• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Love Machine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I wish it weren't so expensive; that looks like a great figure. I loved Summer Wars. Crying or Very sad
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Expensive is right; for a real statue (PVC), 70-100 bucks is par for the course (sadly), or even downright cheap. But for an action figure, 100 bucks is ridiculous.

However, if the average Summer Wars fan is also a Type/Moon fan, as the author of the column seems to be, then price won't be an issue Wink (BTW, I never understood the appeal of that SD Arcueid figure; its inclusion in Melty Blood further broke that game. It is to Melty Blood as Yoda is to SC4 Sad )
Quote:
If we just look at the base body, there's got to be enough plastic here for two of the Figmas I've been reviewing, who are typically small girls.
This guy has enough bust to make 4 or so figures of Mari Makinami Illustrious from Eva previously reviewed. I think they got the amount of chest area plastic confused between those 2 figures Did they pump Love Machine full of too many virtual steroids? Wait, you said that he had lost his virtual manhood, I guess this is the result of the supplements to compensate for that, a la Fight Club.
Quote:
This is Love Machine, the malicious rogue AI (It's a Japanese pun! Get it?)

That Japanese "pun" is atrocious, it's not even worthy of being labeled a pun. For a language so replete with homophones, you'd think their language would be rife with puns, but it is all but barren but for horrible attempts such as this. Calling an AI "Love Machine" is horrendous. Following that, Ai Tanabe's (Planetes) name is a "pun" based on her character's dialogue, and a better one than Summer Wars'. Heart from Arcana Heart would then also be a "pun".

The only real Japanese pun I've seen is in the Japanese dialogue of Witchblade. The only other thing I can think of, which comes close, is the Yamato Nadesico fight from Martian Successor Nadesico. That's still not a real pun, but it's much closer to the mark than "Love Machine". Rolling Eyes
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I really, really want this figure. But the price Sad
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Price, what price? It's $70 bucks. Given the rarity and the franchise's popularity, that's dirt cheap.

I'm no fan of Summer Wars, the only thing good about it was the excellent dub (as a concession, IMO), but if I were, and this male action figure didn't have a rack bigger than many busty characters in low-brow ecchi shows, I'd pick it up for 70 bucks and realize that I obtained a bargain.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this is selling for only $70.

(Though again, I have extreme difficulty coming to grips with the pricing for these Japanese action figures.)
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Very nice indeed.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
taster of pork wrote:
Price, what price? It's $70 bucks. Given the rarity and the franchise's popularity, that's dirt cheap.

I'm no fan of Summer Wars, the only thing good about it was the excellent dub (as a concession, IMO), but if I were, and this male action figure didn't have a rack bigger than many busty characters in low-brow ecchi shows, I'd pick it up for 70 bucks and realize that I obtained a bargain.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this is selling for only $70.

(Though again, I have extreme difficulty coming to grips with the pricing for these Japanese action figures.)
I don't think $70 is over priced. It's just too much for me to spend right now.
mubay

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it is a super cool action figure!

Plus it comes with a lot of freaking amazing accessories *-* I found a website called "cooljapangoods" that is selling it for around 49 bucks =O~~

o.O btw... For some reason I had to post again since my first post did not show up.

If Natsukis avatar (the last bunny) comes out on a figurine as nice as this one I will get it for sure! =D

^^ later!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Wow an action figure for Summer Wars. Didn't think they'd have something like that. Really nice. Gotta love the punch. And Arc rules the world.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
mubay wrote:

Plus it comes with a lot of freaking amazing accessories *-* I found a website called "cooljapangoods" that is selling it for around 49 bucks =O~~

Keep in mind that after international shipping (using USA) you will still be paying $70. I haven't heard of this store prior to today and have never used it, so I can't personally vouch for this offer.
mubay

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

Keep in mind that after international shipping (using USA) you will still be paying $70. I haven't heard of this store prior to today and have never used it, so I can't personally vouch for this offer.

I think you have a point there, but that's 70 with shipping included ^^

On my particular case, I have only ordered small goods form the cooljapangoods.com site (like the striped pantie =p), But I live in Mexico =) and It was a very cheap shipment, at any rate a pantie is not as heavy as this huge Action figure =S

So in the end 70 Bucks is alright, as long as they don't charge you extra shipping n.n

じゃねー ^^
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Funny enough I saw the LM figma before I ever saw the movie. My friend and I kept discussing how cool he looked, so I decided we should watch the movie properly. I'd been hemming and hawwing about the 3800 yen price tag for a while, but once I saw him in action I was sold. I was lucky enough to grab him when he was still in stock around, for like $42 before ship ($49 with). He's really precious, I love him to death. Kazma is a lot of fun too, but I had to swap through an international buddy to get him at non-gouge prices.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
As much as I enjoyed Summer Wars, this figure is a pass for me. The price is just ... confusing, and this is being nice.

There is no call for this figure to be this high in price, especially considering others before it came with more. I mean, this figure doesn't even come with a d-base, which was what made the Golgo 13 figure really nice for its price.

My only conclusion to the price of this figure comes at the knowledge the show is an OVA, not a long-running series which can generate interest with at least 13 weeks+ (re-runs not included).

However, it's still rather steep. Not that it matters: it's selling out (which doesn't bode well for this line having an entry price).

Oh, and as for the Japanese pun: no, I don't get it. My vocabulary is limited to "neko" and "baka", which I believe, when put together, means "Can I haz cheezeburger, idiot?".
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Oh, and as for the Japanese pun: no, I don't get it. My vocabulary is limited to "neko" and "baka", which I believe, when put together, means "Can I haz cheezeburger, idiot?".

Okay, I'll explain. TL NOTE.

AI = artificial intelligence
"ai" = love

So they decided to call the AI Love Machine.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
"ai" = love

Neutral

I thought it was "suki" (好き), which is why I never considered "ai".

That makes 23 words I know. Two more, and I qualify for the "And you still suck at Kanji!" achievement.

Oh, and speaking of Kanji, the only reason I knew "suki" above was thanks to School Rumble, which translated it as "love".

I'm blaming FUNimation.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought he was named after the song by The Miracles? I feel like that was brought up in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2