• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Website: Keanu Reeves Passes on Akira, Most of Staff Let Go

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Reeves was even considered to play high schooler Kaneda doesn't give me much hope for this project.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
The fact that Reeves was even considered to play high schooler Kaneda doesn't give me much hope for this project.

Blasphemy! Keanu Reeves is obviously destined to play the roles of Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop and Kaneda from Akira. Any other such beliefs are absurd!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't know if this is good news or bad news for anime fans. Well for me, Keanu Reeves not casting in Akira could be a good thing. But the plan for the movie is in limbo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kaneda was a terrible idea from the get go but I have no problem with the idea of him playing Spike Spiegal. Granted, he won't have the massive voice dick to fudge our ear pussies with like Steve Blum does, but I think he has the look, the skill (martial arts wise anyway) and the presence to pull off the character.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
JoBlo.com wrote:
...we can confirm that Reeves has officially joined Brad Pitt, James Franco and Ryan Gosling as actors who've passed on starring in AKIRA.

Huh, didn't know that these other actors also declined. While Brad Pitt would definitely not fit a young gang-member look (if they are indeed still even thinking of keeping the characters as teenagers or at least very young adults), I don't think Gosling or Franco would've been so bad... at least they're in their early 30s!

If Oscar Wao was still alive-- or his author Junot Diaz, for that matter, since he still is-- I'd have to wonder what the reaction would be from one of them on the whole American Akira project so far. Probably not so hot, if Diaz is as nerdy as I believe he is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Why the fark do they keep insisting it's continuing? Did they already dump too much money into it, Superman Returns-style? Or, is it like the new Superman movie, in that, if they don't sound like they're doing something with it, they'll lose the rights? Also, that press release is bs. At this point, there's a better chance of us seeing a Dark Tower movie moving into production before a Hollywood Akira. Rolling Eyes

outlaw: Dude, stop reading hentai for a second and read a novel instead. Laughing
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Aarrrg! Just cancel it already!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well at less he did some thing right this time
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, development hell, I stab at thee! Laughing

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Kaneda is not gonna be a high-schooler in the remake. From the article: "Steve Kloves was brought in to rewrite the script and presumably age Kaneda, the film's lead character, in order to attract a star with a higher profile."

There are not too many star teenagers.
And ya guys would probably hate them anyways, because ya guys hate boys that are popular with mainstream girls. Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to see a live action Akira *or* Cowboy Bebop. I don't see why anyone would, but I guess some do.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I don't want to see a live action Akira *or* Cowboy Bebop. I don't see why anyone would, but I guess some do.

Presumably people who've never seen Akira nor Cowboy Bebop and couldn't be bothered to watch a cartoon. Laughing
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Smith's story about Superman Lives keeps coming to mind.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
At this point Warner Bros. shouldn't even bother trying to do a live-action version of Akira and just go for something based on it instead. Start from scratch and write a script borrowing the basic concept while acknowledging the source. Akira has many elements available for a great movie but trying to actually duplicate it will only piss off those who know the story and confuse those who don't.

outlawwolf wrote:
Granted, he won't have the massive voice dick to fudge our ear pussies with like Steve Blum does,

Hold on there Shakespeare, next time word it so we can all understand. Wink
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Gerald Rathcolbe was right! I got worked up over nothing. A nothing that even if a something doesn't mean much of anything to someone like me. Three cheers for apathy.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Can honestly say that was probably was a good idea, but I really do think the whole Akira should be scraped and be done with.

Considering the age gap between Keanu Reeves and the main character, I don't think it would have worked.

But I'll give Reeves this, at least he knew when to pull back and call it quits. Apparently that is a skill that not every one posses, though I can see how it needs to be learned and how it may not come naturally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2