• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yen Press to Take Part in Free Comic Book Day

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladykibble

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind, the way "Free Comic Book Day" works is that retailers have to buy in at a "Regular," "Silver," or "Gold" level.

Witch & Wizard is a silver tier level book, so check your local comic book store ahead of time for availability.

Enjoy FCBD!
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
Pretty sweet, I only have one Comic store near me thats participating so hopefully they'll have this.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
The pickings were pretty slim last year, at least now there is something interesting to look forward to. Shame that Dark Horse listing is just bad layout, rather than sticking two completely unrelated stories together.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
FCBDs used to have lots of manga during manga's heydays. Now, they're almost gone. Confused
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
By free comics, I wonder if they mean giving away comic series that either wasn't very popular or did not sell well.

Maybe I am off base, but I know producing manga/comics isn't exactly cheap, so I can only imagine Yen Press giving away something that they can't really make a ton of money on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually, companies like Marvel and DC usually put out special issues of their titles (this year there was Spiderman, Thor, and Green Lantern, I've gotten X-Men stuff in the past), and other companies put out preview books. Yen's looks to be a preview, probably about 20 pages or so of the book (the store I went to didn't have it).
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Didn't see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I grabbed it up along with a zillion other things they let me take. Not much of a Patterson fan, but I'll give it a try. The Witch & Wizard were interesting but felt cut really short - but I'll still probably pick up a copy. Svetlana Chmakova's art was really nice at first (the first couple pages looked like color pages turned black and white for printing) but the later pages were lacking in backgrounds big time - so much to the point they bugged me.

But that probably was just me as an art student, and a regular reader probably won't notice. Besides, Chmakova will probably grow into the project.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, my local comic shop didn't have it. And I was so looking forward to it Crying or Very sad
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
FCBD was awesome this year! For me, anyways, although I didn't get the comic I was hoping to find. But still, getting a free Green Lantern HeroClix piece and a Sonic comic were pretty neat. Maybe someday we'll see a special manga release for FCBD.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
I didn't see it at my local shop. My shop had a limit of 2 free comics per customer, so I picked up "Worlds of Aspen 2011" and "Avatar: The Last Airbender" along with a Robert Lynn Asprin "Myth" book I don't think I've read yet.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
My store offered 3 comics per client but divided them on tables, and you could only get 1 per table. Unfortunately I came in a little late so many titles were already gone Sad Did saw that comic though, pity as I like how Svetlana Chmakova draws Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1