• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokemon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life Dub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched it on CN , and it was preety decent enough. I've already got the DVD and it's a definite recomendation for anyone to introduce kids to the anime world. Then again, I'm a die hard poekmaniac so my opinion in a way dont count.

BUT I do admit that the new dubs are completely inferior to the 4kids version of pokemon ( even though i still hate those bastards for ruining some series ) and it's not as good as the Zoarak movie, it's a solid dub.

Besides, I'll gladly take th PUSA dubs over the crappy ones that 4kids are doing right now to other series , double for Nelvana too.

However what could have made this REALLY interesting is that they did the same thing that Bandai did for Ronin Warriors , which was release their edited dub version and include an actual sub version with the release. That way some people would consider buying the DVD if it had a sub and not resort to those fansubs that are flooding over the net. But because Nintendo is merrting the series as a kids show , I'm afraid I'll never see an official sub version. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Another Pokemon movie! wow i really haven't keeping up with these, the last one i saw was the Entei one.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Another Pokemon movie! wow i really haven't keeping up with these, the last one i saw was the Entei one.

The Entei one (the third movie) was really good. Hell, I found the first three pretty enjoyable or entertaining moves-- I saw the uncut dub of the first film back in club about a month ago (by uncut I mean the one that kept in the 12-minute sequence detailing Mewtwo's creation), and still found it enjoyable (discounting sheer nostalgia), even with the cringe-worthy N-Sync piece. I think my favorite dub line from the first one was Ash stating that Vikings mostly live in Minnesota Laughing.

I think I've only seen a handful of the latter ones, and because I didn't watch them at least half a dozen times apiece, and the fact that I've seen them after I moved beyond Pokemon, they really haven't stuck with me.... the Lucario one was good (or at least what I saw of it), and that Pokemon Ranger movie was decent. The most recent one I've seen was The Rise of Darkrai, and that underwhelmed me. Maybe a part of it was because I was hoping that I'd hear the theme song sung by Sarah Brightman, which never made it in the dub. So eh... doubt I'd be interested in this one, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Used to own up until the Ranger and the Temple of the Sea.
Personally, I heavily prefered the 4Kids dub over Pokemon USA. I grew up watching the show so I associate Ash's voice with Veronica Taylor and Rica Matsumoto.

This is a good movie and really wish they'd actually release some sort of uncut version of it someday. The D&P trilogy were solid films that had a connected plot which was suprising.

The thing that erked me however was they seemed stand-alone, similar to the rest of the films. Couldn't we actually have a connected film line, a la D&P that referenced each other?
Blackjack Gabbiani

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
"Weird polytheistic undercurrent"? We've known from the very first game that the Pokemon world has multiple gods (ok granted the Legendary Birds are more of elemental embodiments, but still).

And...if they think that no one dies in Pokémon movies, they haven't seen very many. There's a surprisingly high mortality rate in the movies. Sure the show has a body count of MAYBE one (J, and I honestly would not be surprised if she showed up again. Well ok, her henchmen are dead for sure), but the movies haven't shied away from killing characters off.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree that PUSA's dub is pretty awful, but I haven't watched the dub since I was a kid who maybe 4Kids would be just as bad if I go back. I stick to the Japanese/sub version myself. No one can top Mamoru Miyano. No one.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Truthfully, you're better off plunking them down in front of Kiki's Delivery Service. Hint, hint.

Seconded! I must have seen every movie up to and including Temple of the Sea yet I find that I am only capable of recalling a few details from those movies while I watched Kiki's Delivery Service repeatedly and love it more every time!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
As I was reading through this review, I kept thinking that use of a lowercase "p" for the the word "Pokemon" was incorrect when referencing the creatures themselves. I spent some time looking through the rule book for my kids' Pokemon cards, and nowhere in it did I ever see the word "Pokemon" appear with a lowecase "p."

I apologize for the nit-pick here, but I do have a job at another website doing editing work, and so I tend to pick up on spelling and capitalization mistakes in things that I read. I have to admit that every time I saw that wrong capitalization for Pokemon, I was cringing and wishing I could fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Painted Outlaw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and while there's no way to know for sure without the Japanese track for comparison, it seems unlikely that it's missing any of the original's meaning or impact.

Think of it this way; With the current dub, everyone and everything's remotely accurate except for the Rocket TRio.
Always
always...
...always

Ok, the start of B/w is an exception but 90% of the time it's like how I stated.

Quote:
But because Nintendo is merrting the series as a kids show , I'm afraid I'll never see an official sub version. Sad

Well, it is a kid show. Razz
but yeah, would be nice if we got some subs supplied with the dvd released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1