• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Favorites" threads - New moderating policy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys! Just a friendly reminder from your neighbourhood moderator:

There are, and have always been, a lot of "What's your favorite _____?" threads on the ANN forums. While we allow these threads, please be advised that if you do not provide a reason* to back up your choice of a favorite, your post WILL be deleted!

This is to ensure that the topics will still carry a modicum of discussion and not disintegrate into list threads. So if you see that your post in a list thread has been deleted, you'll know the reason why. Also, if you see any of your peers post a "list" and you think the post should be reported to the moderators, please do so!

Thanks everyone!!

*Please be advised that something like, "I like Mr. X because he is really funny" does not suffice as a reason for a thread that might ask for your favorite funny charaters.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hear, hear!

We want more of this:

jfrog wrote:
I'm a pretty big fan of Macross: Do You Remember Love? I know it's technically mecha anime, but the love triangle is just as integral to the plot as the war with the Zentraedi and Meltrandi. I know it's cheesy and way too melodramatic for its own good, but that's why I love it so much.

(From the thread Best Romance Anime of all Time - excerpt from longer post)

Onmyoji wrote:
Kentaro Oe from Golden Boy

He is just so odd that he makes you laugh hysterically when he gets caught in some of the worst situations imaginable. And some of his funny facial expressions are off the wall hilarious.

His facial expressions even go more distorted than Onizuka's

But Onizuka is just as funny as Kentaro for the same reasons and then some. Especially when he spoiler[acted like Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star] i almost choked laughing.

But the funniest characters have to be Arumi and Sasshi from Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. There antics just cannot be topped as they are pee yourself funny. When it comes to being funny no one compares to them.

(From the thread Funniest Anime character ever - full post quoted)

and less of this:

{Name withheld as a kindness} wrote:
Beyblade is probably the worst one I can think of

(From the thread What's the worst anime you know of? - full post quoted!)

{Name withheld as a kindness} wrote:
mine is G Gundam. my favorite. gundam was and still is from that seires the japan gundam!

(From the thread What do you think is the best Anime that you have seen? - full post quoted!)

At least, that's my opinion. Usual disclaimers apply - heck, some people might actually prefer the "New Math" style of writing. What do I know? Stranger things have happened...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Addendum to the request:

Starting tomorrow, I will be keeping a list of all the people that post "lists." Three strikes, and you'll be banned for a week.

It may sound a little extreme, but we've said time and time again, even in the rules, that list threads were frowned upon.

You've been warned.

Thanks.
Animage~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
hm. Also no "have you seen" threads. There is only 2 pssible answer to those. Yes or No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I know - we could start a "Have you read Teh Rules?" list thread.

I'm betting that about 40% would answer honestly. The rest would also say "Yes." Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
hm. Also no "have you seen" threads. There is only 2 pssible answer to those. Yes or No.

True, but there is still the possibility of further discussion with such threads. They should somewhat conform to Sakechan's statement of the need for a substantiating (or follow-up, in this case) statement.

Example:

Topic: Have you ever seen Evangelion? (one of the more "discussable" animes, but effective for this demonstration)

Post: Yes, I have in fact seen it! I thought the overall series was very good, but I didn't understand Episode X. You know, the part where <spoiler spoiler blah blah blah>. I was wondering if anyone knows any possible meanings of it....

"Yes/No" answers should then be met with the same fate as "list posts."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Utils

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I just joined this forum and was hoping to escape the list thread phenomenon that seems to plague every anime board ever concieved. I guess my dream of finding an anime board with intelligent and topical discourse will never be realized.

DAMN YOU AOL. DAMN YOU FOR MAKING IT SO EASY FOR DUMB PEOPLE TO GET ON THE INTERNETS.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Utils wrote:
I guess my dream of finding an anime board with intelligent and topical discourse will never be realized.

Welcome to ANN, a list thread-free and (hopefully) most intelligent anime forum and encyclopedia. Moderation of list threads, poor spelling and/or grammar, one-liners and profanities will not scare off users but only make this place more popular.

Utils wrote:
DAMN YOU AOL. DAMN YOU FOR MAKING IT SO EASY FOR DUMB PEOPLE TO GET ON THE INTERNETS.

As a computer user for 21 years and netizen for 12 years, I have to say

AMEN to that! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Why hasn't anyone come up with a stupid test yet? I'd be interested to see who would qualify.
elniro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I'm betting that about 40% would answer honestly. The rest would also say "Yes." Wink

- abunai

lol i would answer truthfully... well i'm saying what my answer would be Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
elniro wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

lol i would answer truthfully... well i'm saying what my answer would be Wink

I'm guessing that you'd answer "yes", just like everyone else. Whether you'd be telling the truth is another question.

- abunai
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
does skimming through count? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Empyrical

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank god. Smile ..Lest we forget my rantings on this subject one year ago. Wink

EDIT: Blech, it's been here since start of the first semester... I really was gone for a while.

*Returns quietly*
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
How about the thread I started "Show us your DVD shelves (primarily anime)".

A few idiots started turning it into a list thread, when I only wanted pictures. Is there anyway to delete the posts that are only lists, while leaving the posts with pictures or links to pictures alone? I'll bump the thread so it'll be easier to find.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1