• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Sharing Foreign Films on Nico Nico

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Of course, what's this gotta do with anime fans when it deals with foreign films. Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Moving right along the fascist highway. All for your own good.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
That happens if you upload movies that did great or got a half/half rating at the box office. I never seen the listed films that were listed as the uploaded films, but usually the only common movies on some streaming websites only have bad films with 1 out of 5 star ratings.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
So... he uploaded a big blockbuster with Angelina Jolie to an open streaming site... this guy really don't know how the internet works does he?! ¬¬

Why the hell would he want to share that crap anyway?!

That aside, another stupidly obvious example of how out of touch with reality "law" is. They don't have the simplest notion of how internet works and go around bending to corporations living in the 80's and doing their bidding.

The big sad part is that the ones to fall are the most honest people that actually share for the sake of sharing something they enjoyed, and end up branded as evil burglars doing this out of some sense of monetary gain.
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine the day a person gets busted in Japan for Emulation and ROMs of long gone Famicom games and Turbo Graphix games. No, not modern games, even I know I should buy them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
711 wrote:
So... he uploaded a big blockbuster with Angelina Jolie to an open streaming site... this guy really don't know how the internet works does he?! ¬¬

Why the hell would he want to share that crap anyway?!

Yeah, he should be spending his time sharing Aki Sora instead to stik it to da man! Laughing
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Uploading foreign films, AKA Hollywood movies, is bound to get you caught. *Facepalm*
Gage

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
There's so much file-sharing nowadays... You would think authorities would go after the big fish, hmm? Dunno, just my thought...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
@Gage

"Authorities" don't have much choice on that fact, they are mostly just conducting the job in stead of corporations and lobbied politics (by the same corporations).

That said, they go after the easiest targets, if they would go after big fishes the whole endeavor wouldn't be as lucrative for them. For instance, the Hurt Locker case is set to bring in more revenue from litigation than their whole box office profit, specially because they have to spend so little with legalities and the defendants end up with no legal backing what-so-ever.

Trying to pose a case against vocal parties such as the IsoHunt, Pirate Bay, Google and such in the other hand cost them millions and millions on lawyers and lobby and have little prospect of return. In particular if we consider they are fighting a loosing battle when trying to argue why their outdated business model should trump over basic human rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1