happened." tells me that the "denial police" must be quite powerful there. I take the phrase "local assemblies" to mean "local city, or parish, council assembies" not very high on the governing ladder. I'm sure our enjin2000 will want to clarify that.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12