• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reminder: Manhwa-Based Priest Film Opens Today

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This movie looksl like someone tossed Johah Hex, Legion, and I Am Legend into blender. Not a good thing.

Also, rather ironic that the comic this is based on more or less JUST went totally out of print with Tokyopop gone.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's an hour and twenty-seven minutes long.

I've seen Pixar movies that are longer than that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it looks like a January-quality movie released at the start of the "summer" movie season, with the goofy pseudo-religious themes and the bad CGI demons. Plus, I really don't like the look of films that add too much of a blue tint in post production; I guess the producers think it makes it look stylish, but it just makes the other colours look washed-out and ugly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Destined to be crushed under Thor and Pirates, they couldn't have picked a worse premiere date.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

Length of a movie has nothing to do with quality.

I direct you to watch "The Thin Red Line", one of the most boring, long movies in existence. Clocks in at just under 3 hours.

Give me a good movie at 65minutes over a mediocre movie at 90 any day.

Emerje wrote:
Destined to be crushed under Thor and Pirates, they couldn't have picked a worse premiere date.

Emerje

Wouldn't have made much difference. It's a niche of a niche movie.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
No thank you.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Wouldn't have made much difference. It's a niche of a niche movie.

Maybe. If it was during a typical movie drought it might do well, people love gritty vampire movies like Underworld, Queen of the Damned, and Blade regardless of source. The market is there for these movies, but there's no shortage of big budget films this time of year and throughout the summer, no amount promotion could save this even if it was a good movie.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

Length of a movie has nothing to do with quality.

Yes it does. But not in the way you're thinking. If a movie's too short it's impossible to flesh out the characters or the world they're in. I could care less if a movie's too long, because at least the characters have time to be developed.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Also, rather ironic that the comic this is based on more or less JUST went totally out of print with Tokyopop gone.

Emphasis on the less; I just wrote a short review for Right Turn Only!! explaining how they basically took the premise of the original manhwa, said, "pfft", threw it out the window, then made up something new without changing the title. It's one of those "in name only" kind of movies. And I'm sure (at a current 19% at Rotten Tomatoes) that it will be awful.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Paul Bettany still doesn't strike me as the go-to choice for the lead in Priest. Perhaps it is because I still picture him as Doctor Maturin from Master and Commander. Speaking of which, we'd all have been better served with him cast in the overdue sequel to that.

Even without the look of the Doctor, I still associate the voice with Jarvis, an aristocratic & rather prissy entity. I'd be hard pressed to accept him as a "badass" character; to me it would be like trying to watch One Piece with Chris Sabat dubbing the Luffie, or Naruto with Vic Mignogna as Naruto.

I agree that the film will be steamrollered by the superfluous & shameless Pirates 4 & the "racially balanced" Thor.

On movie length, I cannot think of a really long movie made in the last few years which was truly served by being protracted. Modern films of length seem to want to cram too much into one film, leaving everything underdeveloped, rather than focusing on a central concept and fleshing it out. They go for breadth over depth, and IMO we get filler as a result. The Dark Knight & Spiderman 3 are prime examples--there were far too many villains in each, and only one of the villains in each was even possibly hit upon. The others got ripped off, and could easily have been in their own movie.

Gone are the days of great/good movies of length which were markedly better because of their length. The days of Patton or Lawrence of Arabia are long gone.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda funny they have money to whore this film to the moon and back (Hell, the commercial airs in Gamestop every 5 frelling minutes on the in-store TV's!!) yet not enough money to save the manga division.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Emphasis on the less; I just wrote a short review for Right Turn Only!! explaining how they basically took the premise of the original manhwa, said, "pfft", threw it out the window, then made up something new without changing the title. It's one of those "in name only" kind of movies. And I'm sure (at a current 19% at Rotten Tomatoes) that it will be awful.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I watched the behind the scenes/making of/whatever-that-channel-calls-it earlier in the week, and not a single mention of the "original source." All the people saying we wrote it, we did this world, we created that, and absolutely nothing about TP.

... It was actually almost cathartic that they not be named.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
It's kinda funny they have money to whore this film to the moon and back (Hell, the commercial airs in Gamestop every 5 frelling minutes on the in-store TV's!!) yet not enough money to save the manga division.

This isn't a "Tokyopop film" nor is it bankrolled by Tokyopop. They didn't pay for the marketing campaign. Or the production of the film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
It doesn't look as bad as DB:E, but it still looks like a mess. But BOM says it's already made $5 million overseas; and Screen Gems is uber-cheap, so it'll probably break even. Unless it costs at least $80 million...

vash: I'm wondering why they even picked up the rights. Were they worried they'd get sued if they used the same title? Oh, well, at least Tokyopop will get paid for the home video residuals, right? Right?

Sunday: Well, ideally, Tokyopop got money for the movie, not the other way around. I mean, it'd be friggin' nuts if it was the other way around.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
BoxOffice.com's early projections are that Priest will debut at #4 and make approximately $14.7 million domestically this weekend, which isn't fantastic but it's still better than the $10.5 million Scott Pilgrim made on its opening weekend. (Scott Pilgrim is almost certainly the much better film, though I will never watch Priest so it's probably not entirely fair to have that opinion.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2