• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Android Smartphones Made Into Manga Girl Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I was in the middle of doing this with my phone and manga boys but then I suddenly realized how idiotic it was.

Obviously, such a realization did not hold these people back.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I was in the middle of doing this with my phone and manga boys but then I suddenly realized how idiotic it was.

Obviously, such a realization did not hold these people back.
I think it's a cultural thing. In Shinto pretty much any object could be a "kami", this seems similar to the idea.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
So this isn't a book on how to draw painfully generic manga girls? I couldn't tell from the cover.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder has someone did something similar for Apple's iOS devices (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad). That's unless Apple doesn't approve....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
OK now it's getting stoopid.... Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
I guess the saying is true, droid does what others don't. Apparently generic manga girls is the new cool thing to do with phones?

A very odd/potentially creepy concept (given how young those girls on the cover look) but I imagine this will bring some revenue regardless.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Ppppfffffff, you Droid fan geeks can eat this junk up all you want, I'm gonna party my face off with my bare bones Tracfone. No camera, no QWERTY, no custom ring tones. Aw yeah, this thing is hella tight. Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I guess the saying is true, droid does what others don't. Apparently generic manga girls is the new cool thing to do with phones?

Nah, it's called "Moe anthropomorphism" and has been going on for many years now. Every computer operating system, some websites and programs, some non-android phones, and various other devices have some sort of moe girl representing them. There have been a couple attempts at doing the iPhone that I don't think have stuck, same with the iPad, but there is an iPod-tan that's popular. However those girls usually have some sort of characteristic to them like incorporating the buttons, colors, or logo into their outfits and hair that hearken back to the object they represent. But these just look like they the artists took random girls from their sketch books and called it good enough.

DTJB wrote:
Ppppfffffff, you Droid fan geeks can eat this junk up all you want, I'm gonna party my face off with my bare bones Tracfone. No camera, no QWERTY, no custom ring tones. Aw yeah, this thing is hella tight. Razz

Yeah, I'm rocking the same Nokia 2126i Tracfone I've had since 2006. It has an LED flashlight on the end! Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
A very odd/potentially creepy concept (given how young those girls on the cover look) but I imagine this will bring some revenue regardless.
Anime: Large breasts = old enough no matter how young she looks.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Large breasts = old enough no matter how young she looks.

Yeah, there are a few ~12-yr-old gravure idols with breasts large enough to be legal. Laughing
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Oops, enurtsol let me correct my post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1