• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publishers Concerned That Borders Bookstores Will Fail

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Barnes & Noble reportedly bid on 10 of Borders' stores, as well as the Borders.com online store and customer information.

I really hope this means "online store and customer information" as a set (i.e. the information is part of the online store, and BN would just be taking over the storefront, customers and all) and not that Borders is selling their customer information. I already rarely shop at Borders, and BN less, but that would guarantee I never shop at either of them again. I have no interest in dealing with companies that are willing to buy and sell my personal information.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I have no interest in dealing with companies that are willing to buy and sell my personal information.

What about a "Security Breech" with the Border Rewards System? And the fact the Employees knew about it, but the company refused to do anything about it?
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Kind of sad, but oh well. Somehow, I guess it's sadder to see a bookstore chain close than a movie store chain close.

That's so weird though; I always thought of BN as a company that does worse than Borders.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, when a company is apparently trying to right itself and decides that closing every store in Wisconsin's largest market, a metropolitan area of over a million people, is a good idea, I don't think the company really deserves to survive.

I mean, Who would want the only "new" bookstore in the middle of a busy downtown Milwaukee, or a constantly packed store adjacent to a thriving mall? Not Borders, that's who.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Well, when a company is apparently trying to right itself and decides that closing every store in Wisconsin's largest market, a metropolitan area of over a million people, is a good idea, I don't think the company really deserves to survive.

I mean, Who would want the only "new" bookstore in the middle of a busy downtown Milwaukee, or a constantly packed store adjacent to a thriving mall? Not Borders, that's who.
Well with a bigger picture view they're probably not thinking which cities within each state is most profitable but which cities nationwide. If they decide that Milwaukee is not one of the top performers, then the entire city and surrounding areas get axed off their list of cities to remain in.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been anxious about this. I don't want Borders to close, but what can I do? It'd be great if Barnes and Noble purchased it. This way, it's one big bookstore, instead of two rival ones. And in some ways, Borders won't be truly gone, it will just have been purchased by someone else.

Quote:
That's so weird though; I always thought of BN as a company that does worse than Borders.

It's been the other way around, sorry.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Well with a bigger picture view they're probably not thinking which cities within each state is most profitable but which cities nationwide. If they decide that Milwaukee is not one of the top performers, then the entire city and surrounding areas get axed off their list of cities to remain in.

Most likely they looked at the profitability of each store, without considering that if they weren't competing against each other than the one(s) left would have done more business. The Mall they left still has a Suncoast Video, if that isn't proof of a good location I don't know what is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
If the lease isn't astronomical (and it probably is), I'm willing to bet that the NYC Penn Station/MSG site is one of the ten stores B&N is interested in acquiring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1