• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki DVDs Delayed Again?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
OK, now I'm losing my patience. Dalays are one thing, I can understand why they need to happen, but this goes beyond a mere dalay. I do not know whether to blame gross incompetence over at Disney or a deliberate lack of enthusiasm for Ghibli movies (which makes no sense - if you didn't want to do the project why buy the rights.)
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Could you suck it any more, Disney?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even seen a Miyazaki movie (sadly Anime cry), but this just sounds too weird, though I'm sure they must have a good reason (hopefully). Not like I have the money yet anyway... Sad.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
As someone waiting for the Zeta Gundam boxset, I share your pain...
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, this has happened so many times that there's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Am I suprised? Not at all. But then being in the UK I suppose we'll end up getting it a year or a half after the Americans anyway.

The deal was done in 1996 right? Why does it take 9 years for them to release 7 of the 13 movies they own the rights for?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Because Disney is the lazy company it is. At least Micheal Isner stepped down recently. Maybe Disney will improve.

After all, they claimed a couple of Pixar's movies would be a failure (after that Pixar left Disney)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I posted in the other thread (quoting myself):

Glory Questor wrote:
It'd be easier if there were more information on the subject, and some solid feedback from Disney on the "why". Can anyone find something? (I checked Disney.com, but all I saw was... well see it for yourself.

I'm still stumped at this. Now, they aren't even mentioning Kiki's Delivery Service or Castle in the Sky! Mad

Disney should not be handling the Studio Ghibli anime. They are just not giving them enough attention, both in the theaters and on DVD. The three mentioned DVDs haven't been seen here in a very long time, and the fans who missed them the first time are lining up to get them (myself included). I don't want to wait another 6 months to a year to get these.

As I mentioned before, if I were Studio Ghibli, I would not be happy at all with this whole situation. I just wish there was more information on what's going on up there at Disney.

Last edited by Glory Questor on Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Laputa / Caslte in the Sky was dubbed in 1999 if I remember yet it took 5 years for it to be released in the UK, why is that? For heavens sake there were no extras, dubtitles, the packaging was cheapest you could get.

Studio Ghibli agreed to sell the rights to Disney because they were going to release them with no cuts (am I correct?) well to the tell you the truth, I would rather have a few little cuts if it meant I didn't have to wait many many many years and the releases were atleast advertised a fair bit and the DVDs weren't cheaply/poorly made. 9 years since the rights were sold next year still only 7 of the 13 movies. How many years do we have to wait for the rest?

These days Disney movies are released on DVD after 6 months, you can forgive some Ghibli fans like myself for getting annoyed each time we're told the release dates have been delayed. What's more annoying is that there is no or little communication with Disney and the fans about the releases.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
we've already been waiting long enough

[Edited: No Swearing -t]
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:
pardon my french, but what the f*ck? we've already been waiting long enough

Sorry Disney are too busy releasing sequels to every single animated film they've ever made and making many more sequels of their Pixar films. They just don't have the time or money to release a couple of 'old' films by studio ghibli.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
** laughs and falls off his rocker **

Disney is damned incompetent and everyone is finally seeing it. They don't care nothing about the fans only with pissing off anime fans and prolonging release dates so they can make even more money because they know everyone is going to buy their inferior crap.

Disney has such a problem with declining profits that they're trying to capitalize on anime. They need to stay away from this genre and stick to what they know best: inferior american cartoons.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Disney has such a problem with declining profits that they're trying to capitalize on anime. They need to stay away from this genre and stick to what they know best: inferior american cartoons.

Don't forget that Disney are now leeching of Pixar by making a Toy Story 3 & 4. No doubt they will do sequels for Monsters Inc. Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Cars. Seeing as they own the films and Pixar don't. Disney now thing 3D animation is the way now, so they create their new department to do the Pixar sequels.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It could be Ghibli or Buena Vista Japan being a bunch of .... about the licensing. But I'll just chalk it up as another conspiracy theory. I'm hoping that .... Eisner hasn't taken his argument about 2-d being "dead" as another excuse to bury the Miyazaki flicks. Anyway, he'll be out in two years, and Roy will save the day.

[Edited: Don't Swear -t]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
More than likely, those sequals wont be as good as Pixar's movies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3