• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Announces Canadian Distribution

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
guess that good news. i like bandai stuff, they got the good stuff on the DVDs, unlike all the useless extra crap ADV puts on theirs.
FlyingWok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will mean more Bandai anime DVDs in mainstream stores like Future Shop and HMV in Canada -- which may lead to lower prices due to more sales (from more exposure) and more competition between stores... hopefully!

CDN$40 a DVD for Gundam Seed after the Amazon pre-order period is just too much.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:25 pm Reply with quote
hopefully the prices will go down a bit from exposure if thats when they're aiming for. the prices are so ridivulous sometimes i limit myself to buying DVDs at conventions only
whisler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
Its about time i cant find any movies aroud my area or where a find him it sale 40 $ or 50 $ without the online store i will not have too mush anime movies and now maybe my credit card will rest in peace.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:31 am Reply with quote
Diamond has been shipping Bandai products to Canadian anime stores and Comic book stores this whole time.

Althought they weren't in big chains (that don't deal with diamond), finding the titles wasn't very hard....

-t
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Althought they weren't in big chains (that don't deal with diamond), finding the titles wasn't very hard....

Finding titles for less than $40 is though.

It was somewhat better when Anime Universe was handling Bandai's Canadian distribution. When you can find Animeigo, who has less of a market share than Bandai, titles at Walmart for less than $25 and no Bandai titles, you know something's wrong.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Now if they could tell their european arm (Beez) to get there rear in gear i would be really happy
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me one bit. Bandai has always at least seemed to care about the Canadian market. Hell, I've heard stories about how hard they've been pushing their titles for Canadian airplay (on top of getting WHR and Gundam Wing & SEED on YTV, they've also been known to shove Cowboy Bebop down Teletoon's throat, to no avail). One of the main men at the company has even gone as far as saying that Canada needs help, when it comes to anime. Nice to see that they can talk the talk AND walk the walk. And I know that I'll be getting the WHR boxed set, one of these days.

Now when is Geneon going to start actually caring about their Canadian fans? (Hell, when is Geneon going to care about their fans, in general? Their last full boxed set was what? Hellsing, maybe? Did I miss a press release of theirs stating that they're only going to release their titles in individual volumes including the "Vol. 1 + Box" scam, from now on? Ah, but I digress...)
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it turns out that Bandai hasn't really been shoving Bebop down their throats... apparently somebody currently has the Canadian broadcast rights to Cowboy Bebop, but is just sitting on them with no obvious intention to ever show it.

But it's good to see that Banadai's Canadian distribution is finally up and running. Hopefully stuff will start hitting the shelves soon.
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Actually, it turns out that Bandai hasn't really been shoving Bebop down their throats... apparently somebody currently has the Canadian broadcast rights to Cowboy Bebop, but is just sitting on them with no obvious intention to ever show it.

Heh. I think I originally remember reading the "Bandai shoving CB down Teletoon's throat" bit on your site, if I'm not mistaken.

Just out of curiosity, do you know who has the Canadian broadcasting rights?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:06 am Reply with quote
Please try to ignore anything I had written on my site before the revamp, heh. Although I know that Bandai did make an effort to get the show on Teletoon.

I have no idea who has the Canadian broadcast rights. I'm trying to find out...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1