• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Reiko the Zombie Shop

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gombos

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

P.S. I'm wondering if the Road Warrior reference was a translation equivalent for a Japanese show?

I don't have a Japanese volume handy, but I am pretty sure it was actually for the Road Warrior, and not for some equivalent (i.e. not adapted). If I can sift through all my old books at some point today I could look and check it out, but no promises. Anime smile
gothung

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Gombos wrote:

Hello there, folks! ....
(snip) (/snip)
Edited for TL;DR: You are seeing the manga as the manga-ka intended, and no, GANTZ and BERSERK haven't been touched. I can look through the volumes and find the exact instances in REIKO later, but it makes me too sad to know that my Reiko sits in a state of torpor.
PS: Jason: If you're DMing stuff in Portland, I expect a seat at your table.

Thanks for explaining, my faith in DH is restored. It wasn't by choice, but because the mangaka requested it.

I'd have to dig through my old manga as well, but I remember a different scene. Maybe they were the same? It's been a while since I read Reiko...

I seem to remember a scene involving a cabin in the woods where a number of bodies were hanging from meat hooks and chains. Around this chapter, a group of females (3-4 I think?) is murdered and are raised and stalk back through the woods to assault either the killer or someone else. In the original at least one of the females was nude, but in the DH version, she suddenly had clothing or something.

Again, a minor detail/change, but since I was under the impression that DH was altering the manga, it bugged me. Now that the air has been cleared, I can go back to being a regular old fanboy.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A typo:

Quote:
one of his more recent manga, Kyunyu Dragon ("Big Breasts Dragon")

"Kyunyu" should be (NSFW) "Kyonyuu"/"Kyonyū".
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Fix needed - "such as Kazuo Umezu, Hideshi Hino and later Kazuo Umezu,"

Whups! Sorry, I meant "and later Junji Ito." Thanks for catching it!

eyeresist wrote:
I picked up the first vol of this cheap and loved it. First of all there is the old-school EC Comics-style grue (and phony moralism). Second, and the review didn't make this clear, Reiko is basically a sociopath, a female Dexter, which is refreshing.

Well, she's almost totally amoral, but I wouldn't call her quite that deranged. She's just your standard "money-hungry lady businessman" manga stereo-archetype, only her business happens to involve raising the dead. She just does her thing and prefers if you don't bother her. She doesn't go out of her way to save the innocent and punish evil, but she doesn't go out of her way to torment and slaughter either... though I bet you can probably find contrary evidence in the manga if you look hard enough.
masTer_raiHa

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
whoa! another horror manga! on the story says that a girl (Reiko) is a professional necromancer who, for a substantial fee, reanimates the dead, for the purpose of obtaining information from them... cool! sounds scary Twisted Evil
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
gothung wrote:

Again, a minor detail/change, but since I was under the impression that DH was altering the manga, it bugged me.

They are altering the manga. Laughing

One is either OK with it for good reason or against it for any reason. One can be against it for any reason yet be respectful about it, aka "I know it's a good reason, but by principle, I won't support it."
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Well, she's almost totally amoral, but I wouldn't call her quite that deranged. She's just your standard "money-hungry lady businessman" manga stereo-archetype, only her business happens to involve raising the dead. She just does her thing and prefers if you don't bother her. She doesn't go out of her way to save the innocent and punish evil, but she doesn't go out of her way to torment and slaughter either... though I bet you can probably find contrary evidence in the manga if you look hard enough.

Well, I guess that's what I meant by the Dexter reference - Reiko doesn't have strong feelings for or against the horrors she witnesses, or about the various people around her, she just does what seems practical.
gothung

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

They are altering the manga. Laughing

One is either OK with it for good reason or against it for any reason. One can be against it for any reason yet be respectful about it, aka "I know it's a good reason, but by principle, I won't support it."

Good point. Since practically anything is available on the internet (albeit with questionable legality), I think it's easier to take a hard stance not to support censoring, but in the rare case where it's either a censored version or no version at all, I think people would choose the former.

Back to Reiko:
I went back and dug out my copies of DH Reiko over the weekend. I only bought vols 1, 2, and 4 before I stopped, so I can only offer a comparison of those.

Vol1: There were two panels (one each on two different pages, p51 and 111, I think) where the original was in an inverted color style (ie: like a photo negative, black and white are reversed) and the DH version was in the normal style. Also, later in a third panel, there was a word bubble that had the same effect.

Vol2: No changes that I could see. d(*v*)b

Vol4: Act 20. For those of you who haven't seen the chapter, it's about a fat ugly camp manager who kidnaps and sacrifices young pretty girls in a witchcraft attempt to make herself beautiful and desirable. It starts off with the disembowelment/intestine eating scene right off the bat, and as mentioned by Gombos, the poor girl on the table with her guts on display does have a bit more blood splatter to cover her nipples.

In the next few panels, you see another girl (the blonde one if anyone DOES have Reiko and wants to follow along) who was tied up and manages to get loose and attempt a brave escape. In the original, this girl was topless. In the edited version, she's sporting a black bra.

Later in the chapter, the ghosts of these girls appear before Reiko and her friends, in order to possess their bodies and exact their revenge. In the scene where the ghosts appear, naturally the DH version has disembowelment girl with blood across her breasts and blonde girl with her bra. (At least DH was consistent)

And finally, the only other page I thought was different was a full page scene showing Reiko and friends (possessed) beating/hacking on the camp manager lying on the ground. In the original, the scene had shadowy borders, but was clear enough in the middle to show what was going on. In the DH version, the WHOLE PAGE is practically black. You can barely make out that one of the girls is holding a hatchet and another a large rock, but it's pretty obscured as to what they're actually doing. To be fair, in context with the previous panels you KNOW what they're doing, but as a standalone, it's hard to make out.

I have NO idea why DH might have done the negative swap... I doubt it was to save ink, the whole manga is pretty dark... And I don't think it was for clarity, since both panels and the word bubble were all pretty simple.

As for Act 20... well, Gombos offered what Mikamoto said, but at this point (Vol 4) I think the reader has already seen their fair share of nipples. Vol 1 had the pregnant teen being kept in the teacher's basement lab. Vol 2 had Sinner's Nightmare and Artificial Being No. 8. Maybe Mikamoto approached DH starting in Vol 3/4?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Once again with all this violence and gore; they're worried about nipples?! If this was a manga for a younger audience, I'd understand. But this has to be OT rated, at least. I'm sure everyone's seem female nipples by this time. Plus, it's the least disturbing part, IMHO.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Once again with all this violence and gore; they're worried about nipples?!

If nobody's worried about nipples, then girls shouldn't worry about exposing them! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2