• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Media Parent Bids on Barnes & Noble Bookstores

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
B&N seems to be doing so well right now, I'd hate to see a new owner with no experience in this area (that I'm aware of) step in and potentially ruin everything.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
B&N seems to be doing so well right now, I'd hate to see a new owner with no experience in this area (that I'm aware of) step in and potentially ruin everything.

Emerje

The general consensus seems to be that they're angling for control over the Nook, which is sort of interesting. We'll see.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Barnes & Noble itself had offered to purchase its rival bookstore chain Borders.

Hmm... "Barnes & Borders" has a nice ring to it...
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Borders can get make on its feet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well this is good if there a Barnes & Noble near you but for those with only Borders near them can only hope that they start doing better soon
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Was that sarcasm? LOL

Barnes and Noble is in only slightly better shape than Borders. In fact, they had a string of losses than ran over a year. The only part of their business that is growing is Nook, but it's only marginally profitable due to the massive amounts of capital B&N is investing. They even recently cut their dividend to free up capital. Cutting your dividend to free up cash is never the sign of a health company.

Now, they have a better chance at pulling through than Borders, but their retail business is going to continue to be a drag on them. There is a reason they were put up for sale after all.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems like an odd thing for a media company to buy a book store company, even considering the nook. Though I guess if they want to get their hands on a tablet like device, that's probably the easiest to get.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
giapet wrote:

The general consensus seems to be that they're angling for control over the Nook, which is sort of interesting. We'll see.

hmm, that IS interesting. There's gotta be a competitor for Kindle out there somewhere, right? (Well, not necessarily; all these years have gone by and there's still no real competition for iPod.) I'd still like to have a little variety to choose from when I eventually get an ebook, though. Choosing between Kindle or... larger Kindle... just doesn't have quite the excitement factor of actual comparison shopping.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Son, lemme tell you something about Corporate Politics. Get yourself a hot cup of coco, this is gonna take a while.........
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
giapet wrote:

hmm, that IS interesting. There's gotta be a competitor for Kindle out there somewhere, right? (Well, not necessarily; all these years have gone by and there's still no real competition for iPod.) I'd still like to have a little variety to choose from when I eventually get an ebook, though. Choosing between Kindle or... larger Kindle... just doesn't have quite the excitement factor of actual comparison shopping.

Actually I'm sure Amazon is in a rush to get the latest Kindle (color) out now. It may be based solely on numbers shipped (Amazon doesn't release the actual sales figures - but if you're buying something from Amazon, it's shipped) but so far this year the Nook has sold more than the Kindle.

I got a Nook for Christmas and my Kindle friends are envious of the iPad-sih features and color. They want to read comics too.

I never liked the Borders stores when I visisted them. Too much focus on music and DVDs, when I was just an anti-social bookworm with a book looking for a comfy chair. Barnes and Nobles always got my business when I was even given the option of a Borders.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Same here. I love Borders and am doing everything in my financial power to support them. I like a lotta things about B&N too but they don't have the plethora of coupons that Borders offers, and their membership discount is lesser in comparison, too.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
I just hope this does not end the Brick & Mortar bookstore.

I really enjoy going into a bookstore (be it Barnes & Noble or Borders) and looking.

The local Borders did finally close down, but I rarely went to it.

The so called "discounts" that both places have are not very good IMO.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

This is what I'm afraid of. If this trend continues and both Borders and B&N are on the way out, we'll probably be left with: 1) just specialty booksellers, i.e., little stores that sell art books or antique books, and; 2) mainstream physical books being sold in departments within big box general retailers like Walmart, Target, etc. All other physical books will be sold through Amazon and other Internet retailers, and ebooks will make up the rest of "book" sales in the U.S.

Who really wants to see this happen?? I don't. There's a place for the general bookstore, the brick and mortar place where you can walk in and just browse through the books, make new discoveries and chat with fellow book lovers.

Things are changing so quickly that it's hard to see what will happen next. Shocked
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Same here. I love Borders and am doing everything in my financial power to support them. I like a lotta things about B&N too but they don't have the plethora of coupons that Borders offers, and their membership discount is lesser in comparison, too.

Given how the bankruptcy proceedings are, no firm buisness plan from them, and how the Publishers are really not giving Borders any wiggle room, I'd say Borders is toast come Fall. Late Summer if any.

EricDent wrote:

I really enjoy going into a bookstore (be it Barnes & Noble or Borders) and looking.

The local Borders did finally close down, but I rarely went to it.

The so called "discounts" that both places have are not very good IMO.

So, you want a B&M Bookstore, yet don't support the existing B&M. Um, Hypocrisy much?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1