• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jobs in the Anime and Related Industry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Advertising experience: Check
Business Development: Check
Pursuing a Marketing Degree: Check
Lives in the Greater Montreal Area: Anime cry

*sigh

There's always a catch.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Sad

This is actually going to happen more and more with ANN jobs. We're going to need to open an actual office sometime soon, this is something I've always been against (I like working from home), but the need for a proper location to ship PA from changes everything.

And if we have an office, we may as well make use of it.

-t
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I think having an office to go to work to is a better idea than working at home. I've work at home before and you become lazy or easily distracted.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
By the way, I'm gonna make the presumption that a majority of our readers are US-based; therefore, it'd make sense to specify in the ad whether the salary is US$20K or Canadian. Quite a bit of difference there, eh? x_X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
Not much of a difference any more actually.

But yes, it's $20k Canadian. I figured that since it specified that the applicant must live in Montreal, this would be fairly obvious.

If you compare cost of living, earning $20k Canadian in Montreal is similar to earning about US$30k living in Boston. It's not a great salary, but it's quite fair, especially given that the applicant need not have graduated yet.

-t
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:27 am Reply with quote
Ok, I've been told several different things about the Viz Freelance Comic artist job I've been intrested. The discription is:

VIZ is currently in need of freelance comic book artists for lettering and touch-up assignments.

Candidates need to have experience working with digital data and directly from art pages. Knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator is also preferred.

Viz produces a full line of monthly comic books, graphic novels, children's books and prestige-format art books. The ability to work in tandem with editors under strict deadline pressure is required.

Now could someone tell me what exactly they mean by touch-ups and lettering, if someone knows? Would it mean doing the lettering to bubbles, sound effects? Doing touchups to the soundeffects, alterations that got on the manga during the scanning process?

Or is it something more like cover design and layout?

Also, by Freelance, does that mean you can work at home, or you have to physically be near them and in their building?

Sorry, I've never really worked much before outside of Dairy Queen and a radio station, so I'm not too familar with these kinds of things.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Now could someone tell me what exactly they mean by touch-ups and lettering, if someone knows? Would it mean doing the lettering to bubbles, sound effects? Doing touchups to the soundeffects, alterations that got on the manga during the scanning process?

This generally consists of adding in english sound effects, and then making it look like they were part of the original art.

Quote:
Also, by Freelance, does that mean you can work at home, or you have to physically be near them and in their building?

It doesn't. Freelance means you aren't an employee, and that Viz doesn't owe you benefits or a steady flow of work / money. Depending on the client (Viz in this case) freelance workers sometimes need to work in the client's office, sometimes need to be able to walk into the office once in a while (ie: live nearby) and other times can work entirely from home, far away. I assume that this job works in either the second or third manner, but you'd have to ask Viz for specifics.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1