• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Objectionable Content

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmangelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Would it be possible to improve the "Objectionable content" information in the encyclopedia so that it might better reflect the kind of stuff that is in a series?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
You might want to specify exactly what you mean by "improve" because how well it describes "objectionable content" can land on either side of what one deems objectionable.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The best example I can think of would be to compare the last two shows I watched, which are School Rumble and Full Metal Panic.

School Rumble:
Quote:
Objectionable content: Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)

Full Metal Panic:
Quote:
Objectionable content: Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)

These quotes are from the Encyclopedia pages for each show. These shows have very different levels of "Objectionable content" but they are labeled the same. School rumble has brief nudity, but Full Metal Panic has full frontal nudity. School Rumble has schoolyard fights, but Full Metal Panic has slit throats. I just think it would be nice to have a resource to tell me theses kinds of things before I watch a show so I can make an informed decision whether I want to watch it or not.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
of course, this all is relative, but FMP might have not just "significant", but "severe" level of objectionable content:

"Objectionable content: Severe (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)"
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Fixing incorrect information is just a matter of making an error report. Having seen School Rumble, I agree that it doesn't deserve the "significant" label and downgraded it to "mild".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
I might be making assumptions here, but I think that mmangelly meant that (s)he wanted the age ratings to note the actual objectionable content. For instance, "Intense (graphic depictions of sex, drug use, or bloodshed)."

Bacanno is labeled intense due to the fact that two characters spend about half the series covered in blood from dismembering people, but there is no nudity or sex at all.

Sakura Diaries has the same label, but there is no violence whatsoever, just lots of nudity and cousin on cousin almost sex. I don't particularly remember any swearing.

Also, I know that sometimes it will explain in the source field, but not always. We're one for three with my examples.

Desert Punk has mostly bloodless violence, innuendo and fanservice but no nudity or actual sex, and cursing but no F-bombs. It has about a mid level dose of all three.

All three are justly categorized as intense, but for very different reasons, and I think that mmangelly wants to know which things are in which shows with high frequency. You know, in case (s)he has a specific aversion to boobs or blood or cursing.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I might be making assumptions here, but I think that mmangelly meant that (s)he wanted the age ratings to note the actual objectionable content. For instance, "Intense (graphic depictions of sex, drug use, or bloodshed)."

Bacanno is labeled intense due to the fact that two characters spend about half the series covered in blood from dismembering people, but there is no nudity or sex at all.

Sakura Diaries has the same label, but there is no violence whatsoever, just lots of nudity and cousin on cousin almost sex. I don't particularly remember any swearing.

Also, I know that sometimes it will explain in the source field, but not always. We're one for three with my examples.

Desert Punk has mostly bloodless violence, innuendo and fanservice but no nudity or actual sex, and cursing but no F-bombs. It has about a mid level dose of all three.

All three are justly categorized as intense, but for very different reasons, and I think that mmangelly wants to know which things are in which shows with high frequency. You know, in case (s)he has a specific aversion to boobs or blood or cursing.

You understood exactly what I trying to say.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:
Would it be possible to improve the "Objectionable content" information in the encyclopedia so that it might better reflect the kind of stuff that is in a series?

At the very least it would be nice to have the "(bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)" changed.
That just tells me that the show has at least one of the three, but not which one. If it has bloody violence and swearing then say "bloody violence and swearing" and eliminate the "and/or nudity."

I think that somebody else said essentially the same thing earlier in the thread, but I just wanted to say it myself, just in case I was misunderstanding something.Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
mmangelly wrote:

At the very least it would be nice to have the "(bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)" changed.
That just tells me that the show has at least one of the three, but not which one. If it has bloody violence and swearing then say "bloody violence and swearing" and eliminate the "and/or nudity."

In the (far?) future this will be fixed by recording specific content markers for each episode (e.g. for episode 5: blood=heavy & nudity=none). But for now I agree that it's confusing to see "bloody violence" on an anime that was marked as "Significant" only because of its nudity. So now the description (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity) will only be displayed when hovering on the label (Significant). It's not a perfect solution but it's less jarring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:
The best example I can think of would be to compare the last two shows I watched, which are School Rumble and Full Metal Panic.

School Rumble:
Quote:

Full Metal Panic:
Quote:

These quotes are from the Encyclopedia pages for each show. These shows have very different levels of "Objectionable content" but they are labeled the same. School rumble has brief nudity, but Full Metal Panic has full frontal nudity. School Rumble has schoolyard fights, but Full Metal Panic has slit throats. I just think it would be nice to have a resource to tell me theses kinds of things before I watch a show so I can make an informed decision whether I want to watch it or not.

It has been a while since I've seen either of these shows...School Rumble is rated PG on the box, and FMP is TV14.

School Rumble I remember being a very tame comedy with no violence or nudity. I don't recall FMP having any nudity, and even the violence was not very graphic. The Second Raid was darker on the violence side, and Fumoffu season had fan service, but no full nudity.

But once again, totally going off memory here on shows I saw a while ago.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:

School Rumble:
Quote:

Full Metal Panic:
Quote:

It has been a while since I've seen either of these shows...School Rumble is rated PG on the box, and FMP is TV14.

School Rumble I remember being a very tame comedy with no violence or nudity. I don't recall FMP having any nudity, and even the violence was not very graphic. The Second Raid was darker on the violence side, and Fumoffu had fan service, but no full nudity.

But once again, totally going off memory here on shows I saw a while ago.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
^^^^^

Nothing obnoxious but I guess you could say that Kaname in FMP is "naked" (in that featureless, lacking nipples, way) quite a lot in her whispered state.

And one of the funniest bits in a rather early episode of SR has Harima bare-ass naked in a confrontation with Eri... but once again- nothing obnoxious, you might see his butt, but its all done in good humor.

So, technically naked, but not practically objectionable to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^^^

Nothing obnoxious but I guess you could say that Kaname in FMP is "naked" (in that featureless, lacking nipples, way) quite a lot in her whispered state.

And one of the funniest bits in a rather early episode of SR has Harima bare-ass naked in a confrontation with Eri... but once again- nothing obnoxious, you might see his butt, but its all done in good humor.

So, technically naked, but not practically objectionable to me.

Thanks for the detail on that. It has been too long, so don't remember those parts. All in all very tame stuff compared to a lot of what is in newer anime these days.

I do remember the girls bath episode in FMP Fumoffu as having the funniest & most clever convenient cencorship of every angle some object in the foreground being in the way of girls private parts. I thought it was hilarious, and no doubt they had a kick making that episode.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out that Kaname is naked in the OP.

The BBFC rated all episodes of FMP and Fumoffu as either 12 or PG (e.g. the volume containing the Fumoffu hot springs episode got a 12 for "moderate sex references and violence")

The 14 episodes of Sukuran that made it out over here all got a 12 (again, moderate violence and/or sex references)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
randomuser2349

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Nudity does not mean sexual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2